Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

Is that being looked at as part of the challenge trials or real-life data?

It will be looked at in real life data, effectively phase 4. Not sure how closely Pfizer themselves will be involved but a few UK universities have studies monitoring what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It will be looked at in real life data, effectively phase 4. Not sure how closely Pfizer themselves will be involved but a few UK universities have studies monitoring what they're doing.

Hopefully it turns out to be fruitful and hope springs eternal.

Hopefully it turns out to be fruitful and hope springs eternal.

It's not a chance I would have taken, and there was a bit of desperation behind it's motivation, but ultimately if it shows the dosing can be stretched out they'll have done us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how long post jab does the j&j take to kick in an immune response?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sunday Independent front page tomorrow says Donnelly's September projection will be met as long as supply arrives as intended. 250,000 vaccinations per week from April with 2.5 million fully vaccinated by end of July and 3.5 million with at least first dose by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Hello all - I’ve noticed in the last couple of days that the general mood of the nation has collapsed. I can understand everyone’s frustration - all I want to say is that despite being quite young, I have an underlying condition that could seriously compromise me should I come down with covid. Most of my friends have nowhere near the same level of risk and since March 2020 it feels like I’ve almost been living outside of time, just waiting for a vaccine to not feel so anxious and paranoid all of the time doing quotidian and mundane activities like going grocery shopping or meeting up with my friends for a socially distanced walk. I know everyone has had to made sacrifices (I’m not trying to disregard them at all) but for those of us with underlying conditions, every interaction comes with some degree of real risk. I know everyone is fed up with the restrictions, and I’ve burned out on them a few times and taken risks I shouldn’t have. I know that this changing of the priority group order disadvantages some and advantages others. For those of us age 25 - 64 with underlying conditions, it’s the best piece of news we have read since March 2020. I am not an emotional man but I have had to wipe back a few tears reading the news today. To think that in a few weeks or a month or so, I can live without the same level of paranoia that has plagued me for so long is a very liberating feeling.

For all of you who don’t fall into those groups, who have no idea how long away a vaccine is for you, who are tired, frustrated and fed up with everything and just want to have a pint with their mates, I appreciate you taking these sacrifices for me and everyone like me, and I’ll remember it when society reopens around late 2021 or early 2022. Please don’t give into despair, you have given all of us a new lease of life. Even if you don’t realise it, by socially distancing for the last year, you’ve probably saved a significant number of us from being infected with a novel corona virus. Please keep going, we are so close to the end of this as a nation.

When I get vaccinated, I’ll be grateful to the pharmacist companies, the EU, the government, and everyone who took sacrifices for others when they didn’t have to for themselves.

irishgeo wrote: »
    how long post jab does the j&j take to kick in an immune response?

The trial was set up to count infections that occur 14 days after vaccination, but it does appear the immune response continues to grow after that and you're looking at 28 days plus to have strong protection, particularly against severe disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Sunday Independent front page tomorrow says Donnelly's September projection will be met as long as supply arrives as intended. 250,000 vaccinations per week from April with 2.5 million fully vaccinated by end of July and 3.5 million with at least first dose by then.

Where did you see that? I’ve been trying to get a page that gives front pages the night before but very hard to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Where did you see that? I’ve been trying to get a page that gives front pages the night before but very hard to get!

Tomorrow's independent

https://twitter.com/AlanEnglish9/status/1363250138194526209?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Classy as usual from the Sindo

• Advertisement

The UK will be open by May Day

BBC Reporting
    The new plans mean that by 15 April, all adults aged 50 and over, as well as younger people with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk, should have been offered a jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Open is such a broad term. The plan isn't even announced yet. There's no way of knowing what their planned easing will entail. Or if it's sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Even the breaking news website have headlines like “explainer: How dangerous is the new Brazilian Covid-19 variant?” reminds me of the magazine supplement on whistles in Fr Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If that figure of 5,500 people flying into the country from 'hotspots' is true, it shows how much of a balls the Gov is making of getting quarantine up and running.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Open is such a broad term. The plan isn't even announced yet. There's no way of knowing what their planned easing will entail. Or if it's sufficient.
    • By Easter, at the start of April, two households will be allowed to meet up outside. That will be followed shortly afterwards by the reopening of non-essential shops and pubs and restaurants for outdoor service only.
    • The hospitality industry is expected to reopen fully in May.
    • Mr Johnson will today meet senior Ministers to sign off the final details with the wider Cabinet rubber-stamping the plan tomorrow morning.
    • The Prime Minister will then present the roadmap to the Commons before addressing the nation in a televised press conference in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The UK will be open by May Day

BBC Reporting

Where does it say they will be open by May Day, and open to what extent?

• By Easter, at the start of April, two households will be allowed to meet up outside. That will be followed shortly afterwards by the reopening of non-essential shops and pubs and restaurants for outdoor service only.
    • The hospitality industry is expected to reopen fully in May.
    • Mr Johnson will today meet senior Ministers to sign off the final details with the wider Cabinet rubber-stamping the plan tomorrow morning.
    • The Prime Minister will then present the roadmap to the Commons before addressing the nation in a televised press conference in the afternoon.

Weird, it's a slower reopening than most of Europe (according to some posters) despite having a lot more vaccinated. So is the UK going super slow or the rest of Europe re-opening too fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

irishgeo wrote: »
    3 weeks after the shot before it kicks in so the govt doesn't want everyone who is vaccinated swanning aroundthe place. Because they can be still infected. That's what happened in Israel.

This is also what was going on in Israel (Jan 31).
    They have a big problem with their religious nutjobs refusing to obey regs.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-55879745

JNfvnGU.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Stheno wrote: »

I hope when we get through this, it won't be forgotten that this is the man in charge of the vaccine rollout. Not Stephen Donnelly, not the Tainiste nor the Taoiseach. They'll try and take credit. But it's Brian MacCraith that'll be the one who deserves the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I hope when we get through this, it won't be forgotten that this is the man in charge of the vaccine rollout. Not Stephen Donnelly, not the Tainiste nor the Taoiseach. They'll try and take credit. But it's Brian MacCraith that'll be the one who deserves the credit.

In fairness they did put a competent guru in charge of the job. That was a critical decision. They get credit for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Water John wrote: »
    In fairness they did put a competent guru in charge of the job. That was a critical decision. They get credit for that.

Literally the least amount of credit possible.

josip wrote: »

JNfvnGU.png

Lol like a colony of bats.

JNfvnGU.png

Could have made a fortune charging a premium for black surgical masks.

JNfvnGU.png

That is actually an iconic picture, one that I am sure will be shared in the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The one thing lacking now with everyone offered a vaccine in Israel is a control group. Like an un-vaccinated group nearby to compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Has there been any discussion around doing the same here? The provisional allocation list does mention doing so if the vaccines are proven to have an impact on transmission (which the Pfizer/BNT one certainly seems to have!)

DjmzKks.png

Fantastic news nonetheless

Has there been any discussion around doing the same here? The provisional allocation list does mention doing so if the vaccines are proven to have an impact on transmission (which the Pfizer/BNT one certainly seems to have!)

DjmzKks.png

Fantastic news nonetheless

I believe the UK are seeing the same results with AZ.

But it's hard to justify vaccinating young and healthy people ahead of more vulnerable people, unless there's concrete evidence that that age group is the source of the majority of the spread into the older age groups and the older age groups. With the severe lack of contact tracing going back more than 48hrs, can they really know?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    The one thing lacking now with everyone offered a vaccine in Israel is a control group. Like an un-vaccinated group nearby to compare to.

It would be interesting if a country volunteered to do just that I.E. vaccinate the younger groups first and see what happens. It probably won't happen in a Phase IV setting because of ethical connundrum when hypothesis hasn't been proved, but if it proved to be a mechanism to suppress virus domestically amongst wider population it would be valuable for other countries vaccination strategy planning.

It would make sense that by vaccinating groups that are more likely to cause widespread transmission, that it would then stop transmission of virus in wider population in its tracks. Maybe challenge trials could study this hypothesis?

In an ever-changing situation it's important for society to adapt accordingly when the science supports the decision.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I believe the UK are seeing the same results with AZ.

But it's hard to justify vaccinating young and healthy people ahead of more vulnerable people, unless there's concrete evidence that that age group is the source of the majority of the spread into the older age groups and the older age groups. With the severe lack of contact tracing going back more than 48hrs, can they really know?

Agreed, it would have to be done in a controlled trial setting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement