Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

Strazdas wrote: »
    The idea of picking and choosing a vaccine would never even work. That's not the way medicine operates and would lead to total chaos if even attempted. 'Take the first vaccine you're offered' is very good advice.

Totally.

A bit of a cliche at this stage, "we are all in this together", but with regards
    vaccination to roll in and get your jab when offered I would consider
    is part of your civic responsibility. I personally would be embarassed to say
    I kicked up a stink with medical professionals to get the vaccine of my choice
    for scant medical rationale that they don't agree with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we move on from the discussion of what vaccine you will or won't take please - that is not a discussion for this thread. You can chat away to your heart's content about it in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058165816

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

1. its 1/20000 in Norway, Globally data might be suppressed for political reasons (specifically looking at UK who swept 70,000 needless covid deaths under carpet) or worse not collected.

2. Chance of fatal car crash death in Ireland is 1/36000

3. young healthy person as per the Oxford Covid Calculator https://www.qcovid.org/ are at risk of covid death between 1/100000 and 1/200000.

So maybe give this section another vaccine and not take needless risks?

I can't find anything that backs up this claim, got a source on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Wow, this is much quicker than expected ... Pfizer has filled with the FDA for emergency use approval for those aged 12-15.

Approval request in other countries "on the way". EMA submission surely to follow?

Just last month, Fauci said that 12-15 year olds would be vaccinated in August. Surely it is going to be much quicker now?

This is great news just days after the bad news that the AZ trail for 6-17 year olds was paused.

Ireland has the biggest under 16 population in the EU.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1380570522799472649

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

JTMan wrote: »
    Wow, this is much quicker than expected ... Pfizer has filled with the FDA for emergency use approval for those aged 12-15.

Approval request in other countries "on the way". EMA submission surely to follow?

Just last month, Fauci said that 12-15 year olds would be vaccinated in August. Surely it is going to be much quicker now?

This is great news just days after the bad news that the AZ trail for 6-17 year olds was paused.

Ireland has the biggest under 16 population in the EU.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1380570522799472649

That is great news. Hopefully the EMA follow quickly.

• Advertisement

More on this ... vaccination of those aged 12-15 could start in 3-4 weeks in the US. Wow again!

12-15 year olds will get the same dose. (Only difference is you will need parental consent).

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1380578624189960194

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So can the current jabs be given to 16-18 year olds then? I thought it was just 18 and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Turtwig wrote: »
    I wonder if that will remain the background incidence. Now that CVST has got a much higher profile I wonder if we'll see a higher incidence of it this year outside of those that don't get AZ. A possible better reflection of the true background incidence rate.

It's an interesting question because of a lot of the epidemiological studies that went to look at specific diagnoses and removed criteria like acute head trauma etc found that the incidence is often quiet higher than the "official" stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That is great news. Hopefully the EMA follow quickly.

It's up to Pfizer & BioNTech to submit an application to the EMA.
    EMA can't do anything until that comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Interesting talking to US residents over the past two weeks, a huge amount of adults are now vaccinated. All states are now pushing on with reopening with differences in criteria and measures that will remain.
    There also seems to be a class element to which vaccine you receive, with Pfizer and Moderna as the perceived gold standard and Johnson & Johnson as the work horse.

Meanwhile in Ireland, we’re quarantining fully vaccinated with Pfizer Israeli’s, and expanding our quarantine list... while stating we’ll enjoy an outdoor summer in a wet and cool climate...

• Advertisement

So can the current jabs be given to 16-18 year olds then? I thought it was just 18 and over?

Pfizer is currently 16+
    J&J, AZ and Moderna is currently 18+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Interesting talking to US residents over the past two weeks, a huge amount of adults are now vaccinated. All states are now pushing on with reopening with differences in criteria and measures that will remain.
    There also seems to be a class element to which vaccine you receive, with Pfizer and Moderna as the perceived gold standard and Johnson & Johnson as the work horse.

Meanwhile in Ireland, we’re quarantining fully vaccinated with Pfizer Israeli’s, and expanding our quarantine list... while stating we’ll enjoy an outdoor summer in a wet and cool climate...

Username checks out. A cruel Summer here Indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

nocoverart wrote: »
    Username checks out. A cruel Summer here Indeed :(

I read that earlier that we are quarantining arrivals from Israel. Was there any reason for this? Looks like case numbers are massively down there and they have a great vaccination rate. Maybe their cases have a high rate of a variant? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

What's the vaccination schedule for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

eagle eye wrote: »
    Most likely I'll be offered Pfizer, only about a 20% chance I'll be offered AZ at the end of this month. I'm sure I'll find a way not to get AZ without having to go to the back of the queue.

Curious about this. I'm expecting to get my first jab end of this ,onth or early next, but I was thinking I womost likely be offered AstraZeneca....there seems to be plenty it around.

Goldengirl wrote: »

So the eu and uk has had 169 occurrences from 34 million doses. Not any higher than baseline risk then

seamus wrote: »
    I agree though in principle, even if 56% turns out to be the magic number for Israel, we cannot assume the same will hold true for us. We need to keep our foot to the floor until everyone has been offered the vaccine.

Why? And in what sense?
    Firstly why wouldn't we expect to follow the Israelis? Apart from anything else they're even more densely populated so a lower threshold would make sense for us if anything.
    And what's this "foot to the floor" mean? Make every keep their lives on hold for even longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Why? And in what sense?
    Firstly why wouldn't we expect to follow the Israelis? Apart from anything else they're even more densely populated so a lower threshold would make sense for us if anything.
    And what's this "foot to the floor" mean? Make every keep their lives on hold for even longer?
    Israel thought they had 15-20% of their population previously infected with Covid. I haven't seen a recent estimate for us but I imagine it's lower? Israel had a large section of their religious population ignore social distancing.

That would suggest they started to reopen at about 70% coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,299 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Woody79 wrote:
    Great civic attitude.
    I've probably done a lot more to help my community that you have or will ever do. I could be wrong about that but we'll never know and it's not important.
    Thing is you need to be in a good place both from a health and family perspective to give your best efforts outside the home.
    So yes I'll certainly put myself and my family first but you are very mistaken to conclude that means I don't help others quite a lot.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    Israel thought they had 15-20% of their population previously infected with Covid. I haven't seen a recent estimate for us but I imagine it's lower? Israel had a large section of their religious population ignore social distancing.

That would suggest they started to reopen at about 70% coverage.

About 5% confirmed. General estimates have generally been 2-3x confirmed cases.
    So you can say we're a bit lower there, we're a bit better by not being so densely populated so it pretty much balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

So the eu and uk has had 169 occurrences from 34 million doses. Not any higher than baseline risk then

We are 3 months in from giving vaccines. What is going to pop up 6 9 months down the line. Anyway good to see the large scale human trial has found the early blood clot issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,299 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

vienne86 wrote:
    Curious about this. I'm expecting to get my first jab end of this ,onth or early next, but I was thinking I womost likely be offered AstraZeneca....there seems to be plenty it around.

April 21st we get 546k pfizer, we get 224k AZ, 128k Moderna and 41k Janssen.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/heres-how-many-vaccines-ireland-expects-to-be-delivered-in-april-may-and-june-5402721-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are they actively discriminating with choice of vaccines based on people's incomes and health insurance etc? Nothing would surprise me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Wtf they're talking now about letting "non-essiential" shops and hairdressers open next month but only for those who've gotten the shot. This is coercion to get people to take the vaccine I warned about this months and people didn't believe me.

First they said the vaccine wouldn't be mandatory and it would be completely up to you if you wished to take it or not and you could do whatever you liked whether you took it or not then that became no vaccine no foreign travel then that became no vaccine no hospitality now no vaccine no haircut or no going to non essiential shops. What's next vaccines will be required to travel on the bus or go to a supermarket or even vaccine will be required just to leave your gaff. This is insanity.

I'm guessing the reason why they're trying to coercise people into taking the shot is because a sizeable amount of people like myself don't want to take it so they need to try and force people to take it by only allowing the vaccinated partake in most everyday activities. In my opinion any business that enforces masks or vaccines should be boycotted. Regardless if you agree with vaccines or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

GT89 wrote: »
    Wtf they're talking now about letting "non-essiential" shops and hairdressers open next month but only for those who've gotten the shot. This is coercion to get people to take the vaccine I warned about this months and people didn't believe me.

First they said the vaccine wouldn't be mandatory and it would be completely up to you if you wished to take it or not and you could do whatever you liked whether you took it or not then that became no vaccine no foreign travel then that became no vaccine no hospitality now no vaccine no haircut or no going to non essiential shops. What's next vaccines will be required to travel on the bus or go to a supermarket or even vaccine will be required just to leave your gaff. This is insanity.

I'm guessing the reason why they're trying to coercise people into taking the shot is because a sizeable amount of people like myself don't want to take it so they need to try and force people to take it by only allowing the vaccinated partake in most everyday activities. In my opinion any business that enforces masks or vaccines should be boycotted. Regardless if you agree with vaccines or not.

I know, great news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nah. Take the vaccine or have a sh1t life. Them's the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is the thread for you to spread your theories:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058164666
    Vaccine Passports - threadbans in OP

Short answer is that we need a sizable amount of people to get vaccinated to achieve herd immunity and exit lockdowns, discussion can be continued on the correct thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think it’s great to see this happen. On my travels I’m meeting too many smart arse antivaxxers for my liking. It’s because of those people that normality could be jeopardised. Stadiums etc are all being discussed too, great to see. Expect to see more of this happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement