Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

But I do think they’re should be some loosening of the 5k and outdoor activities as we head into the spring. They need to give the people something, then they should be honest and say they will follow how country’s ahead of Ireland in vaccinating do when exiting lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

Russman wrote: »
    On another point, the 1m vaccines per month from April - is this including or excluding the potential 600k J&J doses that might arrive ?

The 1m number has been mentioned with some time, so it excludes J&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

But I do think they’re should be some loosening of the 5k and outdoor activities as we head into the spring. They need to give the people something, then they should be honest and say they will follow how country’s ahead of Ireland in vaccinating do when exiting lockdown
    At a minimum I would say, the stranglehold they have over people is ridiculous. Weather is improving (as much as it can do in Ireland), it's not unreasonable to expect a bit more latitude after a long, dark, bleak winter. I would never be advocating for people to actively break guidelines/restrictions, but I think the government need to think long and hard about some relaxations as they could risk loosing any remaining compliance and goodwill of the people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

Mark1916 wrote: »

That data is hugely significant for the future control of COVID - really great news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apogee wrote: »
    The 1m number has been mentioned with some time, so it excludes J&J.
    I think they have said over 1m a month. I believe it's based on current commitments from manufacturers.

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this on the 6.1 news later...oh, wait :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Or an emergency meeting in RTE right now :pac:

We will still have posters ignoring the news on transmission and posting like it was never announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

More likely there’ll be concern over the vaccines efficacy in completely stopping transmission , especially with extremely virulent variants which will leave the world requiring social distancing measures for years to come

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Or an emergency meeting in RTE right now :pac:

We will still have posters ignoring the news and posting like it was never announced.
    I can picture the scenes - "quick, somebody have a look around Twitter and find something about a new variant":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To be fair to RTE. They did report on the study that showed AZ reduced by transmission about 2/3 and they also reported on the one from Israel about reduced transmission. They also reported on the news pfizer may no longer require ultra cold storage.

They're a news outlet though and doomy headlines make for better attention and ad revenue.

I see that Israel are starting to reopen as near 50% of their population is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I see that Israel are starting to reopen as near 50% of their population is vaccinated.

I’m sure we’ll do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

50% is a fantastic achievement for them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If that figure of 5,500 people flying into the country from 'hotspots' is true, it shows how much of a balls the Gov is making of getting quarantine up and running.

Other countries count Ireland as a hotspot

Some positivity for the social and pub merchants, they are thinking ahead for when covid is over:

“Nightclubs look set to be allowed stay open later and Sunday pub opening hours will be extended under a plan by the Minister for Justice to reform the alcohol licensing laws.”

“ The changes will form part of Government's efforts to boost the hospitality sector's recovery when the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions are lifted later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

My elderly mother had an appointment in DCU yesterday for her first vaccination. I think a thousand over 85s were being vaccinated that day. There was something like 140 drs, loads of admin staff, stewards and volunteers so as you can imagine it was extremely busy.

Obviously most people needed a younger family member to accompany them. But there were family groups going in of 3 and 4 adults with only one being registered at the door on the way in.

It meant the corridors and observation area were clogged up with unnecessary people, getting in the way of wheelchairs and rollators and making social distancing very difficult.

I can understand there might be some exceptions where someone might need 2 people with them but even with a very frail person (as my mother is) it only needs one other adult usually to get a wheelchair and push it around.

Surely the rest of the family could stay in the car or wait outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

Anyone hearing of people with underlying health conditions getting the vaccine?

A friend of mine said a relative in their 50s who has a serious health condition got their vaccine and were called by both their gp and hospital to get it. I dont know how frequently they would attend hospital.

My own Grandfather who is in the 85+ category isnt getting his til next week and I have relatives with CF one of whom had a double lung transplant who still have no idea when they will get. While its great to see people getting the vaccine it seems a bit unfair that the order isnt being applied equally. I would fully be for getting those with serious conditions get it before people who have a clean bill of health but it should be across the board and not based on who your GP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently they've been bumped up the priority list so they should start after the over-70s. Probably some time in tandem with over-70s as they can receive the AZ vaccine which the over-70s won't be receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Yeah that would be an obvious thing to do. I guess this is happening right now because the process is new. Give it some time and it should get better... hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Daniel2021 wrote: »
    Anyone hearing of people with underlying health conditions getting the vaccine?

A friend of mine said a relative in their 50s who has a serious health condition got their vaccine and were called by both their gp and hospital to get it. I dont know how frequently they would attend hospital.

That shouldn't be happening. There's talk that people with certain underlying conditions are going to move up to be prioritised after those 70+ are done, which is still weeks away.
    To be honest I find it hard to believe that someone got called by their GP and hospital outside the approved cohorts. Is your friend a healthcare worker by any chance?

It’s gas though no matter how many times this is posted we still get posters posting the same shyte about the variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s gas though no matter how many times this is posted we still get posters posting the same shyte about the variants.

And our politicians and NPHET using them as a stick to beat us with!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

namloc1980 wrote:
    That shouldn't be happening. There's talk that people with certain underlying conditions are going to move up to be prioritised after those 70+ are done, which is still weeks away.
    To be honest I find it hard to believe that someone got called by their GP and hospital outside the approved cohorts. Is your friend a healthcare worker by any chance?

I'm sure there are probably standby lists to avoid wastage if someone fails to show up for their appointment. Maybe they got a standby list call? Other groups will be done at the same time as over-70s btw as we have AZ supplies and the over-70s aren't being vaccinated with AZ.

The media and government are constantly bleating on about variants. It's only natural that that message is being repeated by the general public.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm sure there are probably standby lists to avoid wastage if someone fails to show up for their appointment. Maybe they got a standby list call? Other groups will be done at the same time as over-70s btw as we have AZ supplies and the over-70s aren't being vaccinated with AZ.

I have an underlying condition and my GP told me only last week there is no scope to put me on a standby list as they are very strict about it. If it's happening anyway then that is disappointing to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I have an underlying condition and my GP told me only last week there is no scope to put me on a standby list as they are very strict about it. If it's happening anyway then that is disappointing to hear.

Correct your GP wouldn't have scope to put you on standby list at the moment if they currently fill it with the below.

They've been issued with the standby list guidelines as to who to call if there is spare vaccine, outside if the below they can use their discretion if they can't fulfil the below criteria on a standby list.

I'd imagine the vast majority are sticking to it.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362482208875950080?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement