Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

Micky 32 wrote: »

Well just over 200,000 have had Asterazeneca in Ireland and there is one case (that we know of).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Goldengirl wrote: »
    19th April . But as far as I know that is for age cohorts 65 to 69 group 6 not highrisk.
    I'm really interested to see how they implement this once it goes online.

I don't expect that it will auto-populate any information, it's too open for data leakage. Most likely it will ask for your name, address, phone number, PPSN and date of birth. And there'll be no automatic checking that these are valid.

The way *I* would do it then is get people to present ID at the MVC on check-in. Something with a photo, date of birth and PPSN. If someone has spoofed or can't verify their date of birth, they'll have to be sent away and the appointment cancelled. It's really the only way to stop cvnts from jumping the queue.

I can see though how contentious this might be. For anyone without a PSC it would mean bringing 2 or 3 separate pieces of ID.
    So I'm really curious to know what the plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There are about 495k in the over 70s group. Some will refuse, some are in nursing homes and not cohort 3. Let's say 450k

To the 5th April 270k have had a first dose. 9 days and 180k left to mid April. Roughly 20k a day cohort 3 first doses needed . . . They've been close to that lately. There's always some laggards and delays, but they'll easily be at 80%+ of cohort 3 done by mid april. Probably over 90%.

Well just over 200,000 have had Asterazeneca in Ireland and there is one case (that we know of).

So 5 in a million

So 5 in a million

That we know of, this case only came to light because her family spoke out.

• Advertisement

That we know of, this case only cane to light because her family spoke out.

Should there be a press conference on every admission to hospital with a blood clot?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

seamus wrote: »

I don't expect that it will auto-populate any information, it's too open for data leakage. Most likely it will ask for your name, address, phone number, PPSN and date of birth. And there'll be no automatic checking that these are valid.

The way *I* would do it then is get people to present ID at the MVC on check-in. Something with a photo, date of birth and PPSN. If someone has spoofed or can't verify their date of birth, they'll have to be sent away and the appointment cancelled. It's really the only way to stop cvnts from jumping the queue.

I can see though how contentious this might be. For anyone without a PSC it would mean bringing 2 or 3 separate pieces of ID.

I heard Paul Henry mention it the other evening . You will register with a PPS number , get and e mail with a PIN .Enter your details , validation at the venue need with ID like driving licence or passport etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

So 5 in a million

It doesn't work like that. If the first person vaccinated happened to get a clot, it doesn't mean everyone (1 in 1) will get a clot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are about 495k in the over 70s group. Some will refuse, some are in nursing homes and not cohort 3. Let's say 450k

To the 5th April 270k have had a first dose. 9 days and 180k left to mid April. Roughly 20k a day cohort 3 first doses needed . . . They've been close to that lately. There's always some laggards and delays, but they'll easily be at 80%+ of cohort 3 done by mid april. Probably over 90%.
    And these are the kind of stats we should be looking at, rather than focussing on "everyone over age X done by date Y".

These kind of rollouts are never perfect, there's always a long tail. I said it weeks ago, and it's still true now: Sometime in June there'll be found an 90-year-old in Hackballscross who never got called for their vaccine. And someone will jump all over it as proof that the rollout is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't think you'd even need PPSN at the MVC. Just present photo ID with your name and date of birth. That should be enough to verify against the database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

You will register with a PPS number , get and e mail with a PIN .Enter your details , validation at the venue need with ID like driving licence or passport etc

muppets asking for PPS. There is no requirement to have a PPS number in this country ; you can be in Ireland perfectly legally without one. And yes, there's a GDPR exemption for Public Health purposes but you could make up any oul number and register. (yes you need the right check letter but thats a 15 sec Google )

Seamus' idea of govt issued photo ID with DOB is much better way to go.

(Also I heard the portal was Salesforce or am I confusing that with something else)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

. I said it weeks ago, and it's still true now: Sometime in June there'll be found an 90-year-old in Hackballscross who never got called for their vaccine. And someone will jump all over it as proof that the rollout is a shambles.

I totally agree, the expression 'perfection is the enemy of good' never rang truer. lets get on with it.

We can sit around devising and implementing complex systems whereby a 41 year old teacher gets it before a 38 year old Garda or we can suck it up and power through as fast and as simply as possible, and pick up any stragglers at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

trellheim wrote: »
    muppets asking for PPS. There is no requirement to have a PPS number in this country ; you can be in Ireland perfectly legally without one. And yes, there's a GDPR exemption for Public Health purposes but you could make up any oul number and register. (yes you need the right check letter but thats a 15 sec Google )

Soon you’ll be asked for your pps to eat in a restaurant :D. A friend bought a new Volkswagen on PCP. They now ask for your ppsn and proof of it before they give you the pcp. Anyway that’s off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eh, why would you actually go to all this trouble? It's doubtful there are more than a handful of people in the country without a PPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

spakman wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that. If the first person vaccinated happened to get a clot, it doesn't mean everyone (1 in 1) will get a clot.

We already have tens of millions of data points, this point is moot. Global data thus far demonstrates the CVST risk is about 1 in 150,000 following AZ vaccination.

Background incidence of CVST is between 5 - 16 per million per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

Seamus' idea of govt issued photo ID with DOB is much better way to go.

(Also I heard the portal was Salesforce or am I confusing that with something else)

They aren't going to insist on a PPS number anyway: https://www.hse.ie/eng/gdpr/data-protection-covid-19/data-protection-covid-19-vaccine-information-system.html

"Use of Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) for the purposes of finding your Individual Health Identifier (IHI).
    Where possible, the HSE will use your PPSN to locate your Individual Health Identifier (IHI) on the National Register of Individual Health Identifiers. The lawful basis for this processing is contained in the Health Identifiers Act 2014.

Using your PPSN to accurately locate your Individual Health Identifier helps to ensure that your particulars are being correctly assigned with the correct IHI which is required for patient safety.

Under both the Health Identifiers Act 2014 and the Medicinal Products (Prescription and Control of Supply) (Amendment) (No. 7) Regulations 2020, if you do not have, or are unable to give, a personal public service number, you may provide other identifying particulars in order to help locate your IHI.

This means that no individual presenting to receive a COVID-19 Vaccine will be denied the vaccine because they are unable to provide their PPSN."

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can't wait for normality but will wait?

I'm sure you have taken other vaccines or medicines in your lifetime which have much higher risks than that of the AstraZeneca vaccine. People are only fearful because it's in the news.

I bet that if the same people were in a doctor's office and they prescribed you some medicine you wouldn't think twice about the potential side effects. You trust that your doctor, and the scientists behind the medicine, are qualified professionals.

The difference is if you are sitting in a Doctors office getting a prescription. the you likely have some kind of condition you want treatment for, so the benefits to you outweigh the risks..

Taking a vaccine which can have serious side effects, and even if you don't get severe side effects, you may feel mildly unwell for a few days etc, to prevent something which is very unlikely to cause you serious harm is completely different to taking antibiotics to clear an infection etc. Young people are essentially being asked to put themselves at risk for the public good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

On the ECDC vaccination tracker, we are now showing as having administered 1,000,0005 vaccine doses. Yes, I know Paul Reid told us this yesterday but it's nice to see it here, as well as on a tweet.

https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab

In total (according to this data), we have administered first doses to 18.8% of the adult population (5th in Europe), and total doses of 26.5 per 100 of the adult population (4th in Europe, behind Hungary, Malta and Estonia)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Pnesioniers mostly have cards for public transport which would imply that there were over 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Eh, why would you actually go to all this trouble?
    Because some of us care about designing legally compliant systems from the very outset that work for the entire population. An IHI and a PPS are not the same thing and because you have one does not mean you have the other ( and in fact neither are required to reside legally in Ireland )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#target-group-tab

Interesting to follow the % of each age group with one dose:

80+: 100%
    70-79: 46% (Means about 170k left in this cohort)
    60-69: 11.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because some of us care about designing legally compliant systems from the very outset that work for the entire population. An IHI and a PPS are not the same thing and because you have one does not mean you have the other ( and in fact neither are required to reside legally in Ireland )
    If you really cared you wouldn't be on a forum telling people how much you cared, you'd be involved! Just register, take the shots and be done with it, it'll take 30m out of your life, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hopefully not, perhaps if its hosted by AWS it may be ok, also it'll probably only be open for certain age cohorts so the demand won't be a big as you'd think.

Ah yeah. Just whenever a booking system is opened with huge interest, the sheer volume of applicants can overwhelm the system. Hopefully if there is an issue, it'll be taken care of relatively quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

irishlad. wrote: »
    https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#target-group-tab

Interesting to follow the % of each age group completed:

80+: 100%
    70-79: 46% (Means about 170k left in this cohort)
    60-69: 11.6%

100% ? :eek:

Obviously there are some caveats with that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1380467532574949376

Another big day on Tuesday. Love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Miike wrote: »
    We already have tens of millions of data points, this point is moot. Global data thus far demonstrates the CVST risk is about 1 in 150,000 following AZ vaccination.

Background incidence of CVST is between 5 - 16 per million per annum.

I wonder if that will remain the background incidence. Now that CVST has got a much higher profile I wonder if we'll see a higher incidence of it this year outside of those that don't get AZ. A possible better reflection of the true background incidence rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

1huge1 wrote: »
    100% ? :eek:

With one dose, ill add that in now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1380467532574949376

Another big day on Tuesday. Love to see it.

I hate to be that guy, but I don't consider 21k a big number at this stage, especially after 3 days in a row of less than 10k.

Seeing as we know we got over 1m the following day though, we should expect to see greater than 40k for Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Given the talk of 250k a week by April, mass vaccination centres, huge orders arriving at the end of March/Start of April and numbers posted on a couple of days last week, I would've thought 21,000 is a pretty disappointing level of vaccination. Its not remotely close to enough to get us through this any time soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement