Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I don't think any rational person could fault the roll out so far apart from the first week when vaccines arrived. I think the Government and HSE were stunned by the criticism then when they planned to sit on the vaccines for 2 weeks and it jolted them to get started over a week before they planned to and they haven't looked back then. I actually found the funniest thing was there was actually none or very little criticism initially from journalists until there was criticism from the general public first. Doing the journalists jobs for them :pac:

Since then they've administered almost as quickly as they've received them. The problem is the supply which is an EU issue, not an Irish government issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

We pretty much will too. At least for first doses.

We'll have distributed well over 4 million doses by then. Some will be J&J which is one dose, alot will be AZ which has a 12 week dose interval ( anyone dosed after mid April won't need a second dose in Q2) and even Pfizer & Moderna will have those with a first dose in June having a second dose after the end of Q2.

By the end of June we're looking at 60-80% of the adult population with at least 1 dose I'd say.

But the UK are only aiming for the end of July
    They are at ~27% 1st dose vaccinated at the moment compared to our and Denmark's ~6%
    Are the UK expecting supply constraints or is end of June unrealistic for Denmark and us?
    Based on projected supply I only see us finishing Group 12 (key workers) by the end of June and still to start on the 1.5m 18-54 year old cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

josip wrote: »
    They are at 33% 1st dose vaccinated at the moment compared to our and Denmark's 5?%
    Are the UK expecting supply constraints or is end of June unrealistic for Denmark and us?
    Based on projected supply I only see us finishing Group 12 (key workers) by the end of June and still to start on the 1.5m 18-54 year old cohort.

First dose by end of July is still 10 million a month. Plus isn't there fears that there could be a very slow uptake among the BAME community, can't see an out of the box % comparable to nursing homes and 85+.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

josip wrote: »
    They are at ~27% 1st dose vaccinated at the moment compared to our and Denmark's ~6%
    J&J can take a big bite out of that and we may also have Curevac if the data is good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Juran wrote: »

People living in overcrowded conditions already are priorititised in the rollout.

I see no need to have a further subdivision based on membership of the travelling community (particularly when there's no evidence to suggest they're more at risk of serious illness - unlike certain races and ethnicities).

Amirani wrote: »
    People living in overcrowded conditions already are priorititised in the rollout.

I see no need to have a further subdivision based on membership of the travelling community (particularly when there's no evidence to suggest they're more at risk of serious illness - unlike certain races and ethnicities).
    Well, NPHET did report on certain groups in the early days who were more at risk, mainly travellers and Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interesting news on the SA variant. Someone give the news to RTE and Sam McConkey quick

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1363551912021221377

I wonder if the B117 Kent variant was a blessing in disguise, in a sense. It SEEMS (just me talking) that B117 outcompetes the SA variant, and therefore "wins", with SA disappearing. Otherwise, why isn't the SA variant absolutely everywhere, with huge percentages of the numbers.

Perhaps without B117 being dominant, SA might have dominated, and then things might be worse than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I wonder if the B117 Kent variant was a blessing in disguise, in a sense. It SEEMS (just me talking) that B117 outcompetes the SA variant, and therefore "wins", with SA disappearing. Otherwise, why isn't the SA variant absolutely everywhere, with huge percentages of the numbers.

Perhaps without B117 being dominant, SA might have dominated, and then things might be worse than they are.

Only if it’s causing immunity to the SA varient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

That may indeed be the case. It was reported yesterday that the South African and Brazilian variants are declining in the UK.

The number of cases of South African and Brazilian variants of Covid-19 in the UK appears to be falling, the British health secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday.

Hancock said there was evidence that enhanced contact-tracing and stricter border measures were helping to control the number of people being infected by those new variants first discovered abroad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/feb/21/coronavirus-live-news-australia-begins-vaccine-rollout-israel-says-pfizer-jab-96-effective?page=with:block-60323c668f08c3cb92a5dd6a#block-60323c668f08c3cb92a5dd6a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The most infectious variant becomes the dominant, not the one that causes the severest illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Juran wrote: »

Nobody should be going on holiday at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

VG31 wrote: »
    That may indeed be the case. It was reported yesterday that the South African and Brazilian variants are declining in the UK.

The number of cases of South African and Brazilian variants of Covid-19 in the UK appears to be falling, the British health secretary Matt Hancock said on Sunday.

Hancock said there was evidence that enhanced contact-tracing and stricter border measures were helping to control the number of people being infected by those new variants first discovered abroad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/feb/21/coronavirus-live-news-australia-begins-vaccine-rollout-israel-says-pfizer-jab-96-effective?page=with:block-60323c668f08c3cb92a5dd6a#block-60323c668f08c3cb92a5dd6a

Would variants the vacines are less effective on (note how I say less effective not evade) eventually become the dominant strains though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭celt262

lbj666 wrote: »
    Would variants the vacines are less effective on (note how I say less effective not evade) eventually become the dominant strains though?

That's why we have to be very careful not to open up to quick in case something we cannot predict happens.

Water John wrote: »
    The most infectious variant becomes the dominant, not the one that causes the severest illness.

Not quite. It's the one that has the highest fitness advantage that will become dominant. That advantage can come from any number or combination of things such as transmittability, seasonal effects, circumstance, level of immunity in the population, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Multiple posts deleted as off topic - doublejobbing2 - if you want to discuss the pubs, or the waves of infection - or anything NOT related to the vaccine - go and do it in the appropriate threads.

If you drag this thread off topic again you will be threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This was sent to all GPs and pharmacists today, got it from a college lecturer. Thought it might be interesting.

kCx3jO1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, rightly or wrongly some countries have refused to give clearance for Astra zeneca.

There is a possibility when it comes to vaccine passports that people with AZ will have a limited amount of countries they can travel to.
    Are some business going to have a standard of vaccine requirement for service?
    If there are people vaccinated at 91% efficiency are they going to allow lower levels.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, one of the Chinese vaccines efficacy is tracking close to the AZ efficacy and symptoms. They are proven to reduce severe illness in < 70 and look like they have a good effect on transmission, then both should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Public health England have released the below

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1363876304446251012?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Key point on Pfizer vaccine from above on importance of second dose:

Vaccine effectiveness in over 80 year olds, estimated as 1-odds ratio, was 57% (95% CIs 48-63%) from 28days after the first dose of vaccination (table 1). Protection after the second dose rises to 88% after 7 days(95% CIs 84-90%), although the group eligible for both doses is not likely to be representative of all over 80s-for example this would not include any care home residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

They just can't get out of the captivity of negativity..(Ryan, Mckonkey, Staines).

‘New variant more infectious among children’ – Trinity professor says schools only safe when community is

https://www.independent.ie/news/new-variant-more-infectious-among-children-trinity-professor-says-schools-only-safe-when-community-is-40117845.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Denmark plan to have their entire population vaccinated by end of June.

They have about 1 million more people than us and are also an EU country. Irish government plan to have us done by September, apparently. I just don't understand this. Shockingly slow role out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

statesaver wrote: »

They have about 1 million more people than us and are also an EU country. Irish government plan to have us done by September, apparently. I just don't understand this. Shockingly slow role out here.

Not another one *facepalm*

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Tough times for all out there but this thread is undoubtedly the one that keeps me sane (for the most part) with some really good positive posting.

As for the vaccine rollout, it is frustrating but I think it would be unfair to give too much blame to the Irish Government, we are with the EU and whilst some think that is a bad thing if it was a free for all Ireland would be vaccinated in about 2024.

That said as a Brit I can't help but feel a bit of envy when I see them flying ahead, my mum, sister, grandparents, couple of best friends all have their vaccines (health workers and elderly) and some of my other mates who are mid 30's reckon they will have theirs in May, time will tell on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Boris Johnson:

“All restrictions could be lifted by June 21st in the UK!”

“”From 21 June at the earliest, all remaining restrictions on social contact could be lifted, larger events can go ahead and nightclubs could finally reopen.””

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson:

“All restrictions could be lifted by June 21st in the UK!”

“”From 21 June at the earliest, all remaining restrictions on social contact could be lifted, larger events can go ahead and nightclubs could finally reopen.””

I know it's in the UK not Ireland and Boris's announcements have to be taken with a pinch of salt.....but it's cheered me up no end! Our government will have to follow suit eventually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They have about 1 million more people than us and are also an EU country. Irish government plan to have us done by September,
    apparently. I just don't understand this. Shockingly slow role out here.

Apparently so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Amirani wrote: »
    Apparently so.

I'm very happy to be wrong ( looks like I am ) on this and talking out my ass. Just frustrated (like everyone else ).

Need to get back to work ... never thought I'd be saying that

Yes they do, by including two vaccines that haven't even been approved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No
    Prof MacCraith explained that by last Monday evening, 94% of all available vaccines had been administered, rising to 99% on Tuesday and all were given out by Wednesday, with more supply arriving in on Wednesday night.

"It's working that close to the edge," he said, "rest assured it's moving as fast as we can".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement