Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Hopefully. Very grateful obviously that my mother got the vaccination, and with not even a sore arm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That shouldn't be happening. There's talk that people with certain underlying conditions are going to move up to be prioritised after those 70+ are done, which is still weeks away.
    To be honest I find it hard to believe that someone got called by their GP and hospital outside the approved cohorts. Is your friend a healthcare worker by any chance?

No, they dont have anyone working in healthcare. They are a very close friend and I would believe them. It came up when we started talking about older relatives getting appointments for their first dose (all 85+). Their own grandmother hasnt gotten her first dose yet so its not a case that they have a family contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Correct your GP wouldn't have scope to put you on standby list at the moment.

They've been issued with the standby list guidelines as to who to call if there is spare vaccine

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362482208875950080?s=19

But apparently someone on this thread claims their friend with underlying condition in their 50s got called to come in for a vaccine by a GP a few days in advance. Either a GP somewhere has gone rogue or its not true.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm sure there are probably standby lists to avoid wastage if someone fails to show up for their appointment. Maybe they got a standby list call? Other groups will be done at the same time as over-70s btw as we have AZ supplies and the over-70s aren't being vaccinated with AZ.

I would understand if it was to avoid wasteage but they got an appointment to call in a few days in advance. I am glad to see people get it but it does seem unfair when there are countless people with underlying conditions who are having to wait.

But apparently someone on this thread claims their friend with underlying condition in their 50s got called to come in for a vaccine by a GP a few days in advance. Either a GP somewhere has gone rogue or its not true.

It was a friend's Uncle in his 50s that got it. He does have a serious conditon. I dont want to give details on the condition just in case someone may put 2 and 2 together as they only told me a few days ago. The person is one of my closest friends and not the sort to make stuff up so I do believe them.

• Advertisement

Daniel2021 wrote: »
    It was a friend's Uncle in his 50s that got it. He does have a serious conditon. I dont want to give details on the condition just in case someone may put 2 and 2 together as they only told me a few days ago. The person is one of my closest friends and not the sort to make stuff up so I do believe them.

Is it possible the uncle knows the GP and got bumped up the list outside the agreed process?

Is it possible the uncle knows the GP and got bumped up the list outside the agreed process?

I do think that is likely but I dont know. I didnt want to ask to many questions as it would become obvious that I didnt agree that he had jumped the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

The media and government are constantly bleating on about variants. It's only natural that that message is being repeated by the general public.

The Venn Diagram of Irish people scared sh*tless that vaccines don't work on variants and watch and trust too much RTE current affairs shows is a circle.

Doesn't help that the government blames the variants at every opportunity to explain how we are heading into essentially month 5 of Level 5 with short break

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“Nolan ‘predicts’’ outdoor summer with domestic holidays”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Micky 32 wrote: »

I posted in the other thread Nolan needs to stop talking and kite flying, he advises government that’s all! The likes of the TWIP having him on is a joke in all fairness he’s not a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Micky 32 wrote: »

If the 90% reduction in transmission rates from the pfizer vaccine is true then surely this summer will at the very least be similar to summer 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

If the 90% reduction in transmission rates from the pfizer vaccine is true then surely this summer will at the very least be similar to summer 2020?

Not if nphet and fianna fail have anything to do with about it!

You would think so but they are definitely softening us up for summer lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Professor of Evolution and Genomics at Oxford.

https://twitter.com/ArisKatzourakis/status/1363216662066049027

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

hmmm wrote: »
    Professor of Evolution and Genomics at Oxford.

https://twitter.com/ArisKatzourakis/status/1363216662066049027

So, does this lend weight to the "open up as we vaccinate" opinion or the "lockdown until we vaccinate" opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

You'd have to think it will be much better than that. If they are this good, it will quickly become evident from the infection rates that there will be no argument for serious restrictions remaining in place within the border once the majority of eligible people are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So, does this lend weight to the "open up as we vaccinate" opinion or the "lockdown until we vaccinate" opinion.....
    I think the argument is maximum suppression if it increases the chances of elimination, so the latter.

Personally I think it's all a bit theoretical, most countries will live with Covid if it's no worse than the flu every year. That still means a lot of deaths, but the trade-off of long-term lockdowns is economically too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

hmmm wrote: »
    I think the argument is maximum suppression if it increases the chances of elimination, so the latter.

Personally I think it's all a bit theoretical, most countries will live with Covid if it's no worse than the flu every year. That still means a lot of deaths, but the trade-off of long-term lockdowns is economically too much.

Do you believe this will be our last lockdown? I would hope so given emerging effectiveness of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Do you believe this will be our last lockdown? I would hope so given emerging effectiveness of the vaccines.

Yes thats why we need to hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,261 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Sounds like great news comming from Israel...

But amidst all of that good news I just heard the main news on the radio (Today FM) its being reported that prof Sam McConkey says it's highly likely that the new Brazilian variant of covid will be able to evade vaccines.

Now I don't have much time for much of what he's s said so far, and i'm sure many here don't either but surely this guy isnt pulling this stuff out from his arse? Where is he getting his information from?

Sounds like great news comming from Israel...

But amidst all of that good news I just heard the main news on the radio (Today FM) its being reported that prof Sam McConkey says it's highly likely that the new Brazilian variant of covid will be able to evade vaccines.

Now I don't have much time for much of what he's s said so far, and i'm sure many here don't either but surely this guy isnt pulling this stuff out from his arse? Where is he getting his information from?

He’s pulling it out of his ass. A complete lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What did i say a few posts back :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Making an incorrect statement is one thing. Making a deliberately deceitful one is another.

Presumably you can provide context that shows:
    I) His statement was demonstrably false.
    II) He was aware of the false nature of his claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Well if he is, we still have media reporting on the things he is saying as fact, imagine what this kind of stuff is doing to people who may have been hesitant or not sure on the vaccine before this...

Very depressing stuff to hear on the news, and not one thing about whats comming out from Israel at the moment.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Making an incorrect statement is one thing. Making a deliberately deceitful one is another.

Presumably you can provide context that shows:
    I) His statement was demonstrably false.
    II) He was aware of the false nature of his claim.
    I don't need to prove anything to you. You know very well that it likely has no impact on vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

With the data from Israel how on earth can we stay in a lockdown when over 60s are vaccinated

It makes no sense to my layman eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

With the data from Israel how on earth can we stay in a lockdown when over 60s are vaccinated

It makes no sense to my layman eyes

People under 60 still get very sick with covid, they are not immune. A year into this pandemic and people still think it's just a old person illness.
    Half of the people hospitalised and in ICU are under 65.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    People under 60 still get very sick with covid, they are not immune. A year into this pandemic and people still think it's just a old person illness.
    Half of the people hospitalised and in ICU are under 65.
    A large percentage of them likely belong to group 7 which is being accelerated so the point still stands

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement