Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places have closed during the pandemic?

Options
  • 12-02-2021 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

what places have you heard have closed or noticed have closed in dublin city in recent months during the lockdowns?

was in town earlier and noticed 3 that look finished ( probably saw others too just these are fresh)

eurostore up by stephens green

amorino, the ice-cream place at entrance of stephens green

O'Sheas restuarant/pub/hotel on talbot street had the sign gone and looked like it is gone for good (feel free to correct & i'll edit if not the case)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Accents

Bewley's is in a superposition of being both open and closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Burger King at the bottom end of Grafton St (nearest Trinity) has gone.
    Good few empty shops around town.
    Cath Kitson another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Oasis, Debenhams, Warehouse and some other fashion places I'm forgetting. Quite a few gaps on Grafton Street last time I was there. (I know Debenhams aren't on Grafton Street)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

All the Arcadia shops which include Top Shop, Top Man, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Miss Selfridge, Burton's and some others have closed since being sold to online retailer Asos who won't operate any bricks and mortar stores. Jervis SC will really take a hit from all those departures.

Fallon and Byrne were already in trouble pre COVID, but they've pulled out and cancelled plans to open in Connolly Station and Dundrum.

It's hard to tell at the moment with so many businesses shuttered due to lockdown as to which closures are permanent but time will tell once non essential retail reopens later in the Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Aldo is another fashion one that's gone, Grafton St and Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fat Face gone from Henry St and so has Evans.

Rick's closed too on Dame St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the mythical burger shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ricks was closed for a hotel development not due to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

L1011 wrote: »
    Ricks was closed for a hotel development not due to COVID.

I hope it can reopen elsewhere after the pandemic. I loved their burgers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Monsoon on Grafton Street is also gone.

A lot of business that closes were on shaky legs any way. You will see, new businesses will quickly take the place once there is trade, and people will have a lot to spend after lock down

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Actually there was a very large Carrolls Irish gift shop on Mary Street that has closed down too since Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Deli Suz on Blessington St closed a few months back which I was quite sad about, they did a really good sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

miamee wrote: »
    Actually there was a very large Carrolls Irish gift shop on Mary Street that has closed down too since Covid.

One benefit from this pandemic would be the closure of all those horrible Carroll’s gift shops

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A silver lining. I do be scarleh walking past those things blasting the wolfe tones and staffed by unfortunate foreign students, talk about cheap tat. And awful frontage on all of them.
    Can we not have a full time Taste Officer working for DCC who has final say on opening things like another bloody Carrolls?

I know, terrible to say I was happy to see it had gone, it was a very large shop. Then again they may find it hard to find another tenat, not a huge footfall down that end of the street. It's nearly at Capel Street.

Another shop I thought of - Inglot make up shops are gone into liquidation. They still stock the brand in some Boots stores but no standalone shops or stands e.g. on Sth Anne Street, not sure where else in the city centre.

Mothercare also gone from St. Stephen's Green shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mothercare also gone from St. Stephen's Green shopping centre.
    Was that not gone before the pandemic?

ETA - I stand corrected, June 2020

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Bookstation on Henry Street, I don't think it ever reopened after the first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

H&M Ilac centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I never thought about Carrolls. The majority of their trade seemed to be tourists.

Even if we get back to some normality this Summer you would imagine visitor numbers will be very small.

Hard to see how they can survive

ShyMets wrote: »
    I never thought about Carrolls. The majority of their trade seemed to be tourists.

Even if we get back to some normality this Summer you would imagine visitor numbers will be very small.

Hard to see how they can survive

We hardly need these shops selling cheap Chinese plastic rubbish, I'd be glad to see the back of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

We hardly need these shops selling cheap Chinese plastic rubbish, I'd be glad to see the back of them all.

Agree. There's far to many of them. But when you're a popular tourist city like Dublin you have to put up with a few of them

ShyMets wrote: »
    Agree. There's far to many of them. But when you're a popular tourist city like Dublin you have to put up with a few of them

They're just so loud and garish though. And the signage, everything about them is just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Interesting to read this discussion. I have not been into the city for exactly one year this week, when usually I would have been there at least once a week. I really miss it, and it's sad but unsurprising to hear of so many closures. Carrolls are a scourge so difficult to be sad about that, but of course every business lost is a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I had a good long walk around the city centre a couple of weeks back to kill time while a mechanic was working on my motorbike. Obviously everything is closed bar the banks, mobile phone and food shops

But aside from that what was really noticeable was the amount of shops that are not coming back. You can tell they're gone for good because either all their signage & branding above the door or in the windows is gone or theres an estate agents To Let sign in the window or sometimes both. There seems to be a fair few more completely empty units around than the first lockdown. Hard to put a figure on it as some streets are worse than others. On Henry Street Id say about 15-20% of units dont look like they'll be back. Good few units in SSG Centre hollowed out too. Grafton had less empty units than Henry and Dawson had less than both.

Couple of surprises was seeing the McDonalds at the bottom of Grafton Street actually closed for the first time in decades of me passing it and the Burger King a few doors down seems to be gone completely. Asiide from that there was new temporary public toilets in portakabins outside the SSG Centre and they had no less than four security guards working them even though town was dead. There must have been around 6 or 7 homeless living in tents underneath the awning of the Gaiety and a lot more in other areas of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

I have gotten some little souvenirs in Carroll's for the German side of our family and they have loved them. The Guinness products are of a decent quality. They also did a hamper of Ireland on their website which we arranged to have posted directly to Germany and it went down a treat.

Those shops selling crappy backpacks need to go to the wall IMO, there is one beside the Carroll's in Stephens Green, to know what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Howard's Way in rathgar looks like it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can't believe Ricks is gone, was my drunken eating place for the last 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can't believe Ricks is gone, was my drunken eating place for the last 15 years.

Ricks is nothing to do with the pandemic , the hotel above/beside it is being enlarged and generally redeveloped and taking up the unit Ricks was in, planning granted about a year ago.

Advertisement