Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Water John wrote: »
    Right wing politicians in the UK are no different now than they were in 1846.
    Good they have made such headway in first dose vaccination but I'm generally glad I live in Ireland. This DNR policy for people with mental learning difficulties if they caught Covid is horrible:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/new-do-not-resuscitate-orders-imposed-on-covid-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties

Doesn't work like on TV anyway

"Survival to hospital discharge differed by age, with 21.2% (11/52) of patients younger than 45 years surviving compared with 2.9% (1/34) of those aged 80 or older."

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m3513

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

XsApollo wrote: »
    So no vaccine passports until everybody can get one.
    So let’s keep everybody locked up because it’s unfair on people that don’t have one.
    If I can’t have one nobody else can have one.
    No thanks , get everything moving as fast a possible thanks. I am way down the list and I won’t want anybody stuck because I can’t have my vaccine passport.

Are you joking with me? We have been locked to protect the elderly.

The virus is pretty much harmless to young people, hence why they are at the bottom of the vaccine list.

It's hardly fair for the elderly to run off on holiday, while young people will be stuck.at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I believe Virgin Atlantic are flying in a consignment of vaccines from the U.K. today.

Does anyone know more on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

is_that_so wrote: »
    I don't see passports happening in the long term. They are a disproportionate response to a disease that will probably end up like a cold.

I already have an electronic one, just waiting for the vaccinations to be entered into it. (not in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭XsApollo

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Are you joking with me? We have been locked to protect the elderly.

The virus is pretty much harmless to young people, hence why they are at the bottom of the vaccine list.

It's hardly fair for the elderly to run off on holiday, while young people will be stuck.at home.

Is it fair that we are all locked up to protect the elderly? Nope

But you want to pay them back or what ?
    Why do you want to stop them? The quicker everything gets back to normal the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭brickster69

Some good news. The UK head of Pfizer Ben Osborn tells Times Radio that they don't expect to have to change their vaccine to deal with any new variants

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

AdamD wrote: »
    We'd need significantly more than 250k per week really. It would take 10 months to give everyone 2 doses at 250k per week

The UAE and Israel are jabbing 1% of their population per day. That should be our goal. Taking 160 doses for every hundred people as the target for herd immunity, vaccinating 1% per day would take us just under 6 months to reach our goal. J&J could get our goal down to 130 or so, which would shave off a month.

To hit 1% per day we need to be vaccinating 50k per day or 350k per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Some good news. The UK head of Pfizer Ben Osborn tells Times Radio that they don't expect to have to change their vaccine to deal with any new variants

Brilliant news, have you a link by any chance?

Brilliant news, have you a link by any chance?

https://youtu.be/zP2sn0vuLEc

Some other interesting tidbits. The expect results of their trials in the 12-15 age group by the first half of this year before then moving on to children as young as 5. They're also working on new ways to freeze the vaccine that would make it easier to store.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are you allowed pick your vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    no you are not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Uk hits it's target with a day to spare

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56062976

watch our country get very messy when the UK opens up, their in a good place with vaccines, but as they open up it will affect the mood here big time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Nah you be lucky to get any vaccine especially here take what you can get

Fair play to the uk an excellent job done on the vaccine compared to the woeful show in the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Fair play to the uk an excellent job done on the vaccine compared to the woeful show in the eu

Will this result in other European countries reconsidering their relationship with the EU?

Will this result in other European countries reconsidering their relationship with the EU?

Small players like us no we in to much debt for years now ,big players like france germany ya id say so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭brickster69

gally74 wrote: »
    watch our country get very messy when the UK opens up, their in a good place with vaccines, but as they open up it will affect the mood here big time.

I think Ireland will be in a lot better place in 6 weeks time. A lot better than many others in Europe.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Uk will be fully open by June

Can you substantiate this? I watched ITV news tonight and that certainly wasn't the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I think Ireland will be in a lot better place in 6 weeks time. A lot better than many others in Europe.

The fact we’ll hopefully have 500,000 people fully vaccinated in that period will be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that Reid promising 80k doses will be given between tomorrow and next Sunday. 13500 will be for the over 85’s.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see that Reid promising 80k doses will be given between tomorrow and next Sunday. 13500 will be for the over 85’s.

peter reid is it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No it won't, if anything, the recovery process will focus minds and bring the countries closer together, especially if we go after COVID-free travel.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Water John wrote: »
    Right wing politicians in the UK are no different now than they were in 1846.
    Good they have made such headway in first dose vaccination but I'm generally glad I live in Ireland. This DNR policy for people with mental learning difficulties if they caught Covid is horrible:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/new-do-not-resuscitate-orders-imposed-on-covid-19-patients-with-learning-difficulties

You might be whistling a different tune by the time you get the vaccine at the rate its being organised here.

The Brits are putting everyone to shame by the speed they are getting their citizens jabbed.

All we have is Martin stuttering his way through interviews and having no idea what he is trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

You might be whistling a different tune by the time you get the vaccine at the rate its being organised here.

The Brits are putting everyone to shame by the speed they are getting their citizens jabbed.

All we have is Martin stuttering his way through interviews and having no idea what he is trying to say.

It's not Martin that's organising the roll out though it's the HSE. and after a shaky start, I think they've coped quite well.
    The UK had a head start on everybody else because they went headlong into unknown territory, this was a calculated risk which has paid off so far but could just as easily have been a disaster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Micky 32 wrote: »

On the former point, over 85s, I hope this can be achieved. However I'm aware the some of that population demographic and their carers have not been contacted, which is worrying given the lack of mobility/coccooed nature that some over 85s are subject to. Hence Mr. Reid's logistic operations might be entangled by these factors, unless these have been well planed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We've used up all our supply with lots more supply coming online over the next few weeks and months, all countries are equally locked down at the moment.

What would your solution be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Marhay70 wrote: »
    It's not Martin that's organising the roll out though it's the HSE. and after a shaky start, I think they've coped quite well.
    The UK had a head start on everybody else because they went headlong into unknown territory, this was a calculated risk which has paid off so far but could just as easily have been a disaster.
    Unless you assume that the likes of Pfizer is an incompetent and corrupt organisation, it's highly unlikely that the early UK approval and rollout would have been a disaster. There was a small increased risk from the early approval. IIRC representatives from the EU and EMA said this at the time.

Small increased risk, not "just as easily a disaster". We'll be able to estimate at some stage how many lives were saved by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yevon wrote: »
    How do you propose speeding up the vaccination program?
    astrofool wrote: »
    We've used up all our supply with lots more supply coming online over the next few weeks and months, all countries are equally locked down at the moment.

What would your solution be?

It's not up to me to solve it, that why we vote in those overpaid fools we have in Government to work out what to do.

However if the Brits offer to sell us some of their vaccines we should buy them, Martin was asked would he do this and he wouldn't answer.

Its a no brainer of course we should bloody buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

Does anyone know when the AZ vaccine will start being given to the 65-70 age group?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement