Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

hmmm wrote: »
    I think it was Macron yesterday who suggested we immediately give 5% of our vaccine supply to poorer countries.

I fully agree. Aside from any moral arguments, these countries have far fewer healthcare staff to start with and it is in our interest to suppress infection levels in other countries and reduce the chance of new variants emerging.

The moral argument is strong too.

The moral argument is strong but I fail to see how 5% of the EU's current supplies would make any dent on the spread of variants on a global scale. Macron's handling of the vaccination situation has been pretty dreadful so this would probably just give him an excuse to be behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there some sarcasm here? Not making sense to me

If it’s not making sense you know the answer to your question already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Holy moly with the good news. This *surely* means things will be better a lot sooner :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there some sarcasm here? Not making sense to me

Not at all. I think the poster "Gael23" meant to say that the vaccinated have less chance of transmitting the virus to others - because they are vaccinated.
    But they can still transmit it even though they are vaccinated.

However, the un-vaccinated have a greater chance of catching it from others and spreading it.

They have a greater chance of catching it, both from :

1) vaccinated people (whose bodies are fighting the virus more effectively because they have the vaccine)

2) as well as from the un-vaccinated

However, the capacity of their (un-vaccinated) bodies to defend themselves from the effects of the virus will be vastly reduced/compromised compared to those who have received the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's this simple, vaccine stops you getting seriously ill. Secondly, you are unlikely to give Covid to another person. It's the second point we had been waiting for data on and it's now arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Water John wrote: »
    It's this simple, vaccine stops you getting seriously ill. Secondly, you are unlikely to give Covid to another person. It's the second point we had been waiting for data on and it's now arrived.

Let's hope Moderna and AZ have similar results. This is outstanding.

titan18 wrote: »
    How much overseas aid comes from the richer countries to poorer? Considering tax take is through the floor in a lot of the richer countries cos of covid, strong argument that more of them will die if we can't get our economies going again to provide that aid.

32 EU countries, many of them smaller, have had more deaths than Zimbabwe (country in that article), so why should we not prioritise ourselves when it's having a larger effect here

The point of the article is the moral, economic and practical argument for vaccinating healthcare workers in poor countries. And it argues it well.

Much of the aid provided was aimed at making these healthcare systems a little bit better and more resilient. Covid is now putting this progress at risk. Makes sense to try and use vaccines to preserve the progress made. It'll cost more in the long run if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Holy moly with the good news. This *surely* means things will be better a lot sooner :o

It should mean that alright!

Can someone who knows more than me (not too hard) tell us if this transmission news means we can reach critical mass for herd immunity at a lower percentage of the population vaccinated then previously thought? Makes sense in my head, but I may not be factoring something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AdamD wrote: »
    Quite surprised the idea of pushing out second shots of Pfizer doesn't seem to have been mentioned at all in Ireland?
    We're at 4 weeks on those two vaccines, the limit from testing. AZ is the only one out at 12 weeks.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    It should mean that alright!

Can someone who knows more than me (not too hard) tell us if this transmission news means we can reach critical mass for herd immunity at a lower percentage of the population vaccinated then previously thought? Makes sense in my head, but I may not be factoring something in.
    Unfortunately we don't know is still the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think it was Macron yesterday who suggested we immediately give 5% of our vaccine supply to poorer countries.

I fully agree. Aside from any moral arguments, these countries have far fewer healthcare staff to start with and it is in our interest to suppress infection levels in other countries and reduce the chance of new variants emerging.

Variants can emerge from the people in our own countries then though, so that variant excuse is hogwash imo until there's enough vaccines for everyone. It can mutate anywhere.
    The point of the article is the moral, economic and practical argument for vaccinating healthcare workers in poor countries. And it argues it well.

Much of the aid provided was aimed at making these healthcare systems a little bit better and more resilient. Covid is now putting this progress at risk. Makes sense to try and use vaccines to preserve the progress made. It'll cost more in the long run if you don't.

All the while then companies here go to the wall, and our economies take longer to recover. Imo, any politician who proposes transferring vaccines that we've paid for to other countries first when their own people are suffering is a crimimal. Fair enough, when we're sorted, no issue in buying vaccines for poor countries, but not when we're still in lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just on expected supply up to the end of Q1 I've just spotted Slovakia publishing their expected supply broken down week by week, their population is a little less than Ireland and they expect 816,698 vaccines before end of March. Would tie in with the expectation here of 898,218

PFIZER
    22.2.2021-56160 dose
    1.3.2021-51480 dose
    8.3.2021-51480 dose
    15.3.2021-51480 dose
    22.3.2021-51480 dose
    29.3.2021-51480 dose

MODERNA
    22.2.2021-22800 dose
    15.3.2021-75600 dose

ASTRAZENECA
    22.2.2021-45600 dose
    1.3.2021-70842 dose
    3.3.2021-43832 dose
    10.3.2021-16055 dose
    15.3.2021-44061 dose
    22.3.2021-107044 dose
    29.3.2021-116959 dose

is_that_so wrote: »
    We're at 4 weeks on those two vaccines, the limit from testing. AZ is the only one out at 12 weeks.

Limit from testing was actually 6 weeks.

Limit from testing was actually 6 weeks.
    For which one? That 4 week on the first two was stated by the HSE/NIAC. A link would be great here.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

lbj666 wrote: »
    Lot of fuss over misuse of spares in the Combe if you recall, even before that news broke the policy was already in place to keep a short notice reserve list of 100 names (of priority )

Very likely something similar will be in place for the GPs, kind of easier just ring anyone who's due in the following week invite them in earlier.

Got both my shots on a short notice reserve list ..given 40 minutes notice to attend a nursing home from the organization I work for .. Had to wait there until 5 others turned up so they could open the last remaining bottle . I would gladly have turned up at 4 am in the morning if that's what it took

is_that_so wrote: »
    For which one? That 4 week on the first two was stated by the HSE/NIAC. A link would be great here.

Pfizer. Trial was 19 to 42 days between doses.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/eu-says-interval-between-pfizer-vaccine-doses-should-be-respected-1059378.html

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Got both my shots on a short notice reserve list ..given 40 minutes notice to attend a nursing home from the organization I work for .. Had to wait there until 5 others turned up so they could open the last remaining bottle . I would gladly have turned up at 4 am in the morning if that's what it took

My 84 yr old dad just got a call from his gp today to say they had a vaccine left over and invited him up for his.
    Mum said she’d never seen him move so fast, he literally ran up the road to the drs surgery. Delighted with himself
    We’re delighted and so relieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just on expected supply up to the end of Q1 I've just spotted Slovakia publishing their expected supply broken down week by week, their population is a little less than Ireland and they expect 816,698 vaccines before end of March. Would tie in with the expectation here of 898,218

PFIZER
    22.2.2021-56160 dose
    1.3.2021-51480 dose
    8.3.2021-51480 dose
    15.3.2021-51480 dose
    22.3.2021-51480 dose
    29.3.2021-51480 dose

MODERNA
    22.2.2021-22800 dose
    15.3.2021-75600 dose

ASTRAZENECA
    22.2.2021-45600 dose
    1.3.2021-70842 dose
    3.3.2021-43832 dose
    10.3.2021-16055 dose
    15.3.2021-44061 dose
    22.3.2021-107044 dose
    29.3.2021-116959 dose
    Does anyone fancy working out how this schedule works with priority groups :D

The Taoiseach is saying we're already seeing the impact of the vaccine rollout in long term care mortality and HCW cases

https://twitter.com/sharonmlynch/status/1362804622079983618?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So you're saying there's a chance I can get a haircut in a month? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Reading the news in this thread has brought a ray go light to my heart.

I live in Canada and haven't seen my folks in over a year, there is hope that I will see them sooner than I had thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

My 84 yr old dad just got a call from his gp today to say they had a vaccine left over and invited him up for his.
    Mum said she’d never seen him move so fast, he literally ran up the road to the drs surgery. Delighted with himself
    Love hearing stories like this.
    Delighted for your Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone fancy working out how this schedule works with priority groups :D

If it's 900,000 vaccines by the end of Q1, that's 450,000 people.
    Which would have us about two thirds through Group 3 I think.
    1.1m vaccines would have us finished all of Groups 1,2,3.

If we only get 350,000 Pfizer before the end of Q1, that will mean that Group 3 is only 50% done.
    All of Group 4 would be done with the 400,000+ AZs and almost all of Group 5.

n7LSHGL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

josip wrote: »

(Not all Group 3 will have their 2nd dose, but some Group 4 etc, will have 1st dose)

Note that we're giving the AZ doses 12 weeks apart so that complicates things. (Good thing imo as we can give more people their first dose sooner and it's been shown to give good protection during that wait for the second dose).

So 450,000 of those are AZ, I reckon that means approx 675,000 people give at least 1 dose.

(Not all Group 3 will have their 2nd dose, but some Group 4 etc, will have 1st dose)

n7LSHGL.png

Remember group 3 are not getting AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Remember group 3 are not getting AZ

Yes thanks, I was busy ninja-ing :)

If we only get 350,000 Pfizer before the end of Q1, that will mean that Group 3 is only 50% done.
    All of Group 4 would be done with the 400,000+ AZs and almost all of Group 5.

I swear I heard Colm Henry saying yesterday that AZ will not be used for over 65s but open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I swear I heard Colm Henry saying yesterday that AZ will not be used for over 65s but open to correction

I thought they said the opposite - that they expect to use it for 65-69. They also expect to use AZ for Group 7:

”The 65-69-year-olds, there are about 190,000 and we’re working on the assumption that we’ll be giving [them] the AstraZeneca vaccine,” Chief Clinical Officer Dr Colm Henry said today.

Henry said this vaccine will also likely be used as part of the seventh phase, for those aged 18-64 with medical conditions that put them at high risk.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hospitalisations-covid19-5358115-Feb2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Nice....... I don't think we're that far away from stories like this being the rule rather than the exception.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

It's very easy for someone in a position of power like Macron to say this, he has probably already received a vaccine shot or will be getting his shot soon. Also all this will do is extended the lockdown in Europe and we will see more young people die or end up with long term covid effects.

I have got a better idea, how about all the people who want to give the vaccines to Africa forfeit their shot so it can be sent to Africa?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement