Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Customer Service - AVOID!

Options
  • 13-02-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭

Missus bought a coffee table from Harvey Norman back in November online. They rang us and told us there was delays and it had a 6-8 week lead time. We paid for table and agreed to wait.

About 3 weeks ago, it arrived and we collected it.

We were assembling it and one of the cam locks completely broke under no real pressure while screwing.. part felt very cheap and plasticky rather than metal.

We rang Harvey Norman and expressed concern for quality of table with it in mind. Packaged everything back up and wanted to return it. Said they'd issue a replacement part.. which we didn't want.. but a few emails back and forth later quoting our rights, the replacement part arrived and we assembled table. We essentially played nice essentially and gave them benefit of the doubt.

After assembling, we identified a few small scratches and quite a substantial chunk out of the side of it. We emailed them photos and they're now claiming we should have let them know of damage within 3 days of it arriving and that the damage was caused by "physical damage.. and is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty" and have closed our case.

Now in a place where my blood is boiling yet my patience is very thin.

Worst customer experience I've dealt with!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Why did you not notify them of the big chunk out of the side of it when you were assembling it first time around? Would have made getting it replaced a whole lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Homer wrote: »
    Why did you not notify them of the big chunk out of the side of it when you were assembling it first time around? Would have made getting it replaced a whole lot easier.
    We didn't get to that point of assembly to identify damage before the piece broke.

I didn't spot check all pieces for damage - maybe that's on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

I suppose I’m just playing devils advocate and thinking that’s what they thought. You told them you were assembling it and a piece broke so they are presuming you had it out of the box and mid assembly. I would try go in store and speak to the furniture manager. I have bought a lot of stuff of HN over the last 20 years and always found them very good to deal with even if I had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I suppose I’m just playing devils advocate and thinking that’s what they thought. You told them you were assembling it and a piece broke so they are presuming you had it out of the box and mid assembly.
    Understandable I suppose.
    I try go in store and speak to the furniture manager. I have bought a lot of stuff of HN over the last 20 years and always found them very good to deal with even if I had an issue.
    We dealt with store first and they indicated we needed to go through customer service online.

Being honest, the damage does look more like a manufacturer defect than anything which is why it annoys me given I indicated concern with quality of item after initial part broke. Wasn't a cheap table by any means

Advertisement