Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Was it not meant to be 1 million monthly average for April, May and june yet the latest estimates show us receiving 4m over 3 months? Or have I got it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

UK MHRA have announced they are offering vaccines other than AstraZeneca to Under-30s.

Interesting point in their statement is "where possible".

It can still be used in the age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Great to have those numbers.

Based on deliveries and vaccination rates, we have been pretty consistently at a place where we've used 80-85% of all of the vaccines we've received. That 15-20% is whatever has just been recently delivered.

Rough calculation suggests then that based on a cumulative total of receiving 5.1m doses into the country by the end of June, we will have administered about 4.1m doses.

I think a dose 1 / dose 2 breakdown of that number is probably a lot of work because there's a mix of Janssen (1 shot), AZ (12 weeks) and Pfizer/Moderna (4 weeks) in there.

But nevertheless 80% of 3.8m people having been offered their first dose by the end of June seems like a soft target given those numbers. If there are few delivery hiccups, then this is all really positive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

EMA’s safety committee (PRAC) has concluded today that unusual blood clots with low blood platelets should be listed as very rare side effects of Vaxzevria (formerly COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca).

https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1379794539456688137?s=19

Its not the end of it , they dont have enough age stratified data yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

EMA’s safety committee (PRAC) has concluded today that unusual blood clots with low blood platelets should be listed as very rare side effects of Vaxzevria (formerly COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca).

Good that it is to be listed as rare side effect , and that vaccination clearly recommended to be continued by EMA .
    Much better information and will be easier for those involved in vaccination to explain risks/ benefits to patients now .

Similar immune response to aypical Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia which can occur rarely , but more often in dialysis patients receiving continuous heparin infusion.
    This as discussed before , triggers an antibody reaction causing platelet clumping and clot formation , in these cases in one of the major blood vessels in the brain , the sagiital sinus .

Signs and symptoms may include severe headache or neurological changes like stroke , bruising or petechia ( small purple marks on skin) , within a few days of receiving the vaccine .
    Most normal side effects of vaccine wear off within 24 to 48 hours .
    Anybody with persisting problems or side effects post vaccination should report this to their GP or health care provider and seek advice .

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    Its not the end of it , they dont have enough age stratified data yet.

And they only have data on those particular side effects reported .
    I in 100, 000 in EU , 1 in 600, 000 in UK .
    That is just incidents reported

Also if this is an immune response , I wonder if the patients involved had a previous Covid infection , and so were already sensitised to the immune response ?
    They haven't answered that ..yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

The numbers ( planned deliveries) were published - I presume after todays mini-Cabinet because the Minister for Health said in the Dail last week he'd try and publish them but strongly cautioned.

IN FAIRNESS he has absolutely no control over those numbers but will no doubt be vilified if AZ go potty again so I can see why they'd be so reluctant to publish.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Also if this is an immune response , I wonder if the patients involved had a previous Covid infection , and so were already sensitised to the immune response ?
    They haven't answered that ..yet .
    If that's the case, you might expect to see it more often in 2nd doses of AZ. Given the large time frame between doses there probably isn't enough data on that yet.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Numbers getting moved around again

Mentioned that J&J also have noted a similar side effect , but in very low numbers.

No connection with Oestrogen according to them , so don't understand the MRHA recommending restriction of use to women under 30 ..

The data available in EU not sufficient to determine any criteria for restricting administration according to age as yet, so further to come on this.

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    If that's the case, you might expect to see it more often in 2nd doses of AZ. Given the large time frame between doses there probably isn't enough data on that yet.

Most hcws reporting that the first dose side effects of AZ are worse than 2nd ,as opposed to a more pronounced reaction after the second dose of mRNA vaccines .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

PTH2009 wrote: »

If at this point you don't realise that these numbers are fluid, that they are estimates depending on a multitude of different factors, then that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Given the choice to take the 2nd AZ dose at 4 weeks or 12 weeks, do the benefits exist to make it worthwhile waiting for 12 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

smurfjed wrote: »
    Given the choice to take the 2nd AZ dose at 4 weeks or 12 weeks, do the benefits exist to make it worthwhile waiting for 12 weeks ?
    The longer between doses the better in that particularly technology

The interval for AZ doses is 12 weeks . No choice here or in EU with that .

It is the mRNA vaccines that are 4 weeks between first and second dose .

UK are doing a longer interval because they went by their own regulatory body's advice or " off piste "

A single standard dose of vaccine provided 76% protection overall against symptomatic covid-19 in the first 90 days after vaccination with protection not falling in this time frame. It is not clear, however, how long protection might last with a single dose as there were too few cases after 90 days to make any meaningful judgment.

The analyses suggest that it is the dosing interval and not the dosing level which has the greatest impact on the efficacy of the vaccine. This is in line with previous research supporting greater efficacy with longer intervals with other vaccines such as influenza and Ebola.

The study found vaccine efficacy reached 82.4% after a second dose in those with a dosing interval of 12 weeks or more (95% confidence interval 62.7% to 91.7%). If the two doses were given less than six weeks apart the efficacy was only 54.9% (CI 32.7% to 69.7%).

If AZ provides 76% up to 90 days, increasing to 82.4% after 84 days. How does the efficiency suddenly drop to 54.9% if the 2nd dose is taken within 42 days?

REF: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n326

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It is the mRNA vaccines that are 4 weeks between first and second dose .

UK are doing a longer interval because they went by their own regulatory body's advice or " off piste "

A person I know who got their first AZ dose today was told 12 weeks until second dose also

There were some very good slides in the UK Briefing, have to say if I was under 30 and healthy and offered AZ, I would turn it down at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

If AZ provides 76% up to 90 days, increasing to 82.4% after 84 days. How does the efficiency suddenly drop to 54.9% if the 2nd dose is taken within 42 days?

REF: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n326

The US trials were done with a 4 week gap with an efficacy of 76%. It is very hard to find any consistency in their trial data. Will be interesting to see what conclusion the FDA come to. I don't see it been approved. The US doesn't need it. If that is their decision hopefully it can be sent to South America to get them out of the hell they are in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If someone already has a low platelet condition like ITP, are they more at risk of this adverse affect? Would the vaccine exasperate it or is it unrelated. I know it's extremely rare just wondering if it's related.

"

I have that choice, so which is better, take it at 4 weeks or wait until 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I think that's definitely in the realm of medical advise

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AZ was tested at 12 weeks in the clinical trials and what authorities are adopting.

lbj666 wrote: »
    I think that's definitely in the realm of medical advise

Thanks, so 4 weeks it is !

I guess that the answer I’m looking for is why does the protection level go down with the 2nd dose if taken early ? Or is all of this based on that inconclusive South African study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

There were some very good slides in the UK Briefing, have to say if I was under 30 and healthy and offered AZ, I would turn it down at this point.

Do you have a link you could share?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Do you have a link you could share?

I was watching it on a UK news channel, might be on the sky news website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Vaccination having a big impact on death rate in UK.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1379861206228467712?s=09

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement