Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The data shows 3 people in cohort 3 that have been double dosed already. It would be interesting to know what setting they got their dose earlier than the over 70s rollout. Perhaps they were in hospital just at the time they had excess doses at the end of the day vaccinating health care workers or something?

Or would Annie Lynch (first person to get vaccine) be one of these?

It’s also interesting that the 4,000 or so not coded to a cohort now mostly have been, I assume into cohort 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Vulnerable 18-64s (Group 7) to be moved up to #5 on the priority list
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1363160729680027653?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

When would first jabs happen there? I’ve a few family members that would fall into that category

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork2021 wrote: »
    When would first jabs happen there? I’ve a few family members that would fall into that category
    I assume fairly soon as it's probably the AZ jabs. I'm in that category myself so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

So Groups 5 (65-69) & 6 move down a notch.
    Group 6 are "workers essential to vaccine rollout". Weren't some of these already vaccinated in recent weeks?
    What kind of jobs are in this group in addition to the people administering the vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Hopefully they have the sense to make it medically vulnerable 18-70 or they're really screwing some 65-70 years olds

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Hopefully they have the sense to make it medically vulnerable 18-70 or they're really screwing some 65-70 years olds

I’d doubt they’ll bump them up over the 65-69 group more like group 7 (people aged 18-65 with certain medical conditions) will be bumped up before group 6 (keyworkers) as I think some of group 6 have already received vaccinations as they are part of/ have a role in the vaccination process?

One dose for younger gen going forward??

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1363171631703687171?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Agreed, but it doesn't have to be "finish group 5 before starting on group 6" (or whichever), can do groups concurrently when there's enough vaccine supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Numberswise Group 7 are a bigger group. There's no reason why it can't be done concurrently once Group 3 is finished, as any vaccine can be used. Groups 5 &7 together are about the same size as Group 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

By mid-May, a half a million people in the over-70s cohort will have completed their vaccinations.

This week, 80,000 people will be vaccinated in Ireland and the total number vaccinated so far will be 300,000, Donnelly said.

Next week, 100,000 people will be vaccinated.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/this-is-the-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-donnelly-optimistic-as-almost-1000-over-85s-vaccinated-at-the-helix-40112664.html

Additionally, Prof. MacCraith again mentioned 1 million per month for April, May and June on RTÉ News.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Apogee wrote: »

Doses or people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Doses but 1.1 m of them will probably be J&J where doses = people. I think last forecast I heard was 2.3 m people fully done in Q2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

is_that_so wrote: »
    Numberswise Group 7 are a bigger group. There's no reason why it can't be done concurrently once Group 3 is finished, as any vaccine can be used. Groups 5 &7 together are about the same size as Group 3.

According to the SBB , Group 5 is bigger than Group 7.

n7LSHGL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

josip wrote: »
    According to the SBB , Group 5 is bigger than Group 7.

n7LSHGL.png
    I find that a handy reference but not always wholly accurate.
    More than 370,000 people aged between 18 and 64 were ranked at number seven in the initial vaccination allocation list announced late last year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198333-coroanvirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

hmmm wrote: »
    Yes, but in the short-term the neutralising levels from one dose look to be significantly above where they need to be to provide protection - it's not even close. I understand that for longer term protection you will need the second shot, but no-ones arguing not to give that.

Isn't there also the possibility, in general with these things, that half doing something can increase the probability of resistant variants emerging?

The peoples' bodies don't have the full strength of the protection available, which means that the virus can still get in and "mess about for a bit", and will have more time for a mutation to arise which is resistant to the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So to get up to and including group 7 done that's 1 million people (980k), how long will this take? I will adhere fully to the rules until we hit this benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Maybe I'm missing something about the whole debate we're having in this country, but I'm not getting the gloom and doom. The vaccine data coming out of Israel is spectacular - infections down 95.8%, no fever or breathing problems for 98%, 98.9% effective at preventing hospitalisations and death. This pandemic will be under control sooner than we think in my opinion.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine/covid-infections-dropped-95-8-after-both-pfizer-shots-israeli-health-ministry-idUSKBN2AK0NC?il=0

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Maybe I'm missing something about the whole debate we're having in this country, but I'm not getting the gloom and doom. The vaccine data coming out of Israel is spectacular - infections down 95.8%, no fever or breathing problems for 98%, 98.9% effective at preventing hospitalisations and death. This pandemic will be under control sooner than we think in my opinion.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine/covid-infections-dropped-95-8-after-both-pfizer-shots-israeli-health-ministry-idUSKBN2AK0NC?il=0

Same here

I'm wondering is the very negative messaging a ploy by the govt to maintain compliance until we hit a critical mass of up to group 7 vaccinated?

Don't think its.working tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here

I'm wondering is the very negative messaging a ploy by the govt to maintain compliance until we hit a critical mass of up to group 7 vaccinated?

I think you're right about the government messaging there.....and I agree....it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Agreed, you can either put your trust in the data coming out of Israel, or you can decide to trust the narrative of a government that has no coherent communications strategy and has got it wrong before. I'll put my faith in the data coming from Israel, which, barring an unlikely collapse in our vaccination program, will ring true on our island soon too, I suggest others trust this data too. The government should try to actually effectively govern in the meantime, a radical strategy I know.

By the way, this is not a suggestion to ignore public health measures that are in place, but to believe in the data, the science and to believe that vaccinations will get us out of this sooner rather than later and to not to hinge on every prediction the government makes as if it were gospel, they are not infallible, as was evident from the reopening fiasco of December 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looking at the SBP chart in Post 159 and the vaccine rollout over months, when would people consider that, the covid restrictions could be lowered?

I realise that infection numbers play into any decision also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd imagine we'll start seeing a whole cohort of people emerge with "underlying health conditions" making the order change a bit of a farce (and driven by politics rather than science...).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Water John wrote: »
    Looking at the SBP chart in Post 159 and the vaccine rollout over months, when would people consider that, the covid restrictions could be lowered?

I realise that infection numbers play into any decision also.

Restrictions could be lowered after group 7, restrictions should be almost gone by the time group 11 is done and rollout has started to 12 & 13.

Ultimately we'll follow what other countries are doing, regardless of what the government are saying now.

astrofool wrote: »
    I'd imagine we'll start seeing a whole cohort of people emerge with "underlying health conditions" making the order change a bit of a farce (and driven by politics rather than science...).

I'd be surprised if that happens, GPs would effectively have to engage in fraud themselves and could lose their right to practice medicine as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Once up to speed it will roll through the different Groups quite quickly. I think once it gets to Group 9/10, if hospital numbers are low, relax a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here

3 weeks after the shot before it kicks in so the govt doesn't want everyone who is vaccinated swanning aroundthe place. Because they can be still infected. That's what happened in Israel.

Water John wrote: »
    Once up to speed it will roll through the different Groups quite quickly. I think once it gets to Group 9/10, if hospital numbers are low, relax a bit.

Agreed, why the government are incapable of stating that loosening of restrictions in a meaningful way is dependent on progress of the vaccination program and hospitalisations based on data I do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

astrofool wrote: »

I would think the very least you need is a GP or Consultants letter to be honest
    The you hardly rock up and say I am a Type 1 diabetic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement