Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

josip wrote: »
    I don't suppose you'd be interested in buying an ion drive?

Nah need to upgrade the dilithium crystals before anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

George Lee reporting that there might be as many as 190,000 vaccinations next week - that's more like it.

He also says there is talk that the online web portal might be brought forward by a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Strazdas wrote: »

He also says there is talk that the online web portal might be brought forward by a week.

That'd be great. Because, and with all due respect, the thing is absolutely going to crash as soon as it goes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

George Lee reporting that there might be as many as 190,000 vaccinations next week - that's more like it.

Yes I am hoping we will beat the equivalent of 38k (per day ) ( as mentioned above in the german comparison thread ) as we should have AZ extra waiting to go this week and we should have a bumper couple of days from easter compression.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

lbj666 wrote: »
    Dont germany have more of a backlog in supply to get through compared to us.

No clue, but as you can see in the numbers, Ireland isn't far off what America is doing when you do a like for like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

What did Ronan Glynn say about vaccine escape? Mammy texting me saying that he was worried about it so now she's worried. Not listening to the brief so I can't comment on it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sanjuro wrote: »
    That'd be great. Because, and with all due respect, the thing is absolutely going to crash as soon as it goes online.

Well I'm in the first cohort to use it so I'll let yah know!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

funnydoggy wrote: »
    What did Ronan Glynn say about vaccine escape? Mammy texting me saying that he was worried about it so now she's worried. Not listening to the brief so I can't comment on it
    The usual concern that a VOC will do that. None of them have so far. When are NPHET without a worry anyway?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cillian De Gascun says he doesn't expect COVID vaccines to become an annual thing, he thinks it will be more likely we may need boosters every few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Maybe someone should point him in the direction of a little known country of Israel, and ask him where the vaccine escape is there?

• Advertisement

Cillian De Gascun says he doesn't expect COVID vaccines to become an annual thing, he thinks it will be more likely we may need boosters every few years
    Yeah, probably down to the slower mutation rate vis a vis flu'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What is going on in Slovakia with Sputnik V is interesting as Bloomberg reports here.

- Slovakia accused Moscow of delivering shots that were different from those used in a peer-reviewed study.
    - Russia has in anger demanded Bratislava return the 200,000 doses it sent.
    - Slovakian regulator has said it has not received sufficient documents from Russia to declare it safe and effective.
    - Head of Slovak State Institute for Drug Control, said in a report. “The comparability and consistency of various batches produced in different places hasn’t been confirmed. In several cases, it appears that the vaccines have different properties.”

This report is in addition to reports that the EMA are investigating Russia for ethical violations in their trials for forcing people to partake.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The usual concern that a VOC will do that. None of them have so far. When are NPHET without a worry anyway?!

Absolutely but my mom is a big panicker. She has chrome browser alerts for RTÉ, Virgin Media News and Cork Safety Alerts because of their vaccine coverage lol

Thanks is_that_so. Nice to hear some context ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheFinanceGod

Genuine question, and not to sound miserable, but is there genuinely any good news out there regarding the easing of restrictions and Covid in general?

I've just read on the journal that Irelands vaccine targets for Mid-April won't be met, and that GP's just refuse signing up to the high-risk groups because of the pressure and stress of the programme to date.

I feel like every time Michael Martin made an announcement, he emphasized and completely relied on these vaccine targets as a last resort to give people some form of hope and save this governments image...and now they're not even being met?

Is there genuinely anything to be hopeful for at all? Any sign of when normality might return?

Genuine question, and not to sound miserable, but is there genuinely any good news out there regarding the easing of restrictions and Covid in general?

I've just read on the journal that Irelands vaccine targets for Mid-April won't be met, and that GP's just refuse signing up to the high-risk groups because of the pressure and stress of the programme to date.

I feel like every time Michael Martin made an announcement, he emphasized and completely relied on these vaccine targets as a last resort to give people some form of hope and save this governments image...and now they're not even being met?

Is there genuinely anything to be hopeful for at all? Any sign of when normality might return?
    Yes, you can see your county from Monday!
    HSE hope to do 190K shots next week and the week after.
    65-69 should be signing up in the next couple of weeks on new shiny portal.
    Normality of sorts could be late June or into July!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Have the government released details of the delay and reduction in quantity to the JnJ Vaccine yet?

Or are they going to try and hide that info in some way?

Have the government released details of the delay and reduction in quantity to the JnJ Vaccine yet?

Or are they going to try and hide that info in some way?
    It won't be here for about two weeks anyway and that has been flagged on account of US commitments. There has been a proposal by HIQA that part of the first batch be used on specific minorities and the homeless.

We're seeing glimpses of normality returning every few days it seems lately. Even the fact that vaccinated people can meet indoors soon without social distancing/masks is a clear sign of better days to come.

To quote the best doctor around, Dr. Stephen Strange, "We're in the endgame now." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It won't be here for about two weeks anyway and that has been flagged on account of US commitments. There has been a proposal by HIQA that part of the first batch be used on specific minorities and the homeless.

That makes good sense, I actually asked about this earlier but it got lost in the arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To quote the best doctor around, Dr. Stephen Strange, "We're in the endgame now." :)

You realise now our odds for success are now 1 in 14,000,605?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Look at Israel after just 60% of the population vacinated, the R0 is well below 1. Look at the UK starting to open up . Look at the upward trench in vacine rate and how that compares to UK at the min, dispite the issues with high risk groups you mention. The deliveries are all on a considerable upward trend.
    Look at our falls in hospital figures and mortality thanks in part to the rollout so far, despite sustained case numbers at a not so preferable level.
    The real known potential speed bump is the AZ situation, but irrespective of that the situation is still clearly going to improve. There will be nerves and frustration but things are going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Turtwig wrote: »

Did anyone else also google the 14m to make sure it was correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The journey to 20 and 30 million will be a lot more smooth anyway.

Turtwig wrote: »
    josip wrote: »
    Did anyone else also google the 14m to make sure it was correct ?

:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

And for all the people complaining about Ireland - France has ~13 times the population, but only did ~10 times the jabs so far.

Stephen Donnelly has said that the HSE is to open five additional 'walk-in' Covid-19 test centres for asymptomatic people from this Saturday, details tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1380221185728913413

CIT/MTU did a COVID screening today, and doing another tomorrow. Might go for the craic, see if I am asymptomatic but I doubt it. I'm home so much I'd surely have spread it to others in the house, even though I know the attack rate isn't 100%..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

muddypuppy wrote: »
    And for all the people complaining about Ireland - France has ~13 times the population, but only did ~10 times the jabs so far.

"France has given a first jab of a Covid-19 vaccine to 10 million people". About 5% of its 67 million population got its second jab so they probably have administered more, or at least around the same in total.
    Can't complain though, we're doing as well as our EU neighbours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement