Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

"Vaccines work for 6 months... that's it"

Care to provide something to back up that statement with seeing as this is the vaccine thread ?

The length of vaccine protection is currently unknown, those who were in the trials are still showing very strong protection after 6 months, they will continue to be monitored for said protection going forward.

The poster is clueless, he can’t tell the difference and assumes they are only lasting 6 months.

GT89 wrote: »
    Yes and I am against lockdowns because they are not nessecary nor are vaccine passports. Take the vaccine you are safe no need to worry if others take it or not. I want protection from corona for me.

I’m really convinced that you either haven’t a clue what’s going on around you or you are just unable to comprehend the situation.

The vaccines are the only known way out of this.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    At a very high cost of infections and death. If we don’t take the vaccines we’ll be in forever lockdowns plain and simple we are not back to normal.. Our economy is shut down haven’t you noticed??? Just give over i simply have no time for anti vaxxers. As Leo said vaccinated people will enjoy more freedoms, so if you’re ok with that don’t take the vaccine then.

The elephant in the room: Sweden wide open and normal since March 2020 without a vaccine (and Norway and other countries pretty normal as well since around April / May 2020). The only restrictions in Sweden are on business opening hours (although closing at half 8 isn't that much of a restriction really), crowd sizes (large events are on hold), and there's a recommendation to wear a mask on public transport at certain times (hardly anyone does).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The elephant in the room: Sweden wide open and normal since March 2020 without a vaccine (and Norway and other countries pretty normal as well since around April / May 2020). The only restrictions in Sweden are on business opening hours (although closing at half 8 isn't that much of a restriction really), crowd sizes (large events are on hold), and there's a recommendation to wear a mask on public transport at certain times (hardly anyone does).

And they are vaccinating as fast as us!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I am fully supportives of vaccines but completely against vaccine passports.
    If 80% people are vaccinated by end of June, you could safely assume under 25's wont have received an offer of a vaccine..so will we see
    a ridiculous situation where the over 70s are allowed to the pub but the 25 year olds aren't?! It would be incredibly difficult to envisage anyone supporting this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

You totally contradict yourself in one paragraph. You say Sweden is wide open and normal since March 2020 but then list plenty of examples of restrictions in Sweden!!!

If you check worldometer infections throughout europe are on the rise again. We are not Sweden or Florida. If we don’t take the vaccine ( that proves to work) the Irish government won’t let us get back to normal. They have already said extra freedoms for the vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

snowcat wrote: »
    We have been in lockdown for over a year. The vax's even if they work are not going to end lockdown. Variants will ensure that. Vaxes work for 6 months..thats it..India will ensure that we have many times the variants europe experienced. They are only ramping up their covid cases
    Even though RTE love to say "the vaccines work for 6 months", that's mis-reporting. The vaccines work for at least 6 months, because that's how long since they were first injected into people and that's as far back as we can test.

So far the vaccines prevent serious disease from all variants, even though again RTE have been going on and on about this for months as a risk. There's a robust debate amongst scientists as to how likely a variant which evades vaccines will emerge, and so far that's not decided.

India has a huge explosion of cases I agree. They also are not on the mandatory quarantine list, but Israel was for ehmm 4 days and now we've added err Italy. Maybe it's an auto-correct thing. I know, I know, it'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

lbj666 wrote: »
    And they are vaccinating as fast as us!

But haven't destroyed their society or economy, although their economy did take a hit because of external factors.

They reckon they'll have 5 million people fully vaccinated by June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You totally contradict yourself in one paragraph. You say Sweden is wide open and normal since March 2020 but then list plenty of examples of restrictions in Sweden!!!

A recommendation is not a restriction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

snowcat wrote: »
    Not sure if serious..

Wait, do you really think that a vaccine is a drug?

I only mentioned those restrictions because I knew someone would point them out. But they are extremely minor restrictions in the grand scheme of things. The only one that is a major restriction is large events being on hold in terms of theatres, clubs, concerts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I only mentioned those restrictions because I knew someone would point out that them out. But they are extremely minor restrictions in the grand scheme of things. The only one that is a major restriction is large events being on hold in terms of theatres, clubs, concerts etc.

So bars and restaurants have no social distancing requirements in Sweden?

Nah. Take the vaccine or have a sh1t life. Them's the rules.

That's ridiculous like saying Muslims should be made have a sh1t life because of their religion

If you check worldometer infections throughout europe are on the rise again. We are not Sweden or Florida. If we don’t take the vaccine ( that proves to work) the Irish government won’t let us get back to normal. They have already said extra freedoms for the vaccinated.

But how can they be extra freedoms when people have 0 freedoms? Extra is 'in addition to', but in addition to what? Everything is shut and there's very little people can do.

And what makes you so confident that the Irish Government will allow normal life to resume post-vaccination? I hope you're right, but I don't see any evidence to suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A recommendation is not a restriction

No large events taking place is a restriction so things are not normal in Sweden

Not the first to try and play the I think you are stupid because you have an opposing opinion to me card

Nope it’s not, i think you genuinely don’t know how serious the situation is and how much sh1te that people have gone through the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

On average, Sweden's mortality rate form Covid-19 is 600% greater than that of Norway, Finland and Denmark.

snotboogie wrote: »
    So bars and restaurants have no social distancing requirements in Sweden?

In shops and supermarkets the maximum number of people allowed in at a given time is 124 or 125, I think.

In bars and restaurants there is a bit of a distance between the tables, but they always look full. Capacity hasn't really been reduced all that much. Same with gyms. Classes are always full of people.

I was in Sweden recently. That's how I know. It really was normal there.

That's ridiculous like saying Muslims should be made have a sh1t life because of their religion

So Islam and a vaccine are the same? Okie dokie.

• Advertisement

No large events taking place is a restriction so things are not normal in Sweden

That is definitely a restriction, but it's the only really major restriction. Life is about 95% normal there, I would say.

So Islam and a vaccine are the same? Okie dokie.

Could be any religion Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism or none at all. We have a freedom of choice in religion so we should also have a freedom of choice as to whether one wishes to take a vaccine or not.

Could be any religion Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism or none at all. We have a freedom of choice in religion so we should also have a freedom of choice as to whether one wishes to take a vaccine or not.

Yeah. Prepare for a shock. A religion and a vaccine are two very different things.

On average, Sweden's mortality rate form Covid-19 is 600% greater than that of Norway, Finland and Denmark.

I'm not here to defend Sweden, but Dr Anders Tegnell was interviewed recently and he explained why Sweden can't really be compared with its neighbours. He said Sweden was hit a lot harder and a lot earlier than Norway, Finland, and Denmark, and that the elderly in nursing homes weren't protected. Now, people might argue that of course he would say that, but he really went into detail as to why Sweden differs greatly from its neighbours.

I'm not here to defend Sweden, but Dr Anders Tegnell was interviewed recently and he explained why Sweden can't really be compared with its neighbours. He said Sweden was hit a lot harder and a lot earlier than Norway, Finland, and Denmark, and that the elderly in nursing homes weren't protected. Now, people might argue that of course he would say that, but he really went into detail as to why Sweden differs greatly from its neighbours.

Sure. Put it this way. Ireland should thank its lucky stars that Tegnell wasn't in charge here during the pandemic.

Yeah. Prepare for a shock. A religion and a vaccine are two very different things.

Masks and seatbelts are also two very different things

Masks and seatbelts are also two very different things

Well spotted.

Well spotted.

And people have been comparing the two for the best part of a year

And people have been comparing the two for the best part of a year

Point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK that's enough, thread is going off topic. Discuss vaccines and testing procedures please, any more off topic posting will result in cards and threadbans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement