Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭dan786

Congrats. Let us know what side effects are like!

So far just a dull ache in whole arm inc hand and a headache. Did get the chills an hour after it but they disappeared after 2 hours. I went during work so was still able to do another 5 hours and finish my shift after getting it despite the above and in work again early tomorrow. Should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Dismissing anything you don't like or agree with as "misery merchants" is just as foolish as jumping to conclusions about reduced vaccine efficacy against variants.

It’s good you recognise that fact ;) this is what my point was mainly about.

dan786 wrote: »
    Got the first dose of AstraZeneca today. Was told that the second can be anywhere between 6-12 weeks.

My partners sister got her first jab today ( works in a hospital), no side effects yet.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s good you recognise that fact ;)

Of course I recognise that fact. Doesn't mean I'm not worried about efficacy against variants though, and it's unfair of you to dismiss what is a legitimate worry as "lockdown foreva" or being a "misery merchant".

I won't jump to a conclusion as there isn't enough evidence either way.

Of course I recognise that fact. Doesn't mean I'm not worried about efficacy against variants though, and it's unfair of you to dismiss what is a legitimate worry as "lockdown foreva" or being a "misery merchant".

I won't jump to a conclusion as there isn't enough evidence either way.

Like i posted earlier it was aimed at a selective few and not directed at you because you have genuine concerns about the variants.

• Advertisement

Like i posted earlier it was aimed at a selective few and not directed at you because you have genuine concerns about the variants.

Fair enough, but this thread should imo be about genuine discussion around vaccines. When people start throwing around the phrases you used there is a tendency for the discussion to be drowned in the us and them noise evident on other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fair enough, but this thread should imo be about genuine discussion around vaccines. When people start throwing around the phrases you used there is a tendency for the discussion to be drowned in the us and them noise evident on other threads.
    This thread will never ever have genuine discussion when it is derailed everyday by people who haven't read a scientific paper in their lives trying to say variants will end the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Apparently report by Bloomberg and FT about reduction of transmission by 89.4% in Israel due to vaccinations is sketchy. '

https://twitter.com/ZoeMcLaren/status/1363582050775744515?s=20\

More studies needed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Apparently report by Bloomberg and FT about reduction of transmission by 89.4% in Israel due to vaccinations is sketchy. '

https://twitter.com/ZoeMcLaren/status/1363582050775744515?s=20\

More studies needed.

Needs to be given time

The whole world is avidly watching Israel which is like a phase 3 trial in real time

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

dan786 wrote: »
    Got the first dose of AstraZeneca today. Was told that the second can be anywhere between 6-12 weeks.

I was told that my 2nd dose would be in 10 weeks time and that I will receive a text for an appointment on week 9
    ( I got my first dose at the beginning of this week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

And unlike Tomas Ryan she does have expertise in this field https://www.tcd.ie/Microbiology/research/kim-roberts/

Ah but she won’t get the airtime..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yup.
    100% effective against hospitalisation and death in an extremely limited South African trial.

"The newspaper said none of the more than 2,000 trial participants had been hospitalised or died."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/astrazeneca-vaccine-less-effective-against-south-african-variant-study-1.4478264

You really should be ashamed of your self. You could have just been honest and said we are awaiting further information on that. What proportion of healthy 30 year olds do you thinkdie of covid.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Ah but she won’t get the airtime..

Except that the link was to a tweet from the RTE this week programme where they got exactly that, airtime.

Except that the link was to a tweet from the RTE this week programme where they got exactly that, airtime.

How many times has she been on?
    All I ever see is Staines, Ryan and McConkey and Aoife Mclyasght. All proponents of zero covid. Killeen seems to have been put away into the scarp heap

You really should be ashamed of your self. You could have just been honest and said we are awaiting further information on that. What proportion of healthy 30 year olds do you thinkdie of covid.

This canard is used frequently. It wasn’t a study of 30 year olds. The median age was 31. You do understand what that means don’t you? The median age in South Africa is 27.6, so actually represented a slightly older population group

All I ever see is Staines, Ryan and McConkey and Aoife Mclyasght. All proponents of zero covid. Killeen seems to have been put away into the scarp heap

To be honest i never heard of her until that link was posted. Funnily enough i’ve heard of the other morons mentioned in your post

Why can’t you just be happy there is a new voice. Luke O’Neill has been incredibly positive on the vaccine also and his appearances probably outnumber your list by 2 to 1 on his own

Why can’t you just be happy there is a new voice. Luke O’Neill has been incredibly positive on the vaccine also and his appearances probably outnumber your list by 2 to 1 on his own

Am if you go through the thread I’m extremely happy about how the vaccines are working. You’re right, Great to hear a new voice. It’s infuriating to hear that group’s rhetoric especially once you’ve seen the positives totally outweigh the negative and they keep pushing the negative on us!
    The zero covid group have only themselves and they know they’ll be become irrelevant soon, you had Staines wanting us to be like Laos a few days ago! He’s not okay at all at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Killeen made the mistake of showing a bit of positivity back in November/December, he was then swiftly blackballed by RTE et al.

• Advertisement

This thread by David Higgins, this is why these zero covid lot should never ever be aloud any airtime!!

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363565216106225671?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This thread by David Higgins, this is why these zero covid lot should never ever be aloud any airtime!!

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1363565216106225671?s=21

An economist vs a health professional.
    Surely we can see the vested interest here?

And those others who bring up the variants, don't have genuine concerns?

I have to love this pandemic. Not only have we a new cohort of experts in the field of virology and public health medicine, but we have also learned how to read minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When would we be at the 'people with underlying conditions' category 5, sometime in April or sooner, just curious.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Are they going to fully vaccinate the over 85+ with two doses first before moving onto the 80-85 group?

markodaly wrote: »
    And those others who bring up the variants, don't have genuine concerns?

I have to love this pandemic. Not only have we a new cohort of experts in the field of virology and public health medicine, but we have also learned how to read minds!

Back tonight i see with your bolloxogy posting. I guess you missed my posts where my posts were directed at a certain minority cohort and not towards people who have genuine concerns. Whatever suits your narrative eh?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

An economist vs a health professional.
    Surely we can see the vested interest here?
    Yes, he does have an agenda, but these dissenting voices need to be heard too. The medics, left unchecked, will only consider public health and nothing more - probably resulting in indefinite restrictions as there will always be some threat from existing and future viruses. In reality, we know that we need to be more pragmatic and look at things holistically. Eventually the threat of the virus will be reduced to the point where economics will supersede public health, and the justification for restrictions will be minimal

Back tonight i see with your bolloxogy posting. I guess you missed my posts where my posts were directed at a certain minority cohort and not towards people who have genuine concerns. Whatever suits your narrative eh?:rolleyes:

And you know of course who is genuine and who is not, because you can read minds, or something?

And you know of course who is genuine and who is not, because you can read minds, or something?

No, i go by posting history from being on this forum and threads for quite a while. You can learn quite a lot.

Interestingly you seem quite defensive toward my posts on the matter. It actually doesn’t surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Are they going to fully vaccinate the over 85+ with two doses first before moving onto the 80-85 group?

I don't believe so, they're second dosing care homes while first dosing 85+. So can't see it being any different going down the list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement