Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WebRTC TURN issues

Options
  • 13-02-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm trying to use obs.ninja it negotiates peer to peer webrtc connections using STUN and it falls back to TURN relays when everything isn't working.

Apparently 10% of people need TURN relays and I'm the 10%.

I've got an Eir FTTH connection and my router is OPNsense. I've been looking on the live log of the firewall and I can't see anything being blocked as the connection is being established, it just immediately uses TURN.

My thinking is that the STUN reply is telling it a peer to peer connection isn't possible.

I've been in touch with the guy who makes obs.ninja and he said my setup should work and just to be wary of anything I have blocking Google services(he uses Google public STUN) udp blocking (I'm not seeing much udp traffic being blocked on the firewall log)

I was testing between work and home, and home to friends houses all immediately going to TURN.

When I tried work to friends house I could get a peer to peer connection with 15 ms RTT and perfect quality.

Tried on multiple devices in the house and same thing.

Long story short has anyone an idea how I can get peer to peer webrtc working? Its something to do with symmetrical nat according to googling

I've tried a few online webrtc tests and pass mostly...

Next step I suppose is going back to the Eir provided router to see if its something on opnsense blocking it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Same issue taking OPNsense out of the equation and using the Eir provided router...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I set a hybrid outbound NAT rule (like automatic but I can add manual NAT rules)

WAN interface | pc ip address | * * * all ports | on the wan address with static port mapping

and using a few online tools I've gone from testing as Symmetric NAT to normal NAT

the issue was solved I was getting p2p video with a RTT of 10ms. For about 10 minutes and now the connections are falling back to TURN straight away again. Still saying Normal NAT on online tests though and the test is running against the same STUN pool that obs.ninja uses.

the plot thickens...

Advertisement