Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'd like to see efficacy after the 42 day threshold that the trials followed. I'm not sure if the UK are collecting data on that?

They can't as nearly everyone has had only one dose

I'd look at the data from Isreal for that kind of results.

afatbollix wrote: »
    They can't as nearly everyone has had only one dose

That's exactly the reason why they can do that, not many have been given a second dose so they will be able to test efficacy of single dose up to 12 weeks. They are monitoring it and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Just heard Gerry Killeen on The Last Word stating vaccines are not effective against variants. No valid proof except rumblings about Manaus. How can they come on and state this unchallenged when no sufficient evidence to back that opinion and manufacturers stating the opposite. I was in shock at into be honest.

I am the opposite of surprised to see the first post in his twitter feed @'s the zero covid lunatics at 'Independent Scientific Advocacy Group'. The home of complete doom mongering in order to scare the public into believing either their way or all hope is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Given the results from the UK should we be clearing AZ for use on our over 65s?

Not approving it at first may well have reduced confidence in taking it within that age group

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My 83 year old grandparents are getting it on March 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gael23 wrote: »
    My 83 year old grandparents are getting it on March 2nd
    Thats fantastic to hear under 85s beginning to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AdamD wrote: »

Not approving it at first may well have reduced confidence in taking it within that age group

Don't think there's enough data yet to fully support this swing. NIAC will undoubtedly review their assessment as more and more data pours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,307 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AdamD wrote:
    I was all AZ for a long time, stupid me.
    I'm now against it, it being a traditional style vaccine.
    Fact is we are still learning about this virus and we don't know enough yet so injecting even a tiny dose into people is a bad idea imo.
    The mRNA vaccines are much safer for now.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Fact is we are still learning about this virus and we don't know enough yet so injecting even a tiny dose into people is a bad idea imo.

This makes absolutely no sense. Are you saying if you were offered the AZ vaccine you'd refuse it now?

Not sure what you mean by injecting people is a bad either.:confused:Anyone taking AZ is a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It's a benign part of the virus to stimulate an immune response that is very very certain, your concern is totally unfounded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That is just not how the AZ vaccine works. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I don't think you will get a choice. Given a choice seems to have seriously hampered the EUs vaccination programme in Germany and France. Hundreds of thousands of doses of Astra Zeneca go unused in both countries.
    Besides we have already used 10s of thousands of AZ on our frontline healthcare workers with a plan to start using it on medically vulnerable adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You were wrong but now you are right but we don't know enough yet. Thanks, we would be lost without sages like you on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Results from 14 million US vaccinations show no serious adverse events caused by the vaccines:
    https://consumer.healthday.com/b-2-19-approved-u-s-covid-vaccines-are-safe-new-review-confirms-2650623525.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Could this be because because the Pfizer has been given to an older population group?

I have googled a bit and I can’t find any reference to the age breakdown of the vaccines administered in the study group.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

AdamD wrote: »

My understanding of AZ was that it was not recommended for over 70s, and
    the 65 to 69 age group were getting AZ.
    Am i incorrect.

Maybe you want to read up on how the vaccine actually works

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is the tweet that matters, if they can release the data behind it (and what highly effective means), it may allow us to use AZ on >70 and boost public confidence in AZ:
    https://twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1363900849299353607

astrofool wrote: »
    This is the tweet that matters, if they can release the data behind it (and what highly effective means), it may allow us to use AZ on >70 and boost public confidence in AZ:
    https://twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1363900849299353607

NewScientist's report on the story kinddd of touched on that second tweet.
    Among people over 80, who are most at risk from covid-19, hospitalisation was reduced by 81 per cent when results from both vaccines were combined. There isn’t enough data yet to separate out the effects of the two different vaccines in this age group.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2268769-first-real-world-covid-19-vaccine-studies-show-spectacular-results/#ixzz6nFKsolxl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Turtwig wrote: »
    NewScientist's report on the story kinddd of touched on that second tweet.

Well that's a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

How will the vulnerable under 65 be registered? Do they get theirs through the GP or pharmacy or?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Turtwig wrote: »
    This makes absolutely no sense. Are you saying if you were offered the AZ vaccine you'd refuse it now?

Not sure what you mean by injecting people is a bad either.:confused:Anyone taking AZ is a bad idea?

I wouldn’t take any notice, one of the worst posters on here over the last year... along with de frog and the fairy. Some caveat emperor or something like that is an honorable mention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting FT article on how CureVac "hopes to come out on top" here (paywall).

- German government, GlaxoSmithKline and Bill Gates have invested in CureVac.
    - US government / Trump admin allegedly attempted to buy CureVac.
    - CureVac’s candidate is able to survive in standard fridge temperatures for at least three months.
    - At 12 micrograms per dose, it requires the smallest amount of active ingredient among the mRNA vaccines, enabling more efficient distribution.
    - Two weeks ago, CureVac began submitting approval data to the EMA.
    - Manufacturing deals with Germany’s Wacker Chemie and Rentschler as well as with France’s Fareva.
    - First batch of doses secured by the EU.
    - Initial readout from large-scale phase 3 trials is expected in March.

Not clear when CureVac expect EMA approval but the article says "multiple key regulators" are expected to approve by mid year. So I guess EMA approval will be sometime in the April-June timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Germany are considering vaccine certificates. Israel already issue "green passports" ...

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1364139580102959104

Sanofi to produce 12 million doses a month of the J&J vaccine.
    https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/after-pfizer-deal-sanofi-offers-a-hand-to-johnson-johnson-for-covid-19-vaccine-production

It's not clear to me whether this is a new 12 million, or support with existing production. I think it's new capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

hmmm wrote: »
    Sanofi to produce 12 million doses a month of the J&J vaccine.
    https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/after-pfizer-deal-sanofi-offers-a-hand-to-johnson-johnson-for-covid-19-vaccine-production

It's not clear to me whether this is a new 12 million, or support with existing production. I think it's new capacity.

That’s great news!! So in total we could be looking at an roughly an extra 130,000 from J&J from May on top of the 600,000 already committed for Q2? So if that’s the case we could be looking at 860,000 people done with one shot!! That’s 17.2% of total population done in 3 months

Cork2021 wrote: »
    That’s great news!! So in total we could be looking at an roughly an extra 130,000 from J&J from May on top of the 600,000 already committed for Q2? So if that’s the case we could be looking at 860,000 people done with one shot!! That’s 17.2% of total population done in 3 months
    Q3 unfortunately. But that's not too far away.
    https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/SANOFI-4698/news/Sanofi-to-provide-manufacturing-support-to-Johnson-Johnson-for-their-COVID-19-vaccine-to-help-ad-32498642/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

The UK must be confident on the vaccines dealing with variants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JTMan wrote: »
    Germany are considering vaccine certificates. Israel already issue "green passports" ...

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1364139580102959104

I'd imagine it will happen but not sure you can do it before you've given the population the chance to be vaccinated, so for us probably can't happen til July or August really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

8232 for Saturday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement