Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

funnydoggy wrote: »
    CIT/MTU did a COVID screening today, and doing another tomorrow. Might go for the craic, see if I am asymptomatic but I doubt it. I'm home so much I'd surely have spread it to others in the house, even though I know the attack rate isn't 100%..
    UCC also had walk-in testing today and tomorrow, must be issues with college students at the moment. I got an email to go but not gonna bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

I have decided myself that if when I am offered the vaccine and it is AZ, I am going to decline it. I am under 40 and no underlying conditions. Not something I thought I would say or want and I can't wait for normality. I really want to get on with things and am no way anti vax or all that but just can't shake the lack of confidence in that jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

My Da, 72, is getting his vaccine on Sunday. I can not tell you how happy I am to finally hear that.

Slowly, we are getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Maxface wrote: »
    I have decided myself that if when I am offered the vaccine and it is AZ, I am going to decline it. I am under 40 and no underlying conditions. Not something I thought I would say or want and I can't wait for normality. I really want to get on with things and am no way anti vax or all that but just can't shake the lack of confidence in that jab.

The thing is it's unlikely your going to know in advance what vaccine your getting. You'll register online and the appointment will be given to you. If your appointment is for a MVC it'll be whatever is in use there. It'll be a general rollout when it hits the age groups so whatever is in use for the particular age groups will be distributed to the MVC, be it Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J etc. Whatever the centre is given it'll be what they use for the age group their currently giving it to.

It's easier to tell at the moment which vaccine is being used where because its only GPs using Pfizer & Moderna & the MVCs are all mainly AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My Da, 72, is getting his vaccine on Sunday. I can not tell you how happy I am to finally hear that.

Two sisters and brother all done this week . Husband ,,another sister ., BIL and SIL all have dates for next week
    All in 70-75 group , its ramping up now
    Delighted

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Two sisters and brother all done this week . Husband ,,another sister ., BIL and SIL all have dates for next week
    Delighted

Great to hear.

Gives everyone a boost when those around them are getting the appointments and then the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

SSeanSS wrote: »
    "France has given a first jab of a Covid-19 vaccine to 10 million people". About 5% of its 67 million population got its second jab so they probably have administered more, or at least around the same in total.
    Can't complain though, we're doing as well as our EU neighbours.

That will teach me to read the article instead of just the headline posted here :) In my defense the headline is very confusing, why not say it's first jabs there, or say the actual total?
    Anyway, around 12.5m according to the https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/vaccine-roll-out-overview

Love it, my own father is in the 65-69 age group so he'll be due to register on the portal shortly so should get a vaccine in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Delighted

Brilliant, I hope my Ma (65) will not be too far off. She is going with my Da on Sunday, would be great if they just gave her a jab there because they live together, but I don't have my hopes up for that. I don't want to be greedy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Love it, my own father is in the 65-69 age group so he'll be due to register on the portal shortly so should get a vaccine in the next few weeks

I will be joining him on the portal . They said tonight on the news that it will open earlier than planned and probably next week

• Advertisement

I will be joining him on the portal . They said tonight on the news that it will open earlier than planned and probably next week

Fingers crossed.

He's looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can't wait for normality but will wait?

I'm sure you have taken other vaccines or medicines in your lifetime which have much higher risks than that of the AstraZeneca vaccine. People are only fearful because it's in the news.

I bet that if the same people were in a doctor's office and they prescribed you some medicine you wouldn't think twice about the potential side effects. You trust that your doctor, and the scientists behind the medicine, are qualified professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Went for a walk around my hometown Kanturk today and it was fantastic to see all the over 70s queuing and leaving the two medical centres with renewed smiles! I stopped and talked to one couple I know and they had a few tears, hadn’t seen their grandkids since last September!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Vaccines certs being considered by government for sports events:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1208696/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The thing is it's unlikely your going to know in advance what vaccine your getting. You'll register online and the appointment will be given to you. If your appointment is for a MVC it'll be whatever is in use there. It'll be a general rollout when it hits the age groups so whatever is in use for the particular age groups will be distributed to the MVC, be it Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J etc. Whatever the centre is given it'll be what they use for the age group their currently giving it to.

It's easier to tell at the moment which vaccine is being used where because its only GPs using Pfizer & Moderna & the MVCs are all mainly AZ.

The amount of people i have come across with the “ i won’t be taking it” because of the blood clot fiasco is a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Delighted

Ye will be able to have a family house party so very soon!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

There is always a way around things. There are certain scenarios, well documented, that you can’t get the AZ vaccine, eg allergens/past reactions. Research this and say it applies to you if you don’t want it.

Before anyone complains, it’s my firm belief that you choose what gets put into you. It’s not up to the state. The HSEs poor planning should never be your problem. If you don’t want AZ then another option must be on offer without penalty, especially with the way government has talked up vaccination as a solution. Yes you may have to wait a bit for it, like if you’d like J&J which hasn’t arrived yet.

Btw I got the AZ first shot as I researched it and found any issues it had were not applicable to me. My mind is being changed on the second dose as the US changed entry policies and the FDA needs to approve it. AZ have made a complete balls out of it and I get a sense that the EUA won’t be given, they’ll need the full blown trial and approval process, which easily means next year at the earliest. So currently I’m being forced, or anyone who wants to go to the US in the future, to get Pfizer/Moderna/J&J until they sort themselves out. They’ve a few weeks left before that decision will have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can't wait for normality but will wait?

I'm sure you have taken other vaccines or medicines in your lifetime which have much higher risks than that of the AstraZeneca vaccine. People are only fearful because it's in the news.

I bet that if the same people were in a doctor's office and they prescribed you some medicine you wouldn't think twice about the potential side effects. You trust that your doctor, and the scientists behind the medicine, are qualified professionals.

True, and I am far from that person that doesn't want to take it. It is a thought for me and I never sat in a doctors before when offered medication with as much information I have ever got prior, look I understand this is not what is I guess needed now, it is hopefully only me. The vast vast majority will take whatever is given, my thoughts are a bit more reserved and I want to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The amount of people i have come across with the “ i won’t be taking it” because of the blood clot fiasco is a bit worrying.

Absolutely. Like the saying goes, “if you’re explaining, you’re losing”, once the idea gets into a percentage of the public that there’s an issue, no amount of reassurance from the powers that be will change it.

Is that definitely the case ? On the HSE site it says that when you register at the MVC on arrival they’ll tell you what vaccine you’re getting and confirm it matches with what one you were told in your text message:

Reception area

When you arrive at the reception area, a receptionist will take your details and check your ID.

The receptionist will also tell you which COVID-19 vaccine you will be getting. This should match what is in your registration text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Russman wrote: »
    Absolutely. Like the saying goes, “if you’re explaining, you’re losing”, once the idea gets into a percentage of the public that there’s an issue, no amount of reassurance from the powers that be will change it.

I suspect the issue of non uptake will be greatly exaggerated in the next week or two. People saying how they will refuse point blank to take AZ are probably vaccine sceptics in general and not even keen on the other three. I don't see a scenario where large numbers of people refuse AZ (especially as those being offered it right at the moment are the high risk groups of contracting Covid).

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Is that definitely the case ? On the HSE site it says that when you register at the MVC on arrival they’ll tell you what vaccine you’re getting and confirm it matches with what one you were told in your text message:

Reception area

When you arrive at the reception area, a receptionist will take your details and check your ID.

The receptionist will also tell you which COVID-19 vaccine you will be getting. This should match what is in your registration text.

The text I got said AZ. They may have changed that though do to no shows

Strazdas wrote: »
    I suspect the issue of non uptake will be greatly exaggerated in the next week or two. People saying how they will refuse point blank to take AZ are probably vaccine sceptics in general and not even keen on the other three. I don't see a scenario where large numbers of people refuse AZ (especially as those being offered it right at the moment are the high risk groups of contracting Covid).

Possibly. My own mother is 69 and was mad keen to get a vaccine but likely won’t take AZ. She has a history of clots and a brain aneurysm and is terrified of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Possibly. My own mother is 69 and was mad keen to get a vaccine but likely won’t take AZ. She has a history of clots and a brain aneurysm and is terrified of it.

I can imagine people with very specific concerns might pass up on AZ if offered it, but I'd be a bit surprised if those declining it went much over, say, 10% or so. Most people being offered it at the moment are in the high risk groups and need to be vaccinated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

This may be a stupid question but have the staff of the quarantine hotels been vaccinated? And the defence forces transporting them

Hotel staff have been anyway, not all but it is underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Strazdas wrote: »
    I can imagine people with very specific concerns might pass up on AZ if offered it, but I'd be a bit surprised if those declining it went much over, say, 10% or so. Most people being offered it at the moment are in the high risk groups and need to be vaccinated quickly.

I'm unsure about the AZ as i have very limited mobility in one leg and have to take anti clotting injections before long flights etc. I'll make an appointment to discuss my with GP and will take guidance from him. If he okays it then I'll happily take it.

JTMan wrote: »
    What is going on in Slovakia with Sputnik V is interesting as Bloomberg reports here.

- Slovakia accused Moscow of delivering shots that were different from those used in a peer-reviewed study.
    - Russia has in anger demanded Bratislava return the 200,000 doses it sent.
    - Slovakian regulator has said it has not received sufficient documents from Russia to declare it safe and effective.
    - Head of Slovak State Institute for Drug Control, said in a report. “The comparability and consistency of various batches produced in different places hasn’t been confirmed. In several cases, it appears that the vaccines have different properties.”

This report is in addition to reports that the EMA are investigating Russia for ethical violations in their trials for forcing people to partake.

Establishing equivalence is a basic requirement of a product transfer. This would be a bit concerning about the contract manufacturers being engaged by Gamalaya, and their monitoring of the manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

nibtrix wrote: »
    Do you have one of the listed "VERY high risk" or "High risk" conditions listed on this page under cohorts 4 and 7? https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html#progress-update

If yes, and you are not under the care of any consultant, then your GP is the only one who can put you forward under those cohorts - to my knowledge.

Yes I am under criteria
    GP impossible to contact ...not takin covid/vaccine calls

Will try progress it

I really need to drive to the shops today but I heard 60 people per day in the EU die in car accidents. This has really shaken my confidence in cars. I can’t wait to get the food I need to eat, but I just can shake the lack of confidence in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I would suggest post on this thread too as its more specific to your query as well.

Thanks... Will try in am

Now all siblings vaccinated

And wrecking my head talking about side affects

Then the clotting stories..and I not worried by them as I have low platelets count..,so less chance of clottng...normally...only for more details yesterday how the AZ clotting stories relate to low platelets!!

And a parent died from covid19

So not a great few weeks.... Hopefully will sort it out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement