Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Given the talk of 250k a week by April, mass vaccination centres, huge orders arriving at the end of March/Start of April and numbers posted on a couple of days last week, I would've thought 21,000 is a pretty disappointing level of vaccination. Its not remotely close to enough to get us through this any time soon
    The next two weeks will be in the region of 190K each week, according to the HSE. J&J is due just after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Given the talk of 250k a week by April, mass vaccination centres, huge orders arriving at the end of March/Start of April and numbers posted on a couple of days last week, I would've thought 21,000 is a pretty disappointing level of vaccination. Its not remotely close to enough to get us through this any time soon

It's always next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

is_that_so wrote: »
    The next two weeks will be in the region of 190K each week, according to the HSE. J&J is due just after that.

Any suggestions how I might set myself up for a one shot J & J rather than an AZ.

I am in the 65 to 70 cohort.

Will it be...take what you are given?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Plan is 120/125k this week

Next week is 180/190k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Any suggestions how I might set myself up for a one shot J & J rather than an AZ.

Its take what you are given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dose number 1 million came in Wednesday 31st and went into an arm yesterday. A week for in to out, showing when supply comes in its being turned around

180-190k next week big difference from where we were only a few weeks ago

Yeah I think you answered your own question. HIQA are suggesting it should be used on certain ethnic groups and the homeless, which I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Did they not recently say that there would be 850-900k done this month? we're going to be way way short of that unless they plan on doing 300k in the last week of April

Did they not recently say that there would be 850-900k done this month? we're going to be way way short of that unless they plan on doing 300k in the last week of April
    3 weeks at 200K + 125K this week and whatever we get from J&J should be close enough to that.

Yeah I think you answered your own question. HIQA are suggesting it should be used on certain ethnic groups and the homeless, which I agree with.

Absolutely, should be used where there might be difficulty with dose 2. Homeless services being one as you mention

• Advertisement

Deliveries for the month into the country estimated at 860k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Deliveries for the month into the country estimated at 860k

No estimates for administration? We are on course for about 600k best case imo. That would be just over a 40% increase on March. The goal is around 7 million vaccines and we will be at 1.5 million by the end of the month. Israel opened up at 90 per 100, that's 4.5 million vaccines for us, which we will still be a looong long way from at the end of this month.

100k for the first 7 days is very disappointing, even with the bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

3 weeks at 200K + 125K this week and whatever we get from J&J should be close enough to that.

Hopefully we will see a big bump from the BioNtech plant in the last two weeks of April. The J&J deliveries will be fairly minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's always next week.

Are you happy we caught up after the AZ pause and are quickly back to 95% rolled out within the week? I remember you were quite dismissive that would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Quick question

Is there an issue with private GP practices not being given vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hey sorry for the stupid question, so many different articles on the web.

Can someone confirm for me over 70's dont get AZ in ireland ?

Singapore has a very similar population to Ireland; 5.7 million vs 5 million and an almost identical GDP with the exact same Multinational caveats as us. They started vaccinating two weeks after us. From February the 13th until March the 13th we had almost the exact same vaccination rate. Singapore are now at 30 vaccines per 100 compared to 20 vaccines per 100 here. Singapore are only using the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines (no Chinese or Russian ones). For a long time we were told that we would be left behind as a small country out on our own yet upper income small countries out on their own are almost all way ahead of us; Singapore, The UAE, Chile, Uruguay, Bahrain, Qatar...

Quick question

Is there an issue with private GP practices not being given vaccines?
    It's all down to supplies but they have been quick to complain. The HSE approach seems to be to contact them when they have shots. Once we get to the over 65s that should no longer be an issue.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Singapore has a very similar population to Ireland; 5.7 million vs 5 million and an almost identical GDP with the exact same Multinational caveats as us. They started vaccinating two weeks after us. From February the 13th until March the 13th we had almost the exact same vaccination rate. Singapore are now at 30 vaccines per 100 compared to 20 vaccines per 100 here. Singapore are only using the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines (no Chinese or Russian ones). For a long time we were told that we would be left behind as a small country out on our own yet upper income small countries out on their own are almost all way ahead of us; Singapore, The UAE, Chile, Uruguay, Bahrain, Qatar...
    Your post seems to suggest a great keenness to add even more small countries doing better than us. We are doing as well as we can given our circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Is there somewhere you can track actual deliveries of vaccines into Ireland? I don't mean estimates of what might or might not come in over the next few weeks, but actual data on what arrived in on what date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

What about Oman, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Kuwait? all similar size, all behind us. Your argumet only works if you pick and choose the countires you want.

Just some data on the walk-ins, with 5 new ones opening. The HSE’s Niamh O’Beirne said that of the 25,000 people tested, there was a positivity rate of about 2.6pc, with 635 positive cases.

Sconsey wrote: »
    What about Oman, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Kuwait? all similar size, all behind us. Your argumet only works if you pick and choose the countires you want.

Well New Zealand are purposely not vaccinating because they are zero covid and are watching results from other countries. Hardly a fair comparison.

Oman, Costa Rica and Kuwait are all far poorer than us.

You are not addressing the point though are you? Most countries out on their own, around our size and GDP are doing far better than us when we were told this was not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

JDD wrote: »
    Is there somewhere you can track actual deliveries of vaccines into Ireland? I don't mean estimates of what might or might not come in over the next few weeks, but actual data on what arrived in on what date?

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/0ca30-covid-19-vaccine-supply-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Well New Zealand are purposely not vaccinating because they are zero covid and are watching results from other countries. Hardly a fair comparison.

Oman, Costa Rica and Kuwait are all far poorer than us.

You are not addressing the point though are you? Most countries out on their own, around our size and GDP are doing far better than us when we were told this was not possible.

Sorry I was not aware of the caveats to your argument that you had not actually mentioned. So New Zealand does not apply. But then why include Chile, Uruguay or Bahrain whose GDP is nowhere near ours. Your argument mekes even less sense now. You can include the ones that suit your argument but I cannot?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

dashoonage wrote: »
    Hey sorry for the stupid question, so many different articles on the web.

Can someone confirm for me over 70's dont get AZ in ireland ?

I know that Pfizer and Moderna only was being given to the over 80s and 85s, but I'm not sure what has happened now they are moving down through the age cohorts.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I know that Pfizer and Moderna only was being given to the over 80s and 85s, but I'm not sure what has happened now they are moving down through the age cohorts.
    Under 70 it's whatever is available unless NIAC says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Strazdas wrote: »

AFAIK the over 70s are still just getting Pfizer / Moderna. My dad (76) is getting his tomorrow, got his reminder/confirmation text an hour ago so he's delighted after being cancelled two weeks ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

My parents are 76. My Mum got Pfizer at the DCU vaccination centre two weeks ago, and my Dad got Pfizer at his GPs surgery last week. Both would have been suitable for AZ but it seems they're keeping the AZ for HCW and younger high risk patients, and keeping Pfizer for the older crowd.

I suppose it all depends on what the GP has got delivery of though. It's more likely to be Pfizer, just on sheer number of deliveries, but I don't think they've come out and said that 70-80 year olds shouldn't get AZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

astrofool wrote: »
    Are you happy we caught up after the AZ pause and are quickly back to 95% rolled out within the week? I remember you were quite dismissive that would happen.

You remember incorrectly. You claimed it would take "weeks" to get back on track after the pause and I queried why they couldn't do it quicker with time being of the essence? If they have sorted out out on a well it kind of flies in the face of your stance that it would take "weeks".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement