Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

gally74 wrote: »
    yes he will, and its not the purpose of this thread,

We are part of the EU, with a border with our oldest friends / enemy over the past millenia,

We sourced our vaccines thru the EU,

Paul Reid and Co are well prepared to administer the vaccines, Supply will be the constraint not the Irish peoples ability to organis and get it done,

If you think 2020 was a good year to leave the EU, and source Vaccines as a small independant country, good luck with that,

The startegic gap in Europe is

1, Research (bioentek), Manufacturing etc. These need to be closed for the next pandemics in the future,

Political accountability and vaccine roll out are relevant. There are storm clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

mean gene wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll actually tell the over 85s most are in limbo
    Its their own doctor that makes the appointment not HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Just hope some changes are made in the next while that ensures we are ready for future pandemics (which will inevitably happen), from constant manufacturing of resources like glass vials, testing equipment (remember the issue we had with reagent shortage last year), robust contact tracing systems, border agreements etc.

There will be bottlenecks but fúck, we got caught pants down this time. Let's hope world leaders are fully prepared for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sky King wrote: »
    Class. So what's the timeframe till approval?

Mid March looks likely.
    Will the Health Minister last in his job until June?

It's Martin who needs to walk the plank tbh "having a Christmas" was the Taoiseach's obsession.

Personally I'd be looking at a legal case against him at this point but no one will go down that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I am trying to find a decent source of information for quantities of vaccine coming into Ireland for all manufacturers over the next six weeks. IS there a source anywhere ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Personally I'd be looking at a legal case against him at this point but no one will go down that route!

This gets thrown around way too easily, describe the legal case and what you would bring Martin in front of the courts for. Also remember to simultaneously log similar legal cases against governments worldwide for following similar actions. If you are prepared to represent yourself and confident of winning, then there is no reason you can't pursue this yourself.

People rightly ridicule people like Gemma O'Doherty for pursuing frivolous cases about lockdowns, yet here we are with a poster advocating the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Stephen Donnelly is FF's mudguard for the vaccination roll out. All these hiccups and failures are pinned on him. Once vaccine roll out speeds up Leo Varadkar and Micheal Martin will take over to split the credit between themselves. Cabinet reshuffle, throw SD into some obscure dept and by the next general election hope people will have forgotten about him.

Its a risky strategy kind of like using a trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Should that be 2,000 per day? The tweet above says almost 5,000 for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yevon wrote: »
    What are the series of vaccine blunders made in Ireland?

I didn't say they made vaccine blunders. But everything else has been a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I didn't say they made vaccine blunders. But everything else has been a shambles.

But we had a number of posters on here absolutely guaranteeing to us all that the HSE would not be able to rollout the vaccines. Now scrambling for any little niggle. They're doing a good job and lets acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Should that be 2,000 per day? The tweet above says almost 5,000 for the weekend.

5000 is across 4 venues

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

ceegee wrote: »
    5000 is across 4 venues

I took Colm Henry's tweet to mean 5,000 in the Phoenix Park but looking at it again that is not necessarily the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

User142 wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly is FF's mudguard for the vaccination roll out. All these hiccups and failures are pinned on him. Once vaccine roll out speeds up Leo Varadkar and Micheal Martin will take over to split the credit between themselves. Cabinet reshuffle, throw SD into some obscure dept and by the next general election hope people will have forgotten about him.

Its a risky strategy kind of like using a trampoline.

The health position seems to be used by the two big parties to soften the cough of young(ish) up and coming politicians.

Vradkar, Harris, now Donnelly. The health sector is in shambles and any minister given the role will almost definitely not get out unscathed by some sort of scandal. That dirt can always be used against them in party leadership roles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Sanjuro wrote: »

That’s nonsense really. I’d argue that the initial rapid response to unemployment/economic risk via TWSS and PUP were absolutely massive positive steps, just imagine the carnage without those schemes?

One can debate the policy merits of suppression vs zero-COVID, but in reality only two very isolated countries (Aus and NZ) have pulled off zero covid, out of hundreds of countries.

Vaccine strategy - we’ve been let down by EU Commission, but hard to argue at the time that a small country going solo would be the right call by Irish govt.

Only real shambles to my mind was Xmas ‘20. Opening the pubs and allowing greater social contact has proven to be a catastrophic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

conor_mc wrote: »
    One can debate the policy merits of suppression vs zero-COVID, but in reality only two very isolated countries (Aus and NZ) have pulled off zero covid, out of hundreds of countries.

Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, Mongolia and China have all pulled off zero covid. While not exactly zero covid, Singapore and Korea have pulled off a massive surpression which means level 1 nearly all of the time. What the zero covid advocates are calling for in Ireland is much closer to Korea and Singapore than NZ and Aus. Zero Covid is a terrible name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

snotboogie wrote: »
    Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, Mongolia and China have all pulled off zero covid. While not exactly zero covid, Singapore and Korea have pulled off a massive surpression which means level 1 nearly all of the time. What the zero covid advocates are calling for in Ireland is much closer to Korea and Singapore than NZ and Aus. Zero Covid is a terrible name.

Neither are part of an “EU” and as this progresses they may fall behind, how will they open up....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

gally74 wrote: »
    Neither are part of an “EU” and as this progresses they may fall behind, how will they open up....

You do know we have manditory quarantine for Austria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reading in New Scientist good idea to lay off heavy drinking either side of getting vaccine jab as it can reduce immune response.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Reading in New Scientist good idea to lay off heavy drinking either side of getting vaccine jab as it can reduce immune response.

Interestingly i heard Dr Campbell mention taking painkillers like paracetamol etc to ease the effects of the side effects could reduce immune response but did say it's needs further study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Water John wrote: »
    But we had a number of posters on here absolutely guaranteeing to us all that the HSE would not be able to rollout the vaccines. Now scrambling for any little niggle. They're doing a good job and lets acknowledge that.

I've said on numerous occasions that the vaccine rollout is one of the few positives to take from this situation. What we've gotten has gone into peoples' arms (bar the contingency quota). No quibbles about how they've dealt with that. The question was a general one about Donnelly's situation overall. Not specifically about the vaccine rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Interestingly i heard Dr Campbell mention taking painkillers like paracetamol etc to ease the effects of the side effects could reduce immune response but did say it's needs further study.

How does that even work?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

is_that_so wrote: »
    AZ was 17 days.

So would it be correct to say J&J would be approved quicker given that AZ was not under rolling review?
    And if that is the case does anyone know the timeframe between approval at EMA level and distribution to EU countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Micky 32 wrote: »

Not sure where I read it but even for flu vaccine suggested anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen should be avoided as you dont wanf to suppress you response.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So would it be correct to say J&J would be approved quicker given that AZ was not under rolling review?
    And if that is the case does anyone know the timeframe between approval at EMA level and distribution to EU countries?

I wanna say it was a week between az being approved (29/1) and arriving in the country (6/2) then it was going into arms from the 8th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

what are the latest vaccination numbers for Ireland, are they releasing them daily yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Turtwig wrote: »
    How does that even work?

Not sure, he advised not to take anything but said the study is ongoing. That's all he said in one of his videos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement