Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flowers delivery on 13th or 14th

• 12-02-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Tried to order flowers online tonight for delivery in tallaght sat or Sun but Monday is earliest date I can get. Anybody know of flower shop whereby such a weekend delivery might be possible? If flowers late for valentines I will be in the doghouse haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭appledrop

Patd6 wrote: »
    Tried to order flowers online tonight for delivery in tallaght sat or Sun but Monday is earliest date I can get. Anybody know of flower shop whereby such a weekend delivery might be possible? If flowers late for valentines I will be in the doghouse haha

Did you try Jackie's florist? They are very good, now you might have left it too late as no florist s open this year so everyone looking for delivery!

If not I'd just come clean BEFORE Valentines + explain on the way but delayed due to national pandemic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Deliver them yourself, go buy some expensive ones from marks or dunes or similar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

A dozen red rose in Aldi for 6 quid, throw in some chocolates and you are sorted. They're not Aldi branded so nobody will even know.

Lidl and SuperValu doing similar.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/plants-flowers/c10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Its probably too late to order for delivery from most florists. You cant even order for collection due to covid guidelines.

Your best bet is to buy a bunch in a supermarket/petrol station.

They will be lesser quality but will do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭appledrop

A dozen red rose in Aldi for 6 quid, throw in some chocolates and you are sorted. They're not Aldi branded so nobody will even know.

Lidl and SuperValu doing similar.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/plants-flowers/c10

Whatever you do don't take this advice. Jesus if you stuck by all means spend a bit of money in Aldi, Dunnes etc were they do have decent bunches but they are 40 or 50 euros.

She will know because for 6 euros they will come in horrible cellophane + looks cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's ruff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I love romance even if you are a bit late!

Limited Dublin deliveries still available on the 13th https://www.bloommagicflowers.ie/

Dublin only delivery for Valentine's https://www.madflowers.com/

Delivery also available but Valentine's prices may cause heart failure https://flowers.ie/collections/valentines-day-flowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Local flower thieves wanted 90 quid for 12 roses, to collect myself. 100 including delivery. No thanks. 50 or 60 quid fair enough. Not spending a hundred euros on a few flowers. Off to Dunnes for me in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

15th. get em cheaper 50% off

appledrop wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't take this advice. Jesus if you stuck by all means spend a bit of money in Aldi, Dunnes etc were they do have decent bunches but they are 40 or 50 euros.

She will know because for 6 euros they will come in horrible cellophane + looks cheap.

Because the price point dictates quality.....did you learn nothing from the boom and bust?

Am not saying necessarily buy the cheapest in Aldi as they and other retailers have a wide range. There's just no need to get ripped off at a florist or having to buy the most expensive in Dunnes etc to get the best flowers.

• Advertisement

Local flower thieves wanted 90 quid for 12 roses, to collect myself. 100 including delivery. No thanks. 50 or 60 quid fair enough. Not spending a hundred euros on a few flowers. Off to Dunnes for me in the morning.

A dozen roses is about €60-75 on a normal week.

Supermarkets buy from numerous growers, buying low quality in bulk at low set prices. Therefore prices are lower.

Florists dont have that "buying power" and buy flowers from suppliers in an auction setting. It is a supply vs demand situation, at peak periods, prices from growers go up, auction prices are higher, therefore the cost to the florist is higher.

In reality, the florist is only making a very slight additional profit on Love Day, the rest is the supplier and grower.

Also, a lot of florists employ independant deliver drivers, they charge the florist to deliver to the customer. In general, the delivery charge is not the florists delivery charge.

Expect to get 2 days maximum out of supermarket flowers.

Great generalisation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Btw if anyone wants a €10 off MadFlowers. PM for a code, 3 have an offer at the moment.

Great generalisation there.

Not really, flower longevity is suceptable to transport, handling, placing and they require incremental care.

By the time the flowers are picked, arranged, transported and on a supermarket floor, they may be 4-6 days old. Possibly also badly handled by untrained staff, in addition to being incorrectly placed in an area with a draught. They will not have been conditioned, fed or adequately watered.

They may be 6-7 days old before you get them home. If you dont take an inch off the bottom of the stem so they can drink water/flower food, they will more than likely be dead as early as 2 days from purchase.

Is that more specific for you?

Because the price point dictates quality.

The above is true.
    There's just no need to get ripped off at a florist or having to buy the most expensive in Dunnes etc to get the best flowers.

The above is a contradiction from your forst point. The length of the stem and variety of rose reflects the quality and dictates the cost of the rose. The better the rose, the more expensive it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

.....Delivery also available but Valentine's prices may cause heart failure https://flowers.ie/collections/valentines-day-flowers

omg, you're right about the heart failure. OH still doesn't believe that someone would actually pay 600Eu for 100 long stem roses in a vase :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Supermarket flowers are still much better than no flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

As a woman I'll just say nothing screams romance than half-dead flowers from a garage ...

Or, you could do something original once your know her personality and sense of humour. It doesn't cost money to let someone you're thinking about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Are you near a graveyard?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Are you near a graveyard?

:pac:

• Advertisement

www.postalflowers.ie

Communication is shocking and that's what you will see in the reviews but they are the best prices I could find for Sunday delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If one is clever, there is no need to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year.

It’s not like she can meet someone else

A dozen roses is about €60-75 on a normal week.

Supermarkets buy from numerous growers, buying low quality in bulk at low set prices. Therefore prices are lower.

Florists dont have that "buying power" and buy flowers from suppliers in an auction setting. It is a supply vs demand situation, at peak periods, prices from growers go up, auction prices are higher, therefore the cost to the florist is higher.

In reality, the florist is only making a very slight additional profit on Love Day, the rest is the supplier and grower.

Also, a lot of florists employ independant deliver drivers, they charge the florist to deliver to the customer. In general, the delivery charge is not the florists delivery charge.

I was waiting for a sob story.

A dozen roses are not typically €60-75 on a normal week. That's just wrong. 100 euros is the height of greed. Not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I'm the female equivalent of Elton John. I want a bouquet of fresh flowers every week or I'll have a conniption fit!

I was waiting for a sob story.

A dozen roses are not typically €60-75 on a normal week. That's just wrong. 100 euros is the height of greed. Not this time.

LOL, its far from a "sob story", its how the system works, I cant explain it any more simply.

A dozen roses on a normal week can actually go higher than €70, dependant on the variety, so its quite correct.

€100 would be "standard" for V Day due to supply and demand at an auction setting, im sure you understand that concept...but evidently you dont.

You should be grand with flowers from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

There'll be no steak and blow job for you next month.

Not really, flower longevity is suceptable to transport, handling, placing and they require incremental care.

By the time the flowers are picked, arranged, transported and on a supermarket floor, they may be 4-6 days old. Possibly also badly handled by untrained staff, in addition to being incorrectly placed in an area with a draught. They will not have been conditioned, fed or adequately watered.

They may be 6-7 days old before you get them home. If you dont take an inch off the bottom of the stem so they can drink water/flower food, they will more than likely be dead as early as 2 days from purchase.

Is that more specific for you?

We buy supermarket flowers every week, usually last around 5 days

€100 would be "standard" for V Day due to supply and demand at an auction setting, im sure you understand that concept...but evidently you dont.

Oh I understand its based on supply and demand, no need to be a wise guy/ gal about it. I also understand its complete opportunistic greed. Are you able to grasp that?

You also said supermarkets buy low quality flowers that last 2 days which is also complete rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

We buy supermarket flowers every week, usually last around 5 days

Doing well so. Cheap garage, and supermarket, flowers are cheap for a reason. If you want decent, “long lasting”, flowers you go to a florist and pay for them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Doing well so. Cheap garage, and supermarket, flowers are cheap for a reason. If you want decent, “long lasting”, flowers you go to a florist and pay for them.

A tenner a week for 5 days is long enough for me. I'm not talking roses or what not and you have to be picky, but it's possible if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

A few little scrote mates of mine in Tallaght will raid the local cemetery and hand deliver an impressive floral arrangement to your paramour on their mountain bikes. PM me.

Failing that.....why bother dropping 70 quid on flowers? I take it the object of your desires and affections is a lady and that you won't be with her on the day (otherwise you could bring flowers yourself). If my assumptions are correct then scratch the crappy flowers and instead have a dinner delivery for her. Her favourite meal with bottle of prosecco/wine. Tell her not to cook and then have a nice delivery of starter, main and dessert for her. Have the delivery guy swing by and get her a red rose and a choccy bar too and add that to his tip. He gets an extra few quid if he can score a candle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Is there any shops doing good quality flowers that you can actually walk in and look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sm3ar wrote: »
    Is there any shops doing good quality flowers that you can actually walk in and look at?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

sm3ar wrote: »

If your referring to Mother's Day Flowers you'd have to wait until about Thursday to see the full selection. Places can be very hit and miss.

Advertisement