Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do we know yet what vaccine carers of vulnerable people are getting ? Or indeed do we know what vaccine 65- 70 are getting ? I would have thought they were more deserving than a healthy 32 year old

I know for a fact that some firefighters are not yet vaccinated either by the way

There is no doubt it has been handied badly in a lot of places .

It is largely down to the limited supply I think.
    If it could have been given like in UK in large swathes , at one go , it would have been cleaner.
    But then people would have been complaining about waiting for the larger vaccine shipments to be accrued.
    I do think more of an effort should be made to ensure patient facing staff are prioritised , to repeat my previous post .

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Oh absolutely.
    I post just to inform but hope not put people off !

Whatever I had last March was the worst dose I have EVER had and I know people since , my age and younger , who have been very unwell with it , and some are still .
    Most of us have avoided hospital bar one who came home two days later terrified , and on oxygen .
    I could not walk around our house or upstairs without getting breathless and coming out in a cold sweat for at least four weeks from the start of it .
    Should have antibody testing when it became available, but let it go ...
    I was recovered by end of April / beginning of May but didn't go back to my regular duty till June .

It’s like the body said, oh no, not you again and prepared for the worst after the vaccine. Heard similar from a nurse I know who was off sick last March for other reasons and breezed through both doses with little other than a sore arm. While a handful of colleagues who worked through the spring had varying degrees of more unpleasant symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Maintenance Contractors work for the HSE.

Are they deemed a healthcare worker?

There actually are a lot of contractors employed within the HSE who have contact with patients and have to work in close proximity - think contracted Security/Porters, Cleaners, Catering and so on. Those people need to be vaccinated.

You could also have less obvious ones like technical professions - plumbers, engineers, IT who keep the show on the road.

I understand that rational , thank you for pointing it out . It’s difficult to see the thought process when you have vulnerable family members waiting I guess

My husband would be in that group too .
    But as he said it makes no difference to him as once he goes into hospital or yo any clinic he wants to be sure that there us noone working in the place from nurse to admin to porter who can be infectious.

The fact that we don't know for definite whether that is totally true or not is not something I want to get into with him , as am glad he is being so altruistic and positive !

Edit. I get you though. Your children are different . He is an adult and can be rationalising it for himself...I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My husband would be in that group too .
    But as he said it makes no difference to him as once he goes into hospital or yo any clinic he wants to be sure that there us noone working in the place from nurse to admin to porter who can be infectious.

The fact that we don't know for definite whether that is totally true or not is not something I want to get into with him , as am glad he is being so altruistic and positive !
    I agree with him . Just bothered me today to hear of this strapping 32 year old who is miles away from any patients and will never see one , being vaccinated !!
    He works purely in admin processing forms but it is what it is and no point getting upset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

There actually are a lot of contractors employed within the HSE who have contact with patients and have to work in close proximity - think contracted Security/Porters, Cleaners, Catering and so on. Those people need to be vaccinated.

You could also have less obvious ones like technical professions - plumbers, engineers, IT who keep the show on the road.

I'm agreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Last/first time I was in hospital the people I had contact with on a descending timescale:
    Nurse
    HCA
    Catering Staff
    Doctor/consultant
    Porter
    Engineer (fixing the bed across from me)
    Some guy from the gastro department fitting a patient with a belt for him to swallow a camera
    Nutritionist.

I was actually surprised how many people you see in and out of wards.
    I was also shocked how little time you see doctors.
    Opened my eyes to how much nurses and HCA's do in a hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

It'd be a good idea to pre-vaccinate anyone who is going for outpatients or similar appointments with hospitals.

E.g. if you're booked in for an outpatient's appointment for any kind of procedure, your GP should be able to offer you a jab in advance of your appointment, preferably a month ahead.

There's a fair few higher risk procedures e.g. anything invasive ENT or respiratory related, obviously but its of other areas too.

It'd help keep it out of hospitals entirely.

It'd be a good idea to pre-vaccinate anyone who is going for outpatients or similar appointments with hospitals.

E.g. if you're booked in for an outpatient's appointment for any kind of procedure, your GP should be able to offer you a jab in advance of your appointment, preferably a month ahead.

It's going to be a long time waiting for outpatient appointments!
    We'll probably have the most at risk vaccinated by then!

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It's going to be a long time waiting for outpatient appointments!
    We'll probably have the most at risk vaccinated by then!

Actually not the case, for example I know two people both going in for minor procedures e.g. a biopsy in one case, and they were not waiting very long appointments setup in early Feb for late March.

Depending on what it is, some of it can move quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's a fair few higher risk procedures e.g. anything invasive ENT or respiratory related, obviously but its of other areas too.

Given the size of the waiting lists most of the folk will get the vaccine much much sooner than their appointment.

It’s like the body said, oh no, not you again and prepared for the worst after the vaccine. Heard similar from a nurse I know who was off sick last March for other reasons and breezed through both doses with little other than a sore arm. While a handful of colleagues who worked through the spring had varying degrees of more unpleasant symptoms.

Raind, more than the body saying that , lol :D

Maybe we could save a few 2nd doses next time round .

It would still make sense that if you're going to be physically attending hospital for a procedure, or sitting around for infusions or a regular patient who's in and out a lot, you should be getting priority vaccination to prevent risks.

If your GP knows you're going to be attending they should be able to prioritise that.

There are people in and out all the time for blood tests, infusions, dialysis, various issues like that.

I agree with him . Just bothered me today to hear of this strapping 32 year old who is miles away from any patients and will never see one , being vaccinated !!
    He works purely in admin processing forms but it is what it is and no point getting upset

The KPMG accountants pvssed me off when I heard about it I have to say .

It would still make sense that if you're going to be physically attending hospital for a procedure, or sitting around for infusions or a regular patient who's in and out a lot, you should be getting priority vaccination to prevent risks.

If your GP knows you're going to be attending they should be able to prioritise that.

There are people in and out all the time for blood tests, infusions, dialysis, various issues like that.

Would be in one of the groups being vaccinated early surely anyhow with underlying conditions ?

Would be in one of the groups being vaccinated early surely anyhow with underlying conditions ?

Nope, in one case an 80+ year old with a form of blood cancer, who is not vaccinated yet and received no priority whatsoever and has yet to receive any contact from her GP.

She's an active, very much on-the-ball type who is aware of the risks and has been rather concerned about the lack of priority and is not impressed at all with the way this is being rolled out.

The way things are going, it's likely she'll end up going into hospital for a procedure, unvaccinated.

Nope, in one case an 80+ year old with a form of blood cancer, who is not vaccinated yet and received no priority whatsoever and has yet to receive any contact form her GP.

She's an active, very much on-the-ball type who is aware of the risks and has been rather concerned about the lack of priority and is not impressed at all with the way this is being rolled out.

GP's are starting with 85+ first.
    Then 80+
    This week was a trial run in a limited number of GP surgery's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Mother forwarding me the Brazilian import stuff. Anything I can show her so I can stop her panicking?

Reruns of Father Ted are great, they'd take your mind off anything.

GP's are starting with 85+ first.
    Then 80+
    This week was a trial run in a limited number of GP surgery's involved.

I don't want to give away her details online here with too much details but she's over 85.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nope, in one case an 80+ year old with a form of blood cancer, who is not vaccinated yet and received no priority whatsoever and has yet to receive any contact form her GP.

That's down to her GP. By virtue of her age alone she's in the vulnerable group. If she's over 85 someone should be contacting her this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I am just in the door after a 15hr day travelling to a couple of centres in Galway and Sligo commissioning and validating the fridges for storage in the vaccination centres. Very impressed with the setup in each of them and centres are setup for a high capacity.
    I am feeling very hopeful that things will ramp up sooner than we think.

Turtwig wrote: »
    That's down to her GP. By virtue of her age alone she's in the vulnerable group. If she's over 85 someone should be contacting her this week.

Hopefully they do or it will be fairly risky for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I have a two young family members in group 7 . They will wait months while one of their friends who works in an office is vaccinated . It’s difficult for them and me to then try to rationalise it

I'm a young mother to young children. I'm in group 7 and I have 4 underlying conditions from the group. I personally think I should be vaxxed before group 5 (that have no underlying conditions) with but that's me being selfish. If an office worker for the HSE or someone the HSE is using to keep them running gets vaxxed before me I totally understand why. If the system breaks down then me with my young children just may end up dead.

I don't want to give away her details online here with too much details but she's over 85.

Fair enough.
    I would have thought she'd have been contacted by now by her GP if shes 85+
    I know people here were reporting about elderly relatives been giving dates weeks from now, but quickly corrected to have been sooner.
    Maybe she should get in touch with her GP? Would have been nice if the Government ran an information campaign, like if your GP doesn't contact you by this date and you're over 85+, do this or phone this number etc..
    I can understand alot of anxious people are waiting for a phone call, worrying they may have been forgotten about.

I'll try her GP again on Monday. They are extremely difficult to reach most of the time. You could be trying the phone for maybe an hour or more. It just keeps going to voicemail and they never return the calls - you just get a message saying "you've reached .... clinic. Our lines are busy. Please try later or leave a message."

I'm a young mother to young children. I'm in group 7 and I have 4 underlying conditions from the group. I personally think I should be vaxxed before group 5 (that have no underlying conditions) with but that's me being selfish. If an office worker for the HSE or someone the HSE is using to keep them running gets vaxxed before me I totally understand why. If the system breaks down then me with my young children just may end up dead.

Just you mentioning 4 underlying conditions, I'm curious as to how group 7 would be rolled out, will it be up to GP's to vaccinate based on their judgement on whose more at risk (regardless of age)
    I'm sure there's plenty of younger people in group 7 with far more serious underlying conditions than an older person with a single one.

I'll try her GP again on Monday. They are extremely difficult to reach most of the time. You could be trying the phone for maybe an hour or more. It just keeps going to voicemail and they never return the calls - you just get a message saying "you've reached .... clinic. Our lines are busy. Please try later or leave a message."

Maybe you can try email? I'd say they are finding it hard to answer calls all the time.
    It's certainly a serious downside to GP's vaccinating, they also have other patients ringing for other issues.

Maybe you can try email? I'd say they are finding it hard to answer calls all the time.
    It's certainly a serious downside to GP's vaccinating, they also have other patients ringing for other issues.

I'll see if I can find one for them. I might resort to faxing them as I do have a fax number for them and could probably do email-to-fax.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That just isn't good enough. If they need another staff member they take one on.
    More GPs will be getting vaccines next week but not sure if all.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    That just isn't good enough. If they need another staff member they take one on.
    More GPs will be getting vaccines next week but not sure if all.

They were like that long before the pandemic. Just an extremely busy practice.

I can't understand though in this day and age, with widely available VoIP services, why they can't operate a call queuing system instead of dumping people to voicemail. I've come across that at two GPs in two different cities and it's pretty obvious that there's going to be a huge amount of extra phone demand during this pandemic, which is now rolling on for almost a year.

It's literally just an eir landline voicemail box that's permanently answering because the line is always busy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement