Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

Azatadine wrote: »
    Vaccination having a big impact on death rate in UK.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1379861206228467712?s=09

It's about time in fairness, their death rate in general during this has been shameful.

It does bode well for the two vaccines they're using though and as they're just starting second doses now and will have about 20million fully vaxxed by end of May, you'd hope they will see minimal deaths from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Azatadine wrote: »
    Vaccination having a big impact on death rate in UK.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1379861206228467712?s=09

Interesting statistics given Hungary's higher rate of vaccination than the rest of Europe (37% for Hungary vs~18% for Europe) due to the use of the Sputnik vaccine what is causing the spike in deaths there? Policy matters, a backdated notification of deaths or just the guard being lowered due to higher vaccination rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting debates going on in Slovakia about Sputnik. I'm no expert on Slovakian politics and someone here might know more, but it appears that the PM went on a solo run and bought 200,000 doses of the Russian vaccine. The Slovakian regulator isn't happy with the data they have received from the manufacturer, and aren't authorising it for use:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-slovakia-vaccines/slovak-drug-agency-says-it-cannot-back-sputnik-v-vaccine-due-to-lack-of-data-idUSL8N2LZ4JA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given that there many hundreds of housebound over 85 year olds that have not been vaccinated with no communications strategy in place by the various state agencies beyond a reiteration of the phrase "None left behind", then perhaps one can be forgiven for being a tad sceptical of their PR output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There were some very good slides in the UK Briefing, have to say if I was under 30 and healthy and offered AZ, I would turn it down at this point.

Saw those slides later on BBC news .
    It makes it much clearer about not giving the AZ jab to under 30s based on their now low risk of severe illness and death compared with their risk of a severe outcome statistically from the vaccine if they suffer this severe clotting response .

It would be good to see the same modelling for different age groups in Ireland, but what risk level would be considered to be at now compared to the UK?
    Probably moderate, but not high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Manach wrote: »
    Given that there many hundreds of housebound over 85 year olds that have not been vaccinated.
    Where are you getting these stats from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

NH2013 wrote: »
    Interesting statistics given Hungary's higher rate of vaccination than the rest of Europe (37% for Hungary vs~18% for Europe) due to the use of the Sputnik vaccine what is causing the spike in deaths there? Policy matters, a backdated notification of deaths or just the guard being lowered due to higher vaccination rates?

Hungary hit a massive spike in cases just when vaccination started. Huge drop in cases once they hit the magic 30 vaccines per 100. Deaths lag but there should be a big drop there in a few weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I'd be in the early 20s cohort, and tbh I would still have no issue getting the AZ jab. I've been on medication since birth for an ongoing illness, and if I'd taken heed of everything listed on the "rare: 1 in 10,000" adverse effects list, I'd have gone blind by now. I'd have had strokes, heart attacks, lupus, and even a bendy willy. I do sometimes wonder what it's like to have the privilege of not having a chronic illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know I've banged on about this before, but my parents GP has not finished the 75-80 group yet and hasn't even started on the 70 - 75. They also will not get vaccine deliveries AT ALL apparently until Monday 12th. And they have to get 2nd doses out of that too.

From my experience, mid April is a bit of a pipe dream at the moment. But I would love to be proved wrong.

For anyone who is following or recognises my rantings -

The GP finally rang today. Both are scheduled for Tuesday 20th for their first dose, at long last (ages 73 and 74).

But with a major caveat.

The GP are consistently getting less doses than expected. They vaccinated yesterday (Tue 6th) and got 70 less than they had anticipated, so had to bump 70 patients by two weeks to the 20th. They said there is a reasonable chance my folks will be bumped a further two weeks to May 4th - as they only get a delivery every two weeks.

They're happier now, but worried they'll be pushed out. Hopefully the 20th will happen, but even the 20th is taking the piss a little when it comes to "All over 70s will be offered a dose by mid April" and if they get pushed to the 4th May it'll be a right mockery of the whole thing. Fingers crossed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I've also been ranting a bit in this thread.

My mom (75, multiple pre existing conditions) got an appointment for her first dose on the 14th of April.

No way all over 70s will get their first dose by mid-April, at least not in this very large GP practise in Kerry.

Qrt wrote: »
    I'd be in the early 20s cohort, and tbh I would still have no issue getting the AZ jab. I've been on medication since birth for an ongoing illness, and if I taken heed of everything listed on the "rare: 1 in 10,000" adverse effects list, I'd have gone blind by now. I'd have had strokes, heart attacks, lupus, and even a bendy willy. I do sometimes wonder what it's like to have the privilege of not having a chronic illness.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Which illness has a side effect of a bendy willy? This is important, we must know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Which illness has a side effect of a bendy willy? This is important, we must know.

Vaginal Scoliosis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I'm on a form of beta-blockers. I'm fairly sure they are a common medication like, which makes it all the more infuriating.
    josip wrote: »
    Vaginal Scoliosis

That sounds like an awful dose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Tudiculosis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

An update before sleep all the high riskers relatives over 80 and under who have chosen to get vaccinated have had the first shot and we are now in the midst of the second rounds..bar one who got sick just before shot 2. Hard to find data on a late second pfizer shot..does anyone have links?

They have had a *mixture of pfizer, moderna and AZ. We have had a range of absolutely no side effects to being very ill.

Separetly our own gp has the vaste majority of over 70s done and is ready on their end for high riskers under 70. A great local coach transport business with accessable coaches has been ferrying people individualy that dont have transport with state of the art UV air filtration.

*Edit I dont mean all 3 in the one vial..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

This is interesting from Commissioner Breton who is heading up the EU Task Force on vaccines.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/beating-covid-19-scale-up-vaccine-production-europe-thierry-breton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is interesting from Commissioner Breton who is heading up the EU Task Force on vaccines.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/beating-covid-19-scale-up-vaccine-production-europe-thierry-breton

That's a great piece. Reassuring, and he noted that they expect J&J to fulfil in full their promised deliveries as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Shot plot update. Low points Sundays. Data correct for Ireland Gov portal as of Easter Sunday. I'll post these on Thursdays now to coincide with Sundays numbers.

H44qk70.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

3451 for Monday. Looks like BH Mondays will be like Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hope they hurry up this week. We should have a hefty enough backlog of AZ supply to get through (about 136k doses by my estimate) as well as last week's Pfizer and Moderna deliveries. Looks like supply has finally outpaced speed of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stark wrote: »
    Hope they hurry up this week. We should have a hefty enough backlog of AZ supply to get through (about 136k doses by my estimate) as well as last week's Pfizer and Moderna deliveries. Looks like supply has finally outpaced speed of delivery.
    Likely some good number of second doses to be done anyway. Having it on hand doesn't mean we can just hand it out, especially AZ. Not quite yet at the point of cutting loose.

Slovakia's drug agency Sukl says 'Sputnik V' vaccine batches delivered to the country do not have the same characteristics as batches used in The Lancet magazine studies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Slovakia's drug agency Sukl says 'Sputnik V' vaccine batches delivered to the country do not have the same characteristics as batches used in The Lancet magazine studies

Looks like they could have a got stung with a scam vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, it's called "Sputnik V" :pac:

Seriously though, none of this would be surprising. I would doubt that anyone is manufacturing fake doses of Sputnik; who would have the balls to do that.

But I have no doubt that the quality of the production would vary measurably depending on the doses intended recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

is_that_so wrote: »
    Likely some good number of second doses to be done anyway. Having it on hand doesn't mean we can just hand it out, especially AZ. Not quite yet at the point of cutting loose.

AZ has a 12 week dosing interval and we only started using it in early Feb.
    Up to yesterday's numbers we had at least 135k doses unused (205k doses used)

The problem is cohort 4 is very slow to identify and get vaccinated and that's who the backlog of AZ is earmarked for at the moment.

They should rocket through it in the mass vaccination centres for the 65-69 year olds but that's nearly 2 weeks away which is kinda frustrating since it's sitting there in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why has AZ 12 week and PFizer 4 - is there a real answer to this question can anyone tell me

Yeah called Sputnik.

I admire your optimism for a scam vaccine but no it pretty much just proves there's massive issues with it if the substance they've provided differs from what they've submitted data for.

It'll never be approved in that case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

trellheim wrote: »
    Why has AZ 12 week and PFizer 4 - is there a real answer to this question can anyone tell me

The data from AZ showed that it offered increased protection by being spaced out. It also means that more people can be given the initial vaccine when supplies are limited.

Pfizer did not recommend this spacing as their data showed good results with shorted spacing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement