Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

what are the latest vaccination numbers for Ireland, are they releasing them daily yet?

Released here daily, but with a 48hr delay. https://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/with_replies?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Some small European governments are turning to China for Covid-19 vaccines, WSJ reports here (paywall).

- Hungary became the first EU member to separately authorize and buy Sinopharm’s shots starting with five million doses.
    - Serbia are also using Chinese shots.
    - Montenegro and North Macedonia to start using Chinese shots.
    - Czech Republic are some other "larger countries" considering using Chinese shots.
    - 53 countries globally to use Chinese shots.
    - German Health Minister Jens Spahn called on the EU to approve the shot made by China’s Sinopharm Group if it were found to be safe and effective.
    - Austrian wants China to manufacture shots in Austria.
    - Sinopharm and Sinovac Biotech Ltd vaccines have not been peer reviewed and have not sought EMA authorisation.
    - Hungary have now administered eight doses for every 100 due to Chinese supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JTMan wrote: »
    Some small European governments are turning to China for Covid-19 vaccines, WSJ reports here (paywall).

- Hungary became the first EU member to separately authorize and buy Sinopharm’s shots starting with five million doses.
    - Serbia are also using Chinese shots.
    - Montenegro and North Macedonia to start using Chinese shots.
    - Czech Republic are some other "larger countries" considering using Chinese shots.
    - 53 countries globally to use Chinese shots.
    - German Health Minister Jens Spahn called on the EU to approve the shot made by China’s Sinopharm Group if it were found to be safe and effective.
    - Austrian wants China to manufacture shots in Austria.
    - Sinopharm and Sinovac Biotech Ltd vaccines have not been peer reviewed and have not sought EMA authorisation.
    - Hungary have now administered eight doses for every 100 due to Chinese supply.
    Most of then are not EU countries and Spahn is well-named, a bit of a spanner! Very quick with the comments, not all of them bright.

So would it be correct to say J&J would be approved quicker given that AZ was not under rolling review?
    And if that is the case does anyone know the timeframe between approval at EMA level and distribution to EU countries?
    That depends on when the EMA decide to discuss it and when they get the official application. Distribution will be very swift based on other vaccines, once logistics are sorted it's likely to be less than a week. End of March is not unrealistic for supplies.

AZ are to test the vaccine on kids from 7-16, starting before the end of the month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56052673

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

is_that_so wrote: »
    AZ are to test the vaccine on kids from 7-16, starting before the end of the month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56052673

They won't be testing on my ****ing kids.

Because I do not have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How many people are in Group 2 of the vaccine rollout? I see 91,000 in that group have got 1st doses - is there many more to go?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How many people are in Group 2 of the vaccine rollout? I see 91,000 in that group have got 1st doses - is there many more to go?
    There are about 85K in care homes and about 95K in group 2. Another group of 110K HCWs has been mentioned for vaccination. That most probably includes the remainders of Groups 4 & 6. They will most likely be getting AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Good news and bad news from Israel. The vaccinated aren't ending up in hospital, but there is a much wider spread amongst younger unvaccinated people. I think this will disprove the notion that we reopen everything once the "vulnerable" are vaccinated - we'll have to be cautious for a while yet.

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1360401956230090754

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are about 85K in care homes and about 95K in group 2. Another group of 110K HCWs has been mentioned for vaccination. That most probably includes the remainders of Groups 4 & 6. They will most likely be getting AZ.

So group 2 is pretty much done with first doses and has 66,000 second doses done

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So group 2 is pretty much done with first doses and has 66,000 second doses done
    Maybe that many but it probably distributes over both groups. There was a pause of sorts on Group 2 while they did care homes. Then some care homes had outbreaks so couldn't be done immediately. By the end of the month both should be fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

hmmm wrote: »
    Good news and bad news from Israel. The vaccinated aren't ending up in hospital, but there is a much wider spread amongst younger unvaccinated people. I think this will disprove the notion that we reopen everything once the "vulnerable" are vaccinated - we'll have to be cautious for a while yet.

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1360401956230090754

Not sure how that disproves anything. Don't think anybody is under the illusion that vaccinating the vulnerable makes the virus disappear. Infections will still occur, the question is, will the healthcare system be able to handle it and will the population accept lots of people being infected even if its not frequently serious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭brickster69

DaSilva wrote: »
    Not sure how that disproves anything. Don't think anybody is under the illusion that vaccinating the vulnerable makes the virus disappear. Infections will still occur, the question is, will the healthcare system be able to handle it and will the population accept lots of people being infected even if its not frequently serious

That's the thing by the looks of it. You close off one group and then it goes for another.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n383

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

That's the thing by the looks of it. You close off one group and then it goes for another.

Yeah that is the thing alright, like I said, with the most vulnerable vaccinated, infections wont cease. The questions will be, are they getting very sick and putting an unmanageable burden on the healthcare system and, as a nation are we ok with letting the infection continue to spread though our population if it is only causing mild disease

On a more positive note it looks like the UK & IRE got this strain far earlier and things have peaked. Unfortunately i think a lot of other countries have got that surge still to come.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's been plenty of calls to reopen everything if the "vulnerable" are vaccinated.

We know however that there are enough in the "non-vulnerable" category to overwhelm the system just due to sheer numbers if we let the virus spread unchecked.

I'm making the point that the evidence in Israel is proving this, and we will have to continue to be careful for a while yet.

I don't see any data to suggest the virus has become more dangerous for younger groups, just that more of them are becoming infected and in a shorter period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Over 70 will be all vaccinated by around the End of April. Also because AZ not being used on them, a cohort u70 will also be vaccinated at that point. How many weeks will it them take to complete all over 18? 10 to 12 weeks or a lot quicker if vaccines are available. We need to just wait. We can open to a certain degree once over 70s are done but not overdo it.

hmmm wrote: »
    There's been plenty of calls to reopen everything if the "vulnerable" are vaccinated.

We know however that there are enough in the "non-vulnerable" category to overwhelm the system just due to sheer numbers if we let the virus spread unchecked.

I'm making the point that the evidence in Israel is proving this, and we will have to continue to be careful for a while yet.

I don't see any data to suggest the virus has become more dangerous for younger groups, just that more of them are becoming infected and in a shorter period of time.

I read the twitter thread you linked but there was no suggestion in it that young israelis were "... enough ... to overwhelm the system just due to sheer numbers". I'm not saying its not possible, I'm just wondering where the evidence is you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

For every jab that is given, we reduce the risk of death, hospitalisations and transmission! The fact we’ve put over 250,000 jabs into people’s arms will make a huge difference in a short few weeks! Just look at the amount of hospital outbreaks over the past year! We are basically stopping this right now! All HCW will be jabbed in the next week and our over 85’s will be have gotten the most efficacious of the vaccines!!

• Advertisement

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Bad news for the mutant merchants :pac:

"Professor Durrant said: "We are getting as good, if not better, antibody levels than other [vaccines], and more, and better T-cell responses.

"But that is in animals and we need to move into humans to see if it performs as well." "

So far my pet lab mouse is over the moon with the news

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

who is going to lose their job because of this failure?

https://twitter.com/NeilLeslie2/status/1360652294266757121

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Yeah that is the thing alright, like I said, with the most vulnerable vaccinated, infections wont cease. The questions will be, are they getting very sick and putting an unmanageable burden on the healthcare system and, as a nation are we ok with letting the infection continue to spread though our population if it is only causing mild disease
    Hopefully we get some data on this soon in order to be able to plan our way out of lockdown without causing a big surge in hospital cases.

Though there does seem to be a common enough opinion that once the most vulnerable are vaccinated the disease can be just let spread with no consequence. But I'd wonder if through vaccines we reduce the chances of catching severe covid twentyfold, but through greater spread and prevelance of the disease we increase the opportunities to catch it twentyfold....are we back where we started?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Christ all the 'whos going to lose their jobs', 'how slow are we', 'hse hurhurhur', 'donnellys a clown' is tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Christ all the 'whos going to lose their jobs', 'how slow are we', 'hse hurhurhur', 'donnellys a clown' is tiresome

My favourite is the 'we should be doing our own vaccine deals' brigade :pac:

gctest50 wrote: »
    "Professor Durrant said: "We are getting as good, if not better, antibody levels than other [vaccines], and more, and better T-cell responses.

"But that is in animals and we need to move into humans to see if it performs as well." "

So far my pet lab mouse is over the moon with the news

No good being critical when someone is trying to do something and you are doing nothing yourself.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

No good being critical when someone is trying to do something and you are doing nothing yourself.

I think some are getting edgy that the mutants doom and gloom vaccine failure days are numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Is it really just a situation where the only EU nations to authorise the Sputnik vaccine independently are the somewhat fringe nations? The EU bureaucracy regarding vaccines has already shown itself to be unnecessarily slow and cautious with regards to AZ, why not get some Sputnik separately?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement