Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Those stupid immersion jokes

• 13-02-2021 5:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

They are exclusive to Ireland and make no f***ing sense given that there’s a thermal cutoff switch on the immersion that’ll trip if left on. It’s not going to cost you anymore, just the inconvenience of finding a pencil to reset it.

So why do people in Ireland keep repeating it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

i am i wish ( i fink )

Michael Gove is in an Orphan, how come not one Irish person has honestly respected that fact? It cannot have been easy for him?

Why are we always so quick to judge British people of our own generation? I think it is really lazy?

I find this a great failing in the modern Irish mind? It is lazy to assume that contemporary Brits are chunts?

Surely that is a failing, or at best a poor excuse at diplomacy?

I used to have day ( and night ) dreams about kissing Ciara Knightly... I really want her .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Michael Gove is in an Orphan, how come not one Irish person has honestly respected that fact? It cannot have been easy for him?

Why are we always so quick to judge British people of our own generation? I think it is really lazy?

I find this a great failing in the modern Irish mind? It is lazy to assume that contemporary Brits are chunts?

I used to have day ( and night ) dreams about kissing Ciara Knightly... I really want her .

OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You were trying to be so sarcastic , you misspelt the object of your affection ??
    Keira ....... (or has she a sister, Ciara? Keira and Ciara... How unusual)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0461136/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

They are exclusive to Ireland and make no f***ing sense given that there’s a thermal cutoff switch on the immersion that’ll trip if left on. It’s not going to cost you anymore, just the inconvenience of finding a pencil to reset it.

Not if your stat is broken!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

came here expecting jokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I wish this was always the case. There was a problem with ours and we left it on by mistake one day. Came home and the house was full of steam and water had pooled in the sitting room downstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Pffffft. Leaving the immersion on is nothing.

The pump in our well failed when we went on honeymoon for 3 weeks and it ran constantly.

Cost me about 500 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It costs money when left on, once the tank is heated there's no need to leave it on.

• Advertisement

Trip or stop heating?
    So if you went on holidays for a week and left it on, surely it would turn back on when it went below a certain temperature, or does it actually fully trip every time it reaches the designated temperature.

Hey you started it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Two immersions walk into a bar and order 3 large whiskeys,
    One immersions says to the other."Why did you order 3 whiskeys?"
    sorry, i cant finish the joke, i need to rush home cause i left the immersion on:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wasn't the gag to do with how much things cost , ?
    Or at least the perception of how much things cost ...
    An un-insulated cylinder, the immersion left on , equals cost ...
    Like your dad going round turning off all the lights ,and ending up being ridiculous ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

F*ck the immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I haven't heard any jokes.here.or in UK.
    I have heard the anecdotes around the anxiety they caused Irish households.
    We used to be screwed on electricity costs.
    A little knowledge was dangerous, so to see the electric meter wheel spinning at speeds never seen before, represented money being scraped from a near empty pocket.
    They also had poor insulation system, so one vould feel the heat passing the hotpress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

F*ck the immersion.

Fcuk the cistern

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No working cut-off on our one when I was growing up, you'd swear the attic was going to explode after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

An English, Scots, and Welsh immersion went into a bar. It was a heated conversation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I used to live in an apartment where the heating element had some sort of design flaw where the thermal cut off would fail after 3 or 4 months of use. Nothing worse than waking up to a full tank of boiling hot AND cold water.

When the hot tank hits boiling point it has an emergency overflow into the cold tank which eventually because boiling too. Boiling water in the hot, cold taps in the bathroom, cistern full of boiling water, the shower a torture device too.

Disaster (best pronounced in a Dundalk accent).

So you can imagine the anxiety levels if you happen to accidentally switch that on during the day and leave it unattended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Shiny wrote: »
    So you can imagine the anxiety levels if you happen to accidentally switch that on during the day and leave it unattended.

It wouldn't take long to drain the cold water (best not pronounced in a Dundalk accent) tank and let it refill.

I'd say the immersion joke was funny the first time Des Bishop ever used it - in a "haha, that's just like our house" kind of way. That was a long time ago though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Michael Gove was sent to the orphanage because he left the immersion on!
    It was not easy for his parents who had to pay the bill:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Get a thermostat, and leave it on.

My immersion is on 24/7 and my electricity bills are less than when I had it on a timer..

Andrea B. wrote: »
    I haven't heard any jokes.here.or in UK.
    I have heard the anecdotes around the anxiety they caused Irish households.
    We used to be screwed on electricity costs.
    A little knowledge was dangerous, so to see the electric meter wheel spinning at speeds never seen before, represented money being scraped from a near empty pocket.
    They also had poor insulation system, so one vould feel the heat passing the hotpress.

We used to have the cheapest electricity in Europe when ESB had a monopoly. In order to encourage competition the price was increased to some of the highest in Europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Del2005 wrote: »
    It costs money when left on, once the tank is heated there's no need to leave it on.

Its switches off when it reaches the set temperatures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

greenspurs wrote: »
    You were trying to be so sarcastic , you misspelt the object of your affection ??
    His brain is turning to putty. He must have been beat up by one of those hookers he sees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Careful with that joke, it's an antique.

It's the mother in law joke of this generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Tzardine wrote: »
    Pffffft. Leaving the immersion on is nothing.

The pump in our well failed when we went on honeymoon for 3 weeks and it ran constantly.

Cost me about 500 quid.

how did you know it was on all the time ?
    and was it still pumping water or just eating power.

might have same problem ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nevermind the immersion....did you put the cat out??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I still don't really know what an immersion is, never lived in a house that lived one, as far as I know. But yes Irish comedy seems to be based around it, whatever it is.

I still don't really know what an immersion is, never lived in a house that lived one, as far as I know. But yes Irish comedy seems to be based around it, whatever it is.

Its a heating element which is inserted into the hot water cylinder, it is immersed in the water, hence the name immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You had to be there!

Its switches off when it reaches the set temperatures.

And when it goes below the set temperature it switches back on until you turn it off with the switch.

Del2005 wrote: »
    And when it goes below the set temperature it switches back on until you turn it off with the switch.

Indeed it does.
    But if you have an insulated tank, the temp drop is very slow, if you don't have an insulated tank, you should :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Hot water tanks used not to have thermostats fitted. The water just came up to the boil and would vent through an escape pipe. Early electric kettles were the same. They did not automatically switch off and if left unattended would boil dry and there was a spring which pushed the plug out of the kettle to save the element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Liar! liar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The joke comes about because for kids of a certain generation (I'm assuming early 80s to late 90s) the immersion being accidentally left on when heading out for the day or going to bed at night was a source of panic, anger or dismay from their parents, presumably due to the fact (or at least the perception) that you were essentially boiling money for no reason by doing so. Perhaps as others have said modern boilers have mechanisms to prevent this, a bit like modern chargers, but certainly the idea when I was growing up was that for every minute it was left on after the tank was fully heated and no one was going to be using it for a while, it was literally like flushing £20 notes down the jacks.

This would appear to have been a rather universal experience hence the memes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Indeed it does.
    But if you have an insulated tank, the temp drop is very slow, if you don't have an insulated tank, you should :)

I'd say everyone does these days, but I certainly remember older houses in the 90s having exposed metal tanks which would scorch your finger if you touched them, and these sort of external insulation "jackets" you would manually wrap around them like big sleeping bags :D Anyone else?

I'd say everyone does these days, but I certainly remember older houses in the 90s having exposed metal tanks which would scorch your finger if you touched them, and these sort of external insulation "jackets" you would manually wrap around them like big sleeping bags :D Anyone else?

Lagging jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Anyone who has grown up in a time of hot water on demand/ never having to wait for hot water for a shower etc won't get the "immersion joke", aren't ye lucky?! The "immersion joke" of the future will probably start out with some reference to "dial up internet" and progress to references to "rural broadband" etc; plus ca change etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Immersion making a thread like this...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Shiny wrote: »
    I used to live in an apartment where the heating element had some sort of design flaw where the thermal cut off would fail after 3 or 4 months of use. Nothing worse than waking up to a full tank of boiling hot AND cold water.

When the hot tank hits boiling point it has an emergency overflow into the cold tank which eventually because boiling too. Boiling water in the hot, cold taps in the bathroom, cistern full of boiling water, the shower a torture device too.

Disaster (best pronounced in a Dundalk accent).

Yep, my OH’s old apartment had a faulty immersion - I found that out to my cost by taking a scalding shower with no cold water on tap. :o

The guy that started the song of Ice and Fire can't be arsed finishing it.

He is a sick puppy, I mean he reminds me of someone that starts a really really cool song, sings the chorus and then irritably fails the final most important verse?

Basically a fake.

I never understood why Ygritte and the blonde Dragon babe never got the opportunity to get it together? I genuinely lost interest after that. It was kind of a waste of everyone's time, nearly as bad as that pile of shight about the plane crash victims on the island... another 7 years of unfulfilled expectation that I am never getting back?

Take your time, no one else will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Still like that in my house.

The problem with the spray on insulation is that you can't feel with your hand, how much hot water is in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Still like that in my house.

The problem with the spray on insulation is that you can't feel with your hand, how much hot water is in the tank.

You burrow s little hole in insulation about 30% down from top of tank and plant one of these in permanently.

Link

A bit of trial/error offsets and learning, but you will get there.
    After a few weeks, for me, above 50C and there is enough for bath.
    Above 36C is enough for 2 showers.

Advertisement