Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places have closed during the pandemic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A Lidl, or any supermarket, will be awful on that street, never mind a building of that size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭themacattack.

CucaFace wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if O'Shea's is shut down for good. They had recently put a lot of money into it and had created a really nice hidden beer garden there.

They may (and im only guessing) have changed to accepting homeless people/refugee's in the hotel part to get through the last year as i have seen people going in and out of there and i can't see who else would be using the hotel in the last year.

Maybe they have just closed the bar until normality has returned?

spot on...o sheas still open but as you say for homeless/refugees...quite a few places around town are doing similar....intresting to see if they revert back to their old custom when the pandemic is over or stick with what they are doing now...i would imagine they would make more money from a hotel full of tourists than half full with government money but iv no idea really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm sad Roma 2 is shut down. I guess the trendy Camden st folk are too cool for chipper food these days!
    Would often end up there after being in the Palace in the late 90s. Those were the days...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hurrache wrote: »
    A Lidl, or any supermarket, will be awful on that street, never mind a building of that size.
    It would very much suit Apple if they were ever looking for a store in Dublin, especially if the area was pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm sad Roma 2 is shut down. I guess the trendy Camden st folk are too cool for chipper food these days!
    Would often end up there after being in the Palace in the late 90s. Those were the days...

Is that the place Anthony Bourdain ate in on his Dublin show?

Ate there twice and it was just a typical scruffy chipper. I couldn't imagine it being missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I love lidl but do we really want a lidl in what may be a pedestrianised gorgeous area some day?

yeah Id agree. At the time when Lidl wanted it back in 2011 (after Habitat folded) An Taisce objected saying a discount supermarket wasnt a good fit for the area. I dont think DCC were too keen on the idea either.

Lidl have their new store on Aungier Street now so they probably wouldnt be interested in the Abercrombie site anymore. Aldi might be though given Lidl now have a south city centre presence, they tend to play cat and mouse with each other regarding locations. Whoever goes in there would have to be a major retailer given the size of the unit. Perhaps a retailer with a presence already in Dundrum but nothing in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to love that chipper, it was great having a chipper with seats in that part of town. We used to go regularly enough in the 90s right up to 2007-06. But last time I was there, about 3 years ago it had really gone down hill. Very small menu and the food was absolutely terrible.

Any word on Bailey bar off Grafton st or Fade Street social tapas restaurant? Are they still in business? Hope so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Vcu3656 wrote: »
    Any word on Bailey bar off Grafton st or Fade Street social tapas restaurant? Are they still in business? Hope so....

The Bailey was open each time it was allowed too, most recently just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in town last week and spotted a few new businesses that I dont think were there before
    -Vodafone have opened a large shop on Henry St next to Vision Express
    -Wing It, new shop on Georges street near the Dunnes HQ
    -Bao Bun just opened Aungier St
    -New sportsbar seems to be opening soon next door to Wowburger on Camden St

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Wing It was actually there before the pandemic. Spotted a couple of new places on Aungier St incliding that Bao Bun at the weekend - great to see new businesses opening up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Big fan also located there which opened during the pandemic or right at the beginning of which I am a....big fan.

Along with Lucky tortoise and bao house, Aungier street is fast becoming the bao district quarter.

ixoy wrote: »
    It would very much suit Apple if they were ever looking for a store in Dublin, especially if the area was pedestrianised.

I'd prefer a Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Don't know if reported already but Tommy Hilfiger gone from Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in town last week and spotted a few new businesses that I dont think were there before

Is that not a Ladbrokes? Just what the street needs, when there is already one opposite Devitts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is it gone for good or just empty of stock while they have to close? Hard to tell these days what's gone for good or just temp.

Grafton Street is becoming very barren.

Gone for good by the looks of things. Most signage gone and poster in the window thanking people for business and directing them to Dundrum

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Muahahaha wrote: »

Wing It has been open just over 2 years and Bao a bit longer.

Bao have opened a closed and rebranded a few times even before Covid.

Lolly and Cooks have closed up in George's St. Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's a pity, I remember some great nights enjoying cocktail specials in the Met bar (old name for Lanigans) and a 21st in the Clifton Court :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would expect the Clifton Court to reopen, but not with the long-standing operators cause they're out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

O Briens Sandwiches on Baggot street gone unlike my memory of an incredibly greasy sambo I had there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Gone for good by the looks of things. Most signage gone and poster in the window thanking people for business and directing them to Dundrum

Wow, I remember when they moved in, they paid crazy money for their lease, real Celtic tiger era rents. Never really bought their clothes as I found them too preppy and pricey but it's still a shame to see a blue chip brand leave the street. I remember that premises used to be the Grafton arcade with a little Golden Discs out front and the arcade led you into the rear of Hodges Figges bookstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've surprised they're all in still in business, the prices they change for a simple sandwich is mental.

My local Spar makes a much superior sandwich to anything in O’Briens ....

8.75 for a standard triple decker in o’briens... hmmm if I’m shelling out that cash I’d rather put 2.75 to it and get a hot dinner somewhere.

I've surprised they're all in still in business, the prices they change for a simple sandwich is mental.

I never understood the success of O'Briens. It's woeful. Insomnia coffee is another. I wouldn't even consider going into an O'Briens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Cienciano wrote: »
    I never understood the success of O'Briens. It's woeful. Insomnia coffee is another. I wouldn't even consider going into an O'Briens.

I actually really enjoy insomnia coffee. I never buy them now, and rarely pre covid, but I did enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd take Insomnia over Starbucks (and most chain places) every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Strumms wrote: »

8.75 for a standard triple decker in o’briens... hmmm if I’m shelling out that cash I’d rather put 2.75 to it and get a hot dinner somewhere.

jaysus, having worked in a shop deli before, i'd pay for a proper sandwhich out of o'briens before i'd touch any of the toppings in many spar places, often out of date products, that have been lying around all day.

maybe it depends what you get, but while o'briends is exspensive it's one of the best chain sandwhich places around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

jaysus, having worked in a shop deli before, i'd pay for a proper sandwhich out of o'briens before i'd touch any of the toppings in many spar places, often out of date products, that have been lying around all day.

maybe it depends what you get, but while o'briends is exspensive it's one of the best chain sandwhich places around.

There is multiple people including myself who disagree. I had an O'brien's for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was terrible.

Strumms wrote: »

Don't get me started on their "triple deckers". They're double, not triple. Worse case of false advertisement in the sandwich industry since subway foot longs turned out to be 11 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

AhhHere wrote: »
    O Briens Sandwiches on Baggot street gone unlike my memory of an incredibly greasy sambo I had there once.

I used to regularly get sandwiches there but the last time was 25 years ago. It’s lasted a long time.

Advertisement