Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places have closed during the pandemic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 previousmass

humberklog wrote: »
    La Maison on Castle Street has gone. The tenants thought they were up to scratch with their landlord and were looking forward to re-opening after giving the place a good spruce up over the last few months.

They were locked out last week.

That is a bit of a downer. Hopefully it will reform elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Jizique wrote: »
    Yes; awful development with the Wetherspoons across the road dragging the street further into the gutter

You clearly haven't seen what they've done with the buildings along Camden street. A much needed rejuvenation.

Victor wrote: »
    Looking a bit sad as I passed the other day.

That Dame House signage is pretty cool.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That Dame House signage is pretty cool.

It's like a time warp in there, a friend was dropping a camera in to one of the businesses in there a good few years ago for a repair and I went with him. As far as I remember, there were a lot of green tiles on the walls and original features (to my untrained eye anyway). I hope it's still like that, this was 10+ years ago. I'm pretty sure anyone can just walk in, it's a collection of businesses rather than just one. Worth a nosey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Strumms wrote: »
    I reading Ricks was there 26 years...

Whoever the landlord is won’t care, it’s prime location will provide little shortage of interested tenants.....

Its being redeveloped in to an extension of the hotel, who are the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Caranica wrote: »
    Beshoffs on Mespil Road is closed. Makes me crave fish and chips every time I pass!!

Edit: website says Mespil and Dame Street closed until further notice. Other stores open, O'Connell Street gone from the list.

It closed last year, possibly during the first lockdown I think. Freshii next door also never reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hubertj wrote: »
    It closed last year, possibly during the first lockdown I think. Freshii next door also never reopened.

I wondered what had been there. No signage for Freshii but the Beshoffs stuff is still there and it's still listed on their website albeit "closed until further notice"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

VonLuck wrote: »
    You clearly haven't seen what they've done with the buildings along Camden street. A much needed rejuvenation.

Cycle past it daily for 20 years.
    It was a mess but not sure a drinking emporium will add much long term

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Not sure how long it's closed but noticed the hat stall in Stephens green (near back side entrance/escalators) is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cycle past it daily for 20 years.
    It was a mess but not sure a drinking emporium will add much long term

It is an 89 bedroom hotel as well as a Wetherpossons pub. Its better as that than than it being left sitting vacant and dilapidated for another few decades. They've done a excellent job on the brickwork outside and it looks much improved.

It was a former nuns convent and they had to restore part of an 19th century church inside it. Had Wetherspoons not taken it on Id say it would have remained empty for years to come. Georgian buildings with a church inside is the type of project that would have most developers running for the hills, there is just too much potential for hidden costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I reading Ricks was there 26 years...

Muuuuch longer than that. It's in the 80s film Educating Rita.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Muuuuch longer than that. It's in the 80s film Educating Rita.
    Nah, that corner was something else when I moved to Dublin in 1995. I lived on Crow Street in the summer of '96 and I think it was new then.

Edit: Here it is in Educating Rita:
    er018.jpg

Victor wrote: »
    Looking a bit sad as I passed the other day.

555405.JPG

I never really ate there anyway, but used to hate turning that corner every evening after work, and getting a sudden bang of burger grease.

You wouldn't want to have a sensitive stomach.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nah, that corner was something else when I moved to Dublin in 1995. I lived on Crow Street in the summer of '96 and I think it was new then.

er018.jpg

What was on the other corner (that is a Spar now) back in 1995? I can remember it around 2000 as a place selling Persian rugs/carpets and then later as a Sony or Philips shop I think. I think it was lying empty for a while then before Spar took it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Didn't Richer Sounds have it for a while too. Vague memory being in there donkey's ago

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What was on the other corner (that is a Spar now) back in 1995? I can remember it around 2000 as a place selling Persian rugs/carpets and then later as a Sony or Philips shop I think. I think it was lying empty for a while then before Spar took it over.
    I think it may have been empty for a while before Richer Sounds took it. They tended to go for temporary low-rent leases.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I never really ate there anyway, but used to hate turning that corner every evening after work, and getting a sudden bang of burger grease.

You wouldn't want to have a sensitive stomach.

Rick's the one time I ate there reminded me of being in Australia, in that it was nigh on impossible to get a nice burger over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

It is an 89 bedroom hotel as well as a Wetherpossons pub. Its better as that than than it being left sitting vacant and dilapidated for another few decades. They've done a excellent job on the brickwork outside and it looks much improved.

It was a former nuns convent and they had to restore part of an 19th century church inside it. Had Wetherspoons not taken it on Id say it would have remained empty for years to come. Georgian buildings with a church inside is the type of project that would have most developers running for the hills, there is just too much potential for hidden costs.

Not if there was a vacant site tax.
    I refuse to celebrate Tim Martin (and Ladbrokes) as a saviour of our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Looks like it was Burtons back in the 80; don’t remember clothes shops along there at all.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Looks like it was Burtons back in the 80; don’t remember clothes shops along there at all.
    It was built as a Burton's. The original signage is still on the building. I'm actually surprised they were still there as late as the '80s.

556908.jpg

• Advertisement

Not if there was a vacant site tax.
    I refuse to celebrate Tim Martin (and Ladbrokes) as a saviour of our city.

There is a vacant site tax and it has proved not to be working because of bad legislation and because county councils are finding it impossible to find the owners of these buildings, some of whom have emigrated or are long since dead.

At least Wetherspoons are rejuvenating these buildings and bringing them back into use, thats no bad thing imo because otherwise they would just continue to lie derelict like they have done for decades previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

pottokblue wrote: »
    It would be get if Tower records or other entertainment shop moved into one of those free spots on grafton street....

Tower are on the street parallel to grafton st - dawson st

Personally I think it’s a great premises for them, loads of room to browse

Anyone know how long Saburritos on Dame Street is gone? Passed by a few days ago for the first time in a good while and noticed its been replaced by a Pakistani/Indian

Ah sorry to hear that

Saburritos was very good. The staff very friendly

I’ll miss there too...after a feed of pints to tuck into one of those massive burgers before getting a taxi home was a pure joy, they were massive in every sense.

Yep ricks was class. Always had a good burger there.

Sorry to see it gone

Bunsen all the way now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BeerNut wrote: »

er018.jpg

I distinctly remember it being a Subway prior to Rick's as I had just come back from a J1 summer in San Francisco in 1996 where I had discovered Subway and was impressed to find that they were now also in Dublin (foot long sandwiches were a novelty in Ireland back then!!) . I think it or Nassau St (still there) was the very first Subway in Ireland.

PS, I completely forgot about the carpet shop opposite (now Spar). I remember there was always a carpet tapestry of Mary Robinson in the window for years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

ongarboy wrote: »
    I distinctly remember it being a Subway prior to Rick's as I had just come back from a J1 summer in San Francisco in 1996 where I had discovered Subway and was impressed to find that they were now also in Dublin (foot long sandwiches were a novelty in Ireland back then!!) . I think it or Nassau St (still there) was the very first Subway in Ireland.

PS, I completely forgot about the carpet shop opposite (now Spar). I remember there was always a carpet tapestry of Mary Robinson in the window for years
    The Nassau Street one is gone, it's a Porterhouse off-licence now - https://www.instagram.com/bottlehoused2/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

AhhHere wrote: »
    Not sure how long it's closed but noticed the hat stall in Stephens green (near back side entrance/escalators) is closed

I'm almost sure that had closed before the pandemic. The only surprise is that it lasted as long as it did there, never looked busy.

The carpet/rug shop was in the next unit on Dame Street, not on the corner but they were both merged to become the larger unit that is Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

miamee wrote: »
    The carpet/rug shop was in the next unit on Dame Street, not on the corner but they were both merged to become the larger unit that is Spar.

Before it was a Spar I’m almost certain the old Burtons was a Philips electrical shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Caranica wrote: »
    Raidar is gone in Blanchardstown so possibly town too.

the family behind this had the g-star contract but then lost it or gave it up, unsure if it was a wise move. Raidar was never overly busy in comparison. There is a dire need of some good mens shops in Dublin anyway.

Advertisement