Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That said as a Brit I can't help but feel a bit of envy when I see them flying ahead, my mum, sister, grandparents, couple of best friends all have their vaccines (health workers and elderly) and some of my other mates who are mid 30's reckon they will have theirs in May, time will tell on that!
    I don't think we'll be too far behind. 6 weeks maybe, possibly even less. They've got a head start at a time when supply is slowly increasing, but once we hit a million doses a month (and probably more), and particularly once the J&J vaccine starts arriving the vaccinations are going to fly along. Anyone who wants a vaccine should be able to grab a spot ahead of those hmming and hawing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes they do, by including two vaccines that haven't even been approved!

Are we counting J&J in our million a month number?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

When a group comes out and says they need or should be moved up the list for whatever reason it is. Are they ever asked who moves down the list to bump them in or do they just magically get them without effecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Are we counting J&J in our million a month number?
    Don't think so initially but it's probably part of the arithmetic from May onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Long time lurker, first time poster.

That said as a Brit I can't help but feel a bit of envy when I see them flying ahead, my mum, sister, grandparents, couple of best friends all have their vaccines (health workers and elderly) and some of my other mates who are mid 30's reckon they will have theirs in May, time will tell on that!

The other way around in my family is worse - elderly parents still waiting here, whilst their children, and possibly grandchildren get vaccinated first over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Just heard Gerry Killeen on The Last Word stating vaccines are not effective against variants. No valid proof except rumblings about Manaus. How can they come on and state this unchallenged when no sufficient evidence to back that opinion and manufacturers stating the opposite. I was in shock at into be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Just heard Gerry Killeen on The Last Word stating vaccines are not effective against variants. No valid proof except rumblings about Manaus. How can they come on and state this unchallenged when no sufficient evidence to back that opinion and manufacturers stating the opposite. I was in shock at into be honest.

I heard someone say something similar on Radio 1 (I think) over the weekend. It strikes me as utterly irresponsible and flies in the face of the reports coming out elsewhere. The anti-vax crowd are bad enough without Killeen sticking in his two cents that flies in the face of science for the sake of banging his zero covid drum. What was worse was the complete lack of correction or challenge by either Cooper or Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I heard someone say something similar on Radio 1 (I think) over the weekend. It strikes me as utterly irresponsible and flies in the face of the reports coming out elsewhere. The anti-vax crowd are bad enough without Killeen sticking in his two cents that flies in the face of science for the sake of banging his zero covid drum. What was worse was the complete lack of correction or challenge by either Cooper or Nolan

FFS!!! That WUM and troll is back!! I fecking jinxed myself

We'll all be rushing back to get the Oxford vaccine :)

I wonder are South Africa still offloading theirs?

I'm finding the Public Health England figures less impressive than the Scottish figures on a first read (e.g. hospitalisations in over 80s four weeks after vaccine). What am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Cork2021 wrote: »
    FFS!!! That WUM and troll is back!! I fecking jinxed myself

I know, I thought for a moment it was some random eejit as I had just got in the door, but no. He has reappeared after a welcome absense.

That statement about vaccines annoys me no end though. My partner is a molecular biologist who works with mRNA (and she was fuming). During the scandal with Wakefield in the 90's her parents fell into that trap as they had an autistic son and didn't trust them for the youngest after that. It's incredibly dangerous to be so dismissive of these things and should be challenged for proof whenever mentioned, especially when spouted by some of these academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Azatadine wrote: »
    They just can't get out of the captivity of negativity..(Ryan, Mckonkey, Staines).

‘New variant more infectious among children’ – Trinity professor says schools only safe when community is

https://www.independent.ie/news/new-variant-more-infectious-among-children-trinity-professor-says-schools-only-safe-when-community-is-40117845.html

He's right about this though ...

" We need more face mask wearing, we need much more advice on ventilation...there are many things the Department of Education could be doing to make schools safer than they are and I think that should be a priority on that aspect of the plan,” he said."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

hmmm wrote: »

I'm finding the Public Health England figures less impressive than the Scottish figures on a first read (e.g. hospitalisations in over 80s four weeks after vaccine). What am I missing?

Need that 2nd dose earlier ?

This is the UK healthcare worker pre-print
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3790399

"A single dose of BNT162b2 vaccine demonstrated vaccine effectiveness of 72% (95% CI 58-86) 21 days after first dose and 86% (95% CI 76-
    97) seven days after two doses in the antibody negative cohort."

"this cohort was vaccinated when the dominant variant in circulation was B1.1.7"

It's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Apogee

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/call-for-spread-of-pfizer-vaccine-doses-as-study-shows-high-protection-of-one-shot-1.4491808
    Ireland needs to rethink its Covid-19 immunisation strategy given new findings in relation to the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine which would allow more people get their first dose sooner, according to an immunologist at University College Cork. Dr Elizabeth Brint of UCC’s Deparment of Pathology said she believed it could be time to consider spreading out the time between administering the first and second dose of the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine, thus allowing more people to receive their first shot sooner.

“Recent data published in the medical journal The Lancet on Friday indicates that the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine confers much higher protection than previously thought. In addition, emerging evidence shows that vaccination is indeed reducing transmission,” she said.

If the mRNA vaccines are really reducing transmission, it does arguably strengthen the case for giving as much of the population a first dose as soon as possible, especially those under 65/70 with stronger innate immune systems.

As younger people are more likely to be carriers, vaccinating them potentially has a knock-on benefit for the older or unprotected groups i.e. you squeeze out the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is there a new revised timeline for vaccinations, I phoned my GP today to find out when people with underlying conditions will be getting vaccinated. I'm 56 so I'm wondering as the news on Friday stated that category 7 was being changed to 5. How long are we talking here, about a month, month and a half?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Apogee wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/call-for-spread-of-pfizer-vaccine-doses-as-study-shows-high-protection-of-one-shot-1.4491808

If the mRNA vaccines are really reducing transmission, it does arguably strengthen the case for giving as much of the population a first dose as soon as possible, especially those under 65/70 with stronger innate immune systems.

As younger people are more likely to be carriers, vaccinating them potentially has a knock-on benefit for the older or unprotected groups i.e. you squeeze out the virus.

That's not going to happen unless Pfizer and Moderna come out and update their administering guidelines, which will only happen after they have done a study and have a high confidence in the data. Israel is sticking to a 2 dose regimen and that is where Pfizer have been doing most of the field studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Is there anything conclusive on Manaus? I've heard ot mentioned a few times that the herd immunity claim was deeply flawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

snotboogie wrote: »
    Is there anything conclusive on Manaus? I've heard ot mentioned a few times that the herd immunity claim was deeply flawed?

Exactly so it shouldn't be referenced...hence why I was shocked to hear him categorically state vaccines won't work against variants and used Manaus as his only reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Any leaks on tomorrow's plan?

• Advertisement

Is there a new revised timeline for vaccinations, I phoned my GP today to find out when people with underlying conditions will be getting vaccinated. I'm 56 so I'm wondering as the news on Friday stated that category 7 was being changed to 5. How long are we talking here, about a month, month and a half?
    See what comes out tomorrow with the new plan. There's bound to be a live podium session on it all. Timewise 4-6 weeks sounds about right as some of Group 4 have already been done. There will be an online portal at some point but I don't know when that will kick in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Focusing on schools for march construction for april -meeting in april to discuss the rest

Same as the old plan with a few bits moved around!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It wasn`t just flawed.
    A few days after the research paper was published Manaus went back into lockdown due to rising numbers.
    One of the researchers made a comment, (in an Economist article far as I recall on their herd immunity theory being wrong), the main reason for that was they didn`t expect a second wave. Thought that a bit of a flakey excuse myself

Good thread on it here.

https://twitter.com/WesPegden/status/1349924698885410818?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

eoinbn wrote: »
    Armchair analysis - As odd as it sounds those finds could justify our strategy to give the most at risk the double dose and to stick with mRNA for the 70+. Pfizer was approved first so it was given to the most at risk which is probably why it appears to be less successful at reducing hospitalisation.

It was not a strategy.

It was dealing with the bollox of a job that the EU made of the vaccine program. As Guy Verhofstadt, probably the most fervent EU supporter alive said, it's been a "Fiasco".

Dealing with the reality on the ground rather than a strategy.

I'm half wondering if the Glasgow effect (lower life expectancy) has somehow skewed the Scottish data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This is the UK healthcare worker pre-print
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3790399

"A single dose of BNT162b2 vaccine demonstrated vaccine effectiveness of 72% (95% CI 58-86) 21 days after first dose and 86% (95% CI 76-
    97) seven days after two doses in the antibody negative cohort."

"this cohort was vaccinated when the dominant variant in circulation was B1.1.7"

It's great news.

I honestly think this is some of the best news we've had. The UK's reopening plan is clearly based off the back of it. It's very positive for everyone in the world.

We need to start doing the single dose IMHO. Cost benefit analysis wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

UK preparing for Covid-19 revaccination programme this year

Britain is preparing for a revaccination programme against Covid-19, likely to run later this year and consist of a single booster dose, the government said in its road map to end coronavirus restrictions.

The government is planning for a revaccination campaign, which is likely to run later this year in autumn or winter," the document said.

Any revaccination is likely to consist of a single 'booster' dose of a Covid-19 vaccine: the ideal booster may be a new vaccine specifically designed against a variant form of the virus."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I honestly think this is some of the best news we've had. The UK's reopening plan is clearly based off the back of it. It's very positive for everyone in the world.

We need to start doing the single dose IMHO. Cost benefit analysis wise.
    I'd like to see efficacy after the 42 day threshold that the trials followed. I'm not sure if the UK are collecting data on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement