Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

Can we stop saying "its not comparable to the pill"? The EMA literally compared them at the briefing yesterday. Rewatch it if you don't believe it.

I'm responding to the '1 in 10,000' chance of a clot on the pill. This refers to the overall risk of a clot (which can actually be a bit higher depending which pill you're on). The vast majority of these clots are VTEs (including DVTs). They are more easily diagnosed, more easily treated and have a much lower mortality rate than a CVST.

It is completely incorrect to claim that there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of a CVST on the pill. There may be a very minor chance, which is why the journalist's question was answered in that way, but it's disingenuous to compare it to the risk of a VTE from the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

eastie17 wrote: »
    has anyone tried this: https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

Apologies if its already been posted

The supply issue is a load of BS in my opinion, the HSE have ****ed this up as they still dont have their logistics squared away.

This calculator is fairly simple maths, currently uses a vaccination rate of 137K per week and an uptake rate of 74%, which we hit last week but I dont think we'll be able to do it consistently. The fact that its not consistent tells you they haven't got their ducks in a row logistically.
    Based on me having no underlying conditions or no special case and currently being in my late 40s this predicts I will get my first vaccination late July early August.
    If I was 25 it will be November!
    Its been almost 4 months of "the vaccines are coming lads", the vaccines are there, they just haven't setup the infrastructure to handle giving them out. Its always someone else's issue.
    I call bull**** on the Ministers assertion that 80% of adults who want one will be offered one by the end of June. We'll get news on some other supply issues at the end of April or early May I predict.

Go back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hardyn wrote: »
    Been hearing a bit lately about how the vaccines aren't having much of an effect in Chile. They are.

https://twitter.com/RufusSG/status/1380169345486184450?s=20

Chile has been looking better in overall cases since Monday. Bahrain is the head scratcher, 51 shots per 100 and cases still steeply on the up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

That risk is calculated based on taking the drug daily for a defined period (usually a year, but might be 10 years). So to compare it directly to a single dose of a vaccine is a little bit odd, and the type of clot that the vaccine may be causing is more serious than the clots typically linked to the pill.

Overall the pill increases the chance of clotting by a factor of 3 or 4 compared to people not on the pill and we know a bit about how to reduce the risk (risk is higher in smokers, certain pre-existing conditions etc.) so it can be minimised. Hopefully they'll figure out how to minimise the risk with the vaccine.

Ireland is currently giving AZ to high risk pregnant women, which I feel is an unnecessary risk, given that there is a significant clotting risk in pregnancy anyway.

To compare the risks as you describe is not at all odd. People dont take the pill only once and then stop. Its an ongoing medication therefore the risk is measured over the extended period of time. The vaccine is 2 shots so is related to 2 shots only. Risk is measured over the normal usage of the product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To compare the risks as you describe is not at all odd. People dont take the pill only once and then stop. Its an ongoing medication therefore the risk is measured over the extended period of time. The vaccine is 2 shots so is related to 2 shots only. Risk is measured over the normal usage of the product

I've given up correcting people on risk calculation and not including a time aspect or number of events that occur to reach a probability.

Over a lifetime, the chance of death occurring is always 1/1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

speckle wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know why the highlighted certain drugs..was it just because they are used more hence they saw more severly ill patients on them with covid or is their more too it.

The specific drugs listed have unknown risks associated with them with regard to COVID. The precautionary principle is applied, it's assumed people on these treatments were best to cocoon and now be part of cohort 4. For other treatments the risks with COVID are a little better understood.

We mostly just copied all ours lists from the UK.

The immune medication stratification of risk is attached to this post.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

trellheim wrote: »

The next million should take 5-6 weeks only.

It’s all up from here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

thanks Turtwig thats the one I refered earlier but couldnt find again. You have saved alot of time going through stuff here :D
    Edit your right its the Irish version of the Uk one I posted a previous link too..haha Gurbh mile maith agat.

I didn't say to compare the risk was odd, I said to make a direct comparison is odd.

• Advertisement

100 days to get to a million. The mostly gently inclining ramp I've ever seen. Could stick a 19th century locomotive on it without much bother. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Please dont all jump on me a bit out of the loop but could it be compared to the morning after pill.. its one dose?

speckle wrote: »
    Please dont all jump on me a bit out of the loop but could it be compared to the morning after pill.. its one dose?

The best comparison may have been to compare it to other vaccines, MMR can cause clots, flu vaccine might actually reduce the risk. I understand the EMA were trying to allay fears but as can be seen from some posters taking what they said as gospel, it can sometimes cause more more confusion when they don't make caveats for what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The best comparison may have been to compare it to other vaccines, MMR can cause clots, flu vaccine might actually reduce the risk. I understand the EMA were trying to allay fears but as can be seen from some posters taking what they said as gospel, it can sometimes cause more more confusion when they don't make caveats for what they say.

I honestly think the worst thing they can say is "The benefits outweigh the risks" it's like a red rag to a bull for some people.

It's much easier to put in terms of the risk of getting and dying from COVID-19 and go on from there.

astrofool wrote: »
    I honestly think the worst thing they can say is "The benefits outweigh the risks" it's like a red rag to a bull for some people.

It's much easier to put in terms of the risk of getting and dying from COVID-19 and go on from there.

I think the UK conference that made all the comparisons between age groups was excellent from that point of view, spelt it out why getting the vaccine is still a good idea for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

please be patient and forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place - I am trying to find a correct thread to post in

basically I am trying to find out if I am on the " at risk" list and should wait patiently for the call . I am NOT asking where I would be on the list etc but

my siblings received the vaccine in recent days - they have specific health risk factors like diabetes which puts them on the high risk category

But I do not understand how /where that information is compiled from / I would also be considered at High Risk, but for example am not under any consultant care etc

So how can I determine they have me on a list somewhere ?

I know you might say " contact your GP" - but that is proving to be impossible, and on their website it comes up in big letters " do not ring or email asking about the vaccine list...contact hse.ie

I have spent an age scrolling hse websites, cannot find any contact number for a query etc

again, I am not looking to know when I will be vaccinated, I am just looking to confirm I am on a list somewhere

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

100 days to get to a million. The mostly gently inclining ramp I've ever seen. Could stick a 19th century locomotive on it without much bother. :pac:

~18 days to reach 100k
    ~30 days to reach 200k
    ~62 days to reach 500k
    ~100 days to reach 1mm

And now hopefully less than 150 days to reach 2mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't suppose you'd be interested in buying an ion drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Watched Zara King on Virgin Media news this evening ask Paul Reid that since a number of SNAs in County Wexford were given the vaccine yesterday out of sequence i.e. they should not have received those vaccines, should the HSE just open it up now so that all SNAs in Ireland get the vaccine?

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

First case of the severe clotting reaction to Astra Zeneca in Ireland. 40 year old woman.

Do we think they're going to restrict AZ to over 50s like France, Spain, Germany, Italy, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1380128814525726725

Serious numbers now, this makes me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1380128814525726725

Serious numbers now, this makes me smile.

Dont germany have more of a backlog in supply to get through compared to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

please be patient and forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place - I am trying to find a correct thread to post in

basically I am trying to find out if I am on the " at risk" list and should wait patiently for the call . I am NOT asking where I would be on the list etc but

Do you have one of the listed "VERY high risk" or "High risk" conditions listed on this page under cohorts 4 and 7? https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html#progress-update

If yes, and you are not under the care of any consultant, then your GP is the only one who can put you forward under those cohorts - to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've received multiple injections now. I volunteered to be a test subject for a few different kind. Just this afternoon I received the Russian sputnik vaccine and have zero side effects и чувствовали себя прекрасно после вакцинации.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I've received multiple injections now. I volunteered to be a test subject for a few different kind. Just this afternoon I received the Russian sputnik vaccine and have zero side effects и чувствовали себя прекрасно после вакцинации.

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to, why don't you go where fashion sits?

6a00d8354f1fb569e20120a8ebe2c0970b.jpg

This may be a stupid question but have the staff of the quarantine hotels been vaccinated? And the defence forces transporting them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

my siblings received the vaccine in recent days - they have specific health risk factors like diabetes which puts them on the high risk category

But I do not understand how /where that information is compiled from / I would also be considered at High Risk, but for example am not under any consultant care etc

I know you might say " contact your GP" - but that is proving to be impossible, and on their website it comes up in big letters " do not ring or email asking about the vaccine list...contact hse.ie

I have spent an age scrolling hse websites, cannot find any contact number for a query etc

again, I am not looking to know when I will be vaccinated, I am just looking to confirm I am on a list somewhere

thanks

Ring your GP, it's really the only way as far as I know. My 74 year old mother who recently had a heart procedure and numerous bouts of pneumonia was patiently waiting by the phone. I convinced her to ring the doctor (threatened to call myself) and now she has an appointment for next week.

As always it's still a case of don't ask, don't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

thanks

I would suggest post on this thread too as its more specific to your query as well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

September 2020 rang and they want their joke back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement