Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Is the portal over for over 65s tomorrow? If so, where can we find this?

Is it for all over 65s? Thanks.

It's open on the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Week of the 19th I think unless they decide to bring it forward

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Week of the 19th I think unless they decide to bring it forward

Paul Reid said he hoped to bring it forward to the week beginning on the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sd1999

iamwhoiam wrote: »

So the 18th then?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Guess we'll find out during the week so. If it's ready to go this week may as well go live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

marno21 wrote: »
    FT reporting that the Chinese CDC are considering mixing and matching vaccines due to low efficacy

- CDC head Gao Fu: “considering how to solve the problem that the efficacy of existing vaccines is not high”
    - Chinese manufacturers have not yet published the results of Phase III trials, despite 65 million vaccines being administered to date.
    - A study of Chile's vaccine rollout found the efficacy of one dose of the Sinovac vaccine is 3% (yes, three), with the second dose bringing this up to 56%
    - According to a Hong Kong panel of experts, Sinovac's vaccine has an efficacy of 50.66% amongst 18-60 year olds.

https://www.ft.com/content/c54b02d6-00a0-4b7d-9160-a9353800efd3

No wonder Chile are going through another wave despite such levels of vaccination. 3% is on par with the efficacy of baked beans.

I'd be curious to hear what the "F*ck the EU, Stephen Donnelly should be on the phone ordering 10 million doses of Russian and Chinese vaccines for delivery tomorrow, but typical HSE yada yada" posters have to say about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

I'd be curious to hear what the "F*ck the EU, Stephen Donnelly should be on the phone ordering 10 million doses of Russian and Chinese vaccines for delivery tomorrow, but typical HSE yada yada" posters have to say about this.

I may be reading this wrong but why would they order vaccines that are not really effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No actually hard info or website URL yet, but there are suggestions it may open this week. Perhaps we'll hear something tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

celt262 wrote: »
    I may be reading this wrong but why would they order vaccines that are not really effective?

That was my point. People were arguing that we should use unapproved and possibly ineffective vaccines, just to criticise the government and the EU.

Now that the chinese vaccines have been found to be ineffective, I'm wondering will the same posters now admit that the government were right not to follow their moronic plan of using unproven, ineffective vaccines?

Speaking of moronic statements, what ever became of Paddy Cosgroves claim that the German government had offered Ireland (and just Ireland) a million doses of vaccines but for some reason the Taoiseach refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Is the 860k target still achieveable for April? I'm looking at the month so far (up to Friday the 9th) and we have only completed 124k doses. If this weekend is similar to last weekend, they are giving themselves a seriously difficult target for the remainder of the month. We woiuld need 35k every single day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

That was my point. People were arguing that we should use unapproved and possibly ineffective vaccines, just to criticise the government and the EU.

Now that the chinese vaccines have been found to be ineffective, I'm wondering will the same posters now admit that the government were right not to follow their moronic plan of using unproven, ineffective vaccines?

Speaking of moronic statements, what ever became of Paddy Cosgroves claim that the German government had offered Ireland (and just Ireland) a million doses of vaccines but for some reason the Taoiseach refused?

If paddy cosgroves told me it was snowing outside right now I’d have to see for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

1huge1 wrote: »
    Is the 860k target still achieveable for April? I'm looking at the month so far (up to Friday the 9th) and we have only completed 124k doses. If this weekend is similar to last weekend, they are giving themselves a seriously difficult target for the remainder of the month. We woiuld need 35k every single day.

They dont like vaccinating on sundays or bank holiday mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is it not 860k delivered, not administered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Where are you seeing 124k doses up to Friday the 9th? My tally shows 180k for those 9 days.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Where are you seeing 124k doses up to Friday the 9th? My tally shows 180k for those 9 days.

Apologies, you are correct, 180k up until the 9th.

Is the 860k doses administrated or delivered to Ireland, perhaps I got it mixed up.

If it is administered, we would need 32k a day in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ek motor wrote: »

That might change soon, especially if they have to do over 30k vaccinations a day (they simply won't be in a position to take days off).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

sd1999 wrote: »
    I imagine they will restrict AZ by age. Whether it'll be over-30s, 50s, or 60s is probably what they're debating. As it stands, the 65-69 group were going to be getting AZ in MVCs anyway so that won't be affected. They can just use it on over-30s/50s/60s in cohort 4, 7, and the general population after that. It may require some rearranging to get more Pfizer doses to GPs for cohort 4 but that hopefully won't delay things by more than a few weeks. Personally, I'll take whatever I'm offered regardless, but I imagine that even just one rare clot in someone aged 18-30 would drastically impact uptake of AZ in that group.

You’re probably right. I hadn’t really considered one rare clot in the 18-30 group and how it could impact uptake, might be best to be cautious and slightly pre-emptive.
    For the record I too will take whatever one I’m offered without much of a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Has antigen testing improved any bit since it's first introduction? Seems to be more and more talk of it being part of short to medium term life in a few ways. I know it didn't seem to be overly reliable when first mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Anyone know how long it's taking for test results?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

22-26hrs based on two different relations getting texts this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Originally Posted by Leftwaffe View Post

I heard the website for booking would be up on 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

ek motor wrote: »

Not true, I know at least two people who were vaccinated last Monday and whose second dose is 3rd May, both Bank Holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Corholio wrote: »
    Has antigen testing improved any bit since it's first introduction? Seems to be more and more talk of it being part of short to medium term life in a few ways. I know it didn't seem to be overly reliable when first mentioned.
    There is a team looking at them and how we can use them. A report is "imminent". There are now at least 1,000 of them ranging from the useless to the possibly usable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

4.6m doses given in the US yesterday.

At that rate, they are going to run into demand shortages in the next few weeks. Once they lift that export ban it’ll be good news for supply in Europe. All upwards from here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Corholio wrote: »

There was a body set up to evaluate various rapid methods which are currently being used in appropriate settings by trained personnel.
    It is not being used for mass testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

France is getting deliveries of J&J vaccine tomorrow, a week earlier than was expected. Same for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    France is getting deliveries of J&J vaccine tomorrow, a week earlier than was expected. Same for Ireland?
    Sanofi, a French company, producing it is the most likely explanation.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Not true, I know at least two people who were vaccinated last Monday and whose second dose is 3rd May, both Bank Holidays.

Its not to say no vaccinations happen at weekends/bank holidays, but a vastly reduced number. For example, 3-5th April (inc bank holiday Monday), a total of 17k doses were administered, whereas in one day, the next day (Tuesday the 6th), 21k doses were administered.

Initially, it was due to them having used all the supply during the week for the most part, I'm not sure that can be used as an excuse at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its not to say no vaccinations happen at weekends/bank holidays, but a vastly reduced number. For example, 3-5th April (inc bank holiday Monday), a total of 17k doses were administered, whereas in one day, the next day (Tuesday the 6th), 21k doses were administered.

Initially, it was due to them having used all the supply during the week for the most part, I'm not sure that can be used as an excuse at this stage.

There isn't a backlog of vaccines, so when they're used isn't an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement