Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

VG31 wrote: »
    The way they're talking about it we could have 100% of the country vaccinated but still have lockdown-like restrictions because of "variants". Midsummer before hospitality opens? That's complete bull****.

It's like they're trying to prove the conspiracy theorists right by coming out with crap like this.

Not even midsummer before hospitality opens, but it will be midsummer before they consider it! How good of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

You do not need to contact us to get your COVID-19 vaccine. We will let you know when you can register for your vaccine through your healthcare team, news or public advertising.

Has there been any further information on this?

Just wondering because I haven't been to a GP in years and I doubt I'm on any register.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If that happens i can see young people start emmigrating, i for one won’t stay in this country if that is the end result. I certainly wouldn’t stay here.

Time to start thinking of our futures.

I’ve already started looking at internship opportunities in the US for next year, I’m out the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Deathofcool

Cork2021 wrote: »
    This variants crap has to stop! Can’t keep going with the same line!!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198280-taoiseach-restrictions/

Here's the bit they left out

https://twitter.com/RMcGreevy1301/status/1363087982690000897?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Colm Hendry said earlier that the uk varient was 40 to 60% more transmissible, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

hmmm wrote: »

A minor point, but that bot calculates the daily number by subtracting the previous day's total (Tuesday) from the current day's total (Wednesday). But the HSE are also updating the records for the days prior.

So the numbers administered on a specific day cannot be properly calculated as above. Just over 16K was administered.

https://twitter.com/ShaneHastingsIE/status/1362407088094339074

mr zulu wrote: »
    Colm Hendry said earlier that the uk varient was 40 to 60% more transmissible, is that correct?

The latest studies put it at around 30%. The Danes estimate it to be 36% more transmissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There was an interestingdiscussion on Lunchtime Live yesterday regarding, what I see, as the porous nature of our current quarantine arrangements at points of entry. It demonstrates a potentially dangerous loophole in the current scene. See what you make of this

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-lunchtime-live/they-have-no-intentions-of-self-isolating-so-as-soon-as-i-have-their-post-code-ill-be-letting-the-gardai-know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

hynesie08 wrote: »
    But but but variants. Or some other bull**** to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭brickster69

But but but variants. Or some other bull**** to that effect

Pfizer won't recommend that. It's sales will drop. Better off saying something after everyone has been given a second dose like " a booster is now required "

Another 3 or 4 billion in the coffers.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

2 shots very likely to help with long term protection compared to one

wadacrack wrote: »
    2 shots very likely to help with long term protection compared to one
    I don't think anyone is saying give one dose only. But there is at least anecdotal evidence that delaying the second dose doesn't affect short-term immunity all that much and it would allow a lot more people to get protection in the short term while there are supply constraints.

There's a health and an economic consideration here as it may allow us to reopen sooner. Obviously we should be deferring to the health experts on the decision, but we're in a pandemic and you'd hope we wouldn't let the perfect become the enemy of the (general) good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Unless Pfizer change the label, meaning EMA approval it probably won't happen. Authorities here have very much been by the label/EMA recommendations and even more conservative on the Astra Zeneca side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

With all the negativity today, this has cheered me up.

https://twitter.com/helenorahilly/status/1363098258470494209?s=21

I don't think anyone is saying give one dose only. But there is at least anecdotal evidence that delaying the second dose doesn't affect short-term immunity all that much and it would allow a lot more people to get protection in the short term while there are supply constraints.

There's a health and an economic consideration here as it may allow us to reopen sooner. Obviously we should be deferring to the health experts on the decision, but we're in a pandemic and you'd hope we wouldn't let the perfect become the enemy of the (general) good.

Its just anecdotal atm. Im not sure its worth the risk when you compare both doses. The second dose is 10 times higher in the sense of level of neutralizing antibodies, which is one of the parameters of immunity.

Overall though the data out of Israel has been very promising. We should remember that vaccine supply will hopefully improve here soon. Beena few good developments this week

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I do think there is an argument for this. Two dose for vulnerable groups as usual. Single dose for everyone else as soon as possible. Then second dose for everyone after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Turtwig wrote: »
    I do think there is an argument for this. Two dose for vulnerable groups as usual. Single dose for everyone else as soon as possible. Then second dose for everyone after.

Would be a way of getting us all some sort of immunity quicker and with J&J in April you’ll have a critical mass vaccinated by mid May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Should add that there are pictures of the set up in the helix etc on her feed of anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »

I think that I would lean towards this as well, but if we're still giving the elderly and vulnerable 2 doses at 4 weeks, would it make much of a difference timewise?

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its just anecdotal atm. Im not sure its worth the risk when you compare both doses. The second dose is 10 times higher in the sense of level of neutralizing antibodies, which is one of the parameters of immunity.
    Yes, but in the short-term the neutralising levels from one dose look to be significantly above where they need to be to provide protection - it's not even close. I understand that for longer term protection you will need the second shot, but no-ones arguing not to give that.

At a stroke of the pen the EMA or who-ever makes these decisions could, if they think the data justifies it, immediately allow for millions of more people to be vaccinated. The economic impact alone of getting everyone vaccinated by June vs September would be absolutely huge.

Is it too much to ask that stories like this are on the front page of the papers Monday, instead of a shuttered pub.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

lbj666 wrote: »
    Unless Pfizer change the label, meaning EMA approval it probably won't happen. Authorities here have very much been by the label/EMA recommendations and even more conservative on the Astra Zeneca side of things.

Just to add to this that doesn't mean I nessesarily agree. I've been very much of the opinion the UKs decision was a carefully analysed calculated risk, the risk was the very slight chance that the early 1st dose data was off, meaning a bit of a false start and the consequence no recourse indemnity wise from Pfizer.

I don't believe this wreckless political gamble craic, medical professionals would have to sign off on it and I have major doubts that Hancock/Boris would have promised some form of amnesity if they were forced to and it went wrong, or if they did promise such that they would be trusted

Yes, but in the short-term the neutralising levels from one dose look to be significantly above where they need to be to provide protection - it's not even close. I understand that for longer term protection you will need the second shot, but no-ones arguing not to give that.

At a stroke of the pen the EMA or who-ever makes these decisions could, if they think the data justifies it, immediately allow for millions of more people to be vaccinated. The economic impact alone of getting everyone vaccinated by June vs September would be absolutely huge.

Maybe it will in time. But they cant really do it based off just one study and with no other country following that protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The data isn't there to support 1 dose yet, and by the time the data is available, it's unlikely that supply will be the same issue as it is now (esp. if J&J is approved and being delivered). We should hit a point over the next few weeks where we're still vaccinating the over 60's (and thus 2 shots needed) while the 1 shots vaccine also become available.

What's happening right now is the government wanting the vaccine program to have the maximum effect, so keep lockdown in place, don't plan for summer, so that if the data looks better, things can open and stay open, rather than flipping back and forth again. There's no election in the next 2 months, and people will forget about the length of lockdown very quickly when things open again (very similar story with PPE last year, advising people not to use and hoard it, then when supplies were secured, told everyone to start using it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Good thread about the hypocrisy of G7 in relation to Covid vaccinations in poorer countries. The G7 are pushing this not out of altruism for poorer nations but for their own self interest.

There are far bigger healthcare issues in poorer nations than Covid but the G7 seem to care little about those.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwisterFilm/status/1362699231128145921

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

In fairness he wouldn't know an anova test from his elbow, but his channel is still a good view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The data shows 3 people in cohort 3 that have been double dosed already. It would be interesting to know what setting they got their dose earlier than the over 70s rollout. Perhaps they were in hospital just at the time they had excess doses at the end of the day vaccinating health care workers or something?

Or would Annie Lynch (first person to get vaccine) be one of these?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement