Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/nine-more-weeks-severe-lockdown-23526450.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

This article has Mehole claiming we will have 1.2 million vaccine doses per month from April.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hse-plans-to-vaccinate-1-million-people-per-month-from-april-1.4488754

This claims 1 million people.

A very important differentiation to make, which is it?

That timeframe has pretty much every person vaccinated by the end of July at worst, bar children (for whom the jury is still out)

Why are they still waffling on about September?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Another feel good & good news story:

Irish Defence Forces Deliver First Vaccines To Islands Off The West Coast of Ireland
    https://corksafetyalerts.com/news/irish-defence-forces-deliver-first-vaccines-to-islands-off-the-west-coast-of-ireland/

Good news @ Graces7 !

Yevon wrote: »
    I would imagine those with certain underlying conditions will be invited to get the AZ vaccine starting from U70 and working down.

That is my understanding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/nine-more-weeks-severe-lockdown-23526450.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

This article has Mehole claiming we will have 1.2 million vaccine doses per month from April.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hse-plans-to-vaccinate-1-million-people-per-month-from-april-1.4488754

That timeframe has pretty much every person vaccinated by the end of July at worst, bar children (for whom the jury is still out)

Under promise and over deliver I hope. Revised estimates from Denmark and Sweden have everyone vaccinated by end of June and they're on the same EU supply schedule as us so end of July at worst does sound realistic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Reading the news in this thread has brought a ray go light to my heart.

I live in Canada and haven't seen my folks in over a year, there is hope that I will see them sooner than I had thought.

This is definitely the best thread to come to if you're looking for a bit of positivity (positivity based on solid, verifiable information).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Just a run down of the last few days good news!

https://twitter.com/boghuma/status/1362871133238931465?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Just a run down of the last few days good news!

https://twitter.com/boghuma/status/1362871133238931465?s=21

I missed a load of this. Is this all accurate? 1 week for the review of J&J? And we can drop to single dose of Modena??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I know at one point they say 1 Million people but I would guess it actually doses...which would be half a million per month, so roughly 10 months (or September) to get everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think you are wrong, he said during the week they were getting advice on moving group 7 up.
    But does that mean moving group 5 down
    I am in 5 but no underlying conditions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I kinda was resigning to the fact i may never see my family in the states ever again. But as more and more news emerges I’m starting to get hopeful.

Worldwide cases are plummeting ( not all explainable either) and on top of that vaccines worlwide being rolled out. Not to mention the reductions in transmission evidence emerging. So add those 3 things together and i can see those little critters waving their little white flags in the not too distant future. So i would think that you’ll see your parents again soon enough ;)

Thanks for this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

I missed a load of this. Is this all accurate? 1 week for the review of J&J? And we can drop to single dose of Modena??

Don’t want to diss all the good news but no, not all that is accurate.

Moderna remains a 2-dose schedule.
    There was some data about the immune spike from a half dose but there is no clinical efficacy data to back it up, neither the company nor any regulators or the WHO have paid any heed to half dose or single dose for Moderna.

Regulators are doing their best to be fast but one week is a bit much to expect!
    J&J will be reviewed by FDA advisory committee next Friday so FDA may well be able to issue emergency use authorisation as soon as Monday week. But it’s not a one week review, they have had data for few weeks.

EMA have data now also (got it bit later than FDA)and will likely be able to make decision very soon also, perhaps by mid March. Don’t think J&J can supply until April anyway so no need for everyone to complain about ‘slow’ EU all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

hmmm wrote: »
    Understood. However the data emerging from Israel is making a strong case for delaying it, and also there is the possibility that Pfizer will start pushing out the new variant vaccine in Q3 which might be worth delaying the 2nd shot for.

The prospect of vaccinating an extra couple of hundred thousand people in the near term must be attractive. I'd be interested to know whether the EMA would consider something like the evidence from Israel, or is it completely a non-runner without other data.

Very good consideration and no, not a complete non-runner and would be at least considered by EMA if Pfizer wanted to submit it. But the data from Israel , as wonderful as it is, is very short term and worth noting that neither Israel public health nor Pfizer have any intention of proposing one dose. The ‘best’ evidence is still for 2 doses

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Manach wrote: »
    The GP contacted us in regard vaccine for an over 85 year old family member. As this person is house bound and unable to travel, the GP stated in that circumstance, they were unable to administer the vaccine and suggested waiting for another type of vaccine.

I had thought however, based on news reports, that the HSE said that there were plans in place for this contingency. Does anyone known anything concrete about these?

As an update.
    The HSE were contacted. They confirmed, using the the phrase "No one will be left behind", that this along with similar housebound cases will be dealt with. Unfortunately, they were not in a position to say by whom (there was a mention of relevant local authorities) or when.
    So I reckon the best bet is to await HSE protocol developments.

Promised @ stephenjmcd I would report back on my experience of the Pfizer Biontech vaccine .Then everything exploded and I went off thread except for the odd catch up on a day off .
    Had my second dose beginning week 5 after 1st dose.
    First dose had a sore arm and a bit headachey for a day or 2 afterwards but no big deal, like any other vaccine I have had .
    2 nd dose was not as good . Ended up off sick for 2 days afterwards, in bed , very tired, bit of a temperature aching all over and very bad headaches , like a flu dose .
    Then woke up on day 3 like the sun had started to shine , full of the joys and back in action again .
    We all had to report any temperatures or side effects before return and if so , get checked out by occupational health and swabbed , in case .
    Others have reported similar symptoms with this vaccine on the 2nd dose .
    But usually those with confirmed or suspected Covid previously have had some sort of stronger reaction with the second dose.
    I was very sick with a flu and cough , which was ultimately thought to be Covid last March , in the beginning, but was tested a few weeks after I recovered and tested negative .

I have been fine since the vaccine but still take usual precautions until we know for sure that transmission is reduced for definite , and that is standard atm .

I believe I am in a minority but many people complain of headaches and a sore arm on the first but usually second dose. .

Hope that is of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Pfizer:

Dose 1: Got it on a Monday, was fine for the week with just a slightly sore arm (which I managed to whack off a doorframe twice) but on the Thursday evening, Friday, Saturday and Sunday I was really quite fatigued. Was fine after taking it easy for a few days.

Dose 2: Monday 3 weeks later. Was actually fine mostly with it. A little feverish (read: warm) for an evening a few days after but overall fine.

A few people at work took a day off after Dose 2 because of headaches or a night of fever or a day in bed.

But everyone agreed that any of the side effects were better than getting COVID and the legion of unknowns that come with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mother forwarding me the Brazilian import stuff. Anything I can show her so I can stop her panicking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Mother forwarding me the Brazilian import stuff. Anything I can show her so I can stop her panicking?
    the press release literally says:

While there is currently no microbiological or epidemiological evidence of any change in transmissibility of P1, this is plausible.

I heard first hand today of HSE admin staff working in offices and nowhere near hospitals or patients were vaccinated today .
    A kick in the teeth for those badly in need of a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

the press release literally says:

While there is currently no microbiological or epidemiological evidence of any change in transmissibility of P1, this is plausible.

TBH I didn't even read it! She just sent it in panic and I rolled my eyes. Thanks lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Promised @ stephenjmcd I would report back on my experience of the Pfizer Biontech vaccine .Then everything exploded and I went off thread except for the odd catch up on a day off .
    Had my second dose beginning week 5 after 1st dose.
    First dose had a sore arm and a bit headachey for a day or 2 afterwards but no big deal, like any other vaccine I have had .
    2 nd dose was not as good . Ended up off sick for 2 days afterwards, in bed , very tired, bit of a temperature aching all over and very bad headaches , like a flu dose .
    Then woke up on day 3 like the sun had started to shine , full of the joys and back in action again .
    We all had to report any temperatures or side effects before return and if so , get checked out by occupational health and swabbed , in case .
    Others have reported similar symptoms with this vaccine on the 2nd dose .
    But usually those with confirmed or suspected Covid previously have had some sort of stronger reaction with the second dose.
    I was very sick with a flu and cough , which was ultimately thought to be Covid last March , in the beginning, but was tested a few weeks after I recovered and tested negative .

I have been fine since the vaccine but still take usual precautions until we know for sure that transmission is reduced for definite , and that is standard atm .

I believe I am in a minority but many people complain of headaches and a sore arm on the first but usually second dose. .

Hope that is of help.

Good to hear all of that.

Yeah very similar to the few healthcare workers I know. 2nd dose left them feeling a bit crap next day, day later absolutely fine as good as new

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I heard first hand today of HSE admin staff working in offices and nowhere near hospitals or patients were vaccinated today .
    A kick in the teeth for those badly in need of a vaccine

You mean group 4. Given group 3 is underway and they are only getting the mRNA vaccines, group 4 are next

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Goldengirl wrote: »
    It's interesting that the studies seem to suggest that having had Covid, and then getting a single dose of the vaccine, that you're getting antibody levels similar to two doses of the vaccine. I wonder if (in a completely unscientific sense) having Covid, then two doses of vaccine, is just sending your system into the complete over-drive with what are almost three doses.

The immune system is a wonderful and complex thing.....

Good to hear all of that.

Yeah very similar to the few healthcare workers I know. 2nd dose left them feeling a bit crap next day, day later absolutely fine as good as new

Guess I'm a wee bit older than them ;) but similar stories from some of my colleagues.
    Just to say we are wondering if those confirmed as having had Covid in future may not have to have that ( nasty ) second dose?
    Maybe our bodies were saying " enough already " !

hmmm wrote: »
    It's interesting that the studies seem to suggest that having had Covid, and then getting a single dose of the vaccine, that you're getting antibody levels similar to two doses of the vaccine. I wonder if (in a completely unscientific sense) having Covid, then two doses of vaccine, is just sending your system into the complete over-drive with what are almost three doses.

The immune system is a wonderful and complex thing.....

Was just thinking and posting the same !

You mean group 4. Given group 3 is underway and they are only getting the mRNA vaccines, group 4 are next

The people I know are admin staff , working in offices fir the HSE . No patient contact ever in any form
    Group 4 are “ other healthcare workers “
    These are admin not healthcare workers

The people I know are admin staff , working in offices fir the HSE . No patient contact ever in any form

How would the health system work with zero admin?

group 4 is "Other HCWs not in direct patient contact"

And anyone who works for the HSE is a healthcare worker, by the way

How would the health system work with zero admin?

It wouldn’t of course but surely they are not considered healthcare workers ?
    In offices far away from any contact with the public ?

group 4 is "Other HCWs not in direct patient contact"

And anyone who works for the HSE is a healthcare worker, by the way

Ok . Seems very un fair to me so

• Advertisement

Ok . Seems very un fair to me so
    In what way?
    Why would they not vaccinate some of the HSE?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement