Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex employee - what would you do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I do honestly wish this person all the best and perhaps there is something going on in the background, looking back there was alot of erratic behavior and perhaps the stress of the role added to this.

Imagine Joe was fired because the company believed her racism claims.

Joe has a young family and is now struggling to get a new job because his CV lists a position he was fired from for being a racist.

His life is severely damaged because of her lies.

So I think it's kind of gross to wish her all the best...

I sense from your two posts (unsure if you should warn the company about hiring a dangerous person; wishing that dangerous person all the best) that you are perhaps too soft. You're moving into management now and unfortunately that means you're going to see the worst of people (and the best). If you don't toughen up people are going to walk all over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Imagine Joe was fired because the company believed her racism claims.

Joe has a young family and is now struggling to get a new job because his CV lists a position he was fired from for being a racist.

His life is severely damaged because of her lies.

So I think it's kind of gross to wish her all the best...

I sense from your two posts (unsure if you should warn the company about hiring a dangerous person; wishing that dangerous person all the best) that you are perhaps too soft. You're moving into management now and unfortunately that means you're going to see the worst of people (and the best). If you don't toughen up people are going to walk all over you.

Why are you condemning OP on completely hypothetical circumstances?

Acting with any sort of vitriol here would absolutely result in a guilty conscience. Very high chance of grossing out witnessing colleagues too.

Please read the first post in this thread.

The crazy person was trying to get people fired based on false racism and bullying accusations. She was trying to damage people's lives. It's just lucky she was working for a company where the decisions makers have a bit of cop on. But her accusations could easily have been believed and people could have been fired.

Try to think through how difficult your job hunting will be if you're fired for racism. Now incorporate the fact you're not a racist and a psycho has screwed up your life. That is a terrible situation.

The crazy person should be condemned completely and does not deserve the OPs sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Acting with any sort of vitriol here would absolutely result in a guilty conscience. Very high chance of grossing out witnessing colleagues too.

Why “guilty conscience”?

Surely it’s the responsibility of an interviewer to help assess whether an applicant is suitable for the job. The op knows this applicant has history of causing trouble, why would he/she not relay that to the people making the decision?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why “guilty conscience”?

Surely it’s the responsibility of an interviewer to help assess whether an applicant is suitable for the job. The op knows this applicant has history of causing trouble, why would he/she not relay that to the people making the decision?

Absolutely, but why would OP choose to appear on the panel when concerns could be raised discreetly?

Interview and deny an unstable ex-colleague vs. an email to HR + an email to the other hiring managers.

OP did not interview the candidate and made the right decision in asking to be removed.

• Advertisement

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Please read the first post in this thread.

The crazy person was trying to get people fired based on false racism and bullying accusations. She was trying to damage people's lives. It's just lucky she was working for a company where the decisions makers have a bit of cop on. But her accusations could easily have been believed and people could have been fired.

Try to think through how difficult your job hunting will be if you're fired for racism. Now incorporate the fact you're not a racist and a psycho has screwed up your life. That is a terrible situation.

The crazy person should be condemned completely and does not deserve the OPs sympathy.

In fairness, I don't know what you expect out of OP here. He's hardly going to prolong a thread name-calling an individual he was asking advice for an exit strategy on.

"I wish her all the best" is business speak for good f*cking riddance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Maybe she has issues that need a bit of compassion. She didn't actually do anything vindictive against and did no harm. She might have mental health issues.

Also calling someone like this crazy is despicable and tarnishing her in front of an interview board....

cursai wrote: »
    She didn't actually do anything vindictive against and did no harm.

Ah yeah, falsely accusing people of racism and bullying and trying to get them fired is harmless and not in any way vindictive. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

cursai wrote: »
    Maybe she has issues that need a bit of compassion. She didn't actually do anything vindictive against and did no harm. She might have mental health issues.

Also calling someone like this crazy is despicable and tarnishing her in front of an interview board....

Read this again from the OP and tell me there's nothing vindictive or harmful in her behaviour:
    This employee would lie, accuse people of racism, acts of bullying and cause other people within the team distress. On one occasion she broke down in tears saying the person beside her was texting another colleague about her, it transpired she was only texting her hubby and showed her the phone as proof - crazy i know.

Finally, after multiple discussions with HR where she filed claim after claim about bullying which never got far because it was always discovered she was lying

Advertisement