Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever known a "serious" criminal?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm sure I wouldn't get the same punishment as someone from a rough area relying on a public defender. If you have a bone to pick with me take it to PM.

A public defender?

Mod

Thread has gone on a bit of a tangent, can we get back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Knew a lad who got a long stretch for bank robbing, got out after the GFA

Another lad who was shot dead by gardai

My Grandfather was sent down for having a load of hand grenades back in the Emergency, shot a branchman after that but didnt kill him, never charged with it.

Other Grandfather was interned in the Civil War.

Lad I knew growing up was convicted of arson, he was a few years younger than me. Got a stiff sentence for it.

Well that escalated quickly. :pac:

It did!

But sure isn't that how discussions go, one person says one thing and another challenges and next thing we are all throwing furniture at each other :D

Just like 'after hours' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

PCeeeee wrote: »
    A public defender?

I honestly have no idea what you call a defence covered by legal aid. Anyway...

Know a few who been resident on E4 in portlaoise

few lads i went to school with,got sucked into drug dealing and all it entails......most are ok,but one or two are v.sad cases and have ruined their health,futures and lost everything,always chasing the one big deal

Know one or two other been in jail for stupid sh1t,which if they had any cop-on they wouldnt be....but i guess some dont see wood from trees at times..

Where do I start..
    Know and lived beside Alot of petty/not so petty criminals, council estates.
    I'll answer with the ones I was on speaking terms with not just neighbours..(or I could go on)
    One of my best mates got caught in the 90s with half a million pounds worth of drugs..
    Nice fella, bad upbringing. Still speak to him when I see him.

Friends brother got a good spell in prison with another fella for raping a blind woman when they were quite young , he was always not right in the head. They're still crackpots.

Guy that was part of our group of friends the odd time early 2000s was said to be one of Ireland top drug dealers at the time, fled to Spain and left a mansion back in Ireland that CAB had seized. Had a party in said mansion once after he fled. The place was unreal!

Friends sister got caught transporting a gun, did a few years in Mountjoy, good family bad choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Worked on the door with Levi Belfield in the late 90ies in London, never liked the fcuker as he always seemed to eager to please

Then I saw his ugly mug splashed across every paper one morning

May he burn in hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Worked for Brian Kearney and his two brothers at one career tangent. If you asked me then which of the three brothers would be a murderer, Brian would be the bottom of the three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

I knew a guy who was convicted of murder in Clare about 30 years ago when murder was a rare thing, grew up a few doors away from him. I also knew a few guys who were involved in 'Republican Activities' in the 70's and 80's and spent time in jail, one has appeared in a few TV programmes about the troubles. I also worked in a factory in the 80's that was under observation by the Branch on suspicion of being a place where engineering/fabrication was been done after hours to help the RA. One of the guys working there was from the North but when he got married, had to have the wedding in Cavan or Monaghan because so many guests were on-the-run. Interesting place to work during the Hunger Strikes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As this thread has been revived my home address is about 200 meters from the residence of a pedophile… he was convicted of sexually assaulting his daughter a good number of years ago.. found guilty, received a conviction and did a small amount of jail time but a lot of it was suspended, he is a recluse apparently and only leaves his house after dark… saw him recently for the first time in aeons, putting the bins out and he just looks like an amiable old grandad, about 85 as opposed to the weirdo filth that he is …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes

I'd imagine the way Dublin is now many of us grew up around people who went on to do armed Robbery , murder and other gang related actives

Also know someone who got in a fight and killed someone by accident but that's a serious crime but he was not a serious criminal .,

I also as a young teen was in the company many times of someone who was also a young teen at the time who is now in prison for crimes against Children & should never see the light of day, Although he was odd you'd have never of know back then what he would go on to do ,

Advertisement