Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DualSense Controller Issues Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Terminator wrote: »
    I suspected it would be a drawn out affair so I have a new controller coming on Monday from Amazon.

Yeah best off I turned off the haptic feedback as that's what broke or really loosened up the R2 button

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Having a nightmare with Sony/DPD. Called 2 weeks ago to get my dualsense sorted, Sony got it sorted and sent me a label immediately. I tried to get DPD to pick it up every day that week but they kept telling me it wasn't on the system. Called Sony again last week to see what the problem was and they assured me that they had it fixed and it would be on DPD's system, cue another week of calling DPD to no avail.

Called Sony AGAIN this morning and they issued a new return order for me, have to call DPD again tomorrow to get it picked up, have to just hope it works this time.

All of this is made much much worse by the fact that only DPD customer service can help me and it takes a minimum of 30 mins to get through to them. With Sony, if you do not call them the second they open you will be an hour or more on hold. Entire situation is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Hope you got it sorted Markitron.

It took me an hour to get through to Sony yesterday and they arranged for it to be collected. Then a further 30 minutes to get through to DPD but it wasn't on their system. After seeing your post I asked the agent if he would mind checking for me today as I didn't want to spend another 90 minutes ringing both companies. So I got an email this morning confirming the collection and it is off to be repaired now.

Hope you got it sorted Markitron.

It took me an hour to get through to Sony yesterday and they arranged for it to be collected. Then a further 30 minutes to get through to DPD but it wasn't on their system. After seeing your post I asked the agent if he would mind checking for me today as I didn't want to spend another 90 minutes ringing both companies. So I got an email this morning confirming the collection and it is off to be repaired now.

They finally collected it yesterday thanks, I'm glad my troubles at least helped with yours a bit. I'm gonna leave some bulletpoints underneath here in case anyone else finds them helpful in getting their own controller repaired.

• If you got your controller from Smyths don't bother contacting them, they will insist it is Sony's problem. Save yourself the hassle and call Sony directly
    • Call 01 691 7379 for Sony support
    • You MUST call them as soon as they open at 10:30, even a slight delay will mean being on hold for over an hour
    • Dial 1 (x3) to get through to PS5 hardware support
    • You need the 17-digit serial code on the back of the dualsense, it is below the AR code and starts with 'G10'
    • They will send you a label at this point so box up the controller and attach it
    • One of the reps I spoke to tried to claim that I had to use the label sent to me and then drop it off at a post office - this is not true, DPD will collect it. Don't let them fobb you off
    • Wait until the next day and call DPD on 090 642 0500
    • Their lines open at 8am, call them straight away otherwise you are looking at a 30/40 mins wait
    • Make sure to mention it is a Cycleon collection
    • If they tell you it is not on their system, call Sony back immediately as the mistake is on their end. Make sure Sony issue you an entirely new label - this issue cost me 2 weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    [*]If you got your controller from Smyths don't bother contacting them, they will insist it is Sony's problem. Save yourself the hassle and call Sony directly

Just so everyone is aware that once your warranty is up then this is very much Smyths problem. Your contract is with them and your consumer rights protected by Irish and European law state that a product should last a reasonable time. A reasonable time should be the life time of a console for a controller. Hit them with the legal angle and if not happy ask to see a higher up.

And if that doesn't work there's the small claims court which you will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

My X and Circle buttons are sticking a little on mine. I just tried spraying some contact cleaner in there and mashing them. Seems OK now, I will see how it plays this evening.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just so everyone is aware that once your warranty is up then this is very much Smyths problem. Your contract is with them and your consumer rights protected by Irish and European law state that a product should last a reasonable time. A reasonable time should be the life time of a console for a controller. Hit them with the legal angle and if not happy ask to see a higher up.

And if that doesn't work there's the small claims court which you will win.

I was arguing with them over email for a week, got to the point where they told me to go back into a shop with it when lockdown ends and maybe the manager could decide to swap it out. Total nonsense of course.

With things the way they are, the fastest way to get your controller repaired or replaced is to go through the process outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

My square button has become sticky. I'll be returning to Smyths who can chase Sony themselves. I've had retailers try this kind of thing before. Speak to a manager and just quote the sale of goods and supply of services act. You are 100% protected under Irish law. Contract is with the retailer and not Sony. Granted, this process will be more difficult given you cannot go into the shop but just hold your ground and keep quoting the law.

This has been my first issue with the console. Annoying though cause I love the controller in general.

My square button has become sticky. I'll be returning to Smyths who can chase Sony themselves. I've had retailers try this kind of thing before. Speak to a manager and just quote the sale of goods and supply of services act. You are 100% protected under Irish law. Contract is with the retailer and not Sony. Granted, this process will be more difficult given you cannot go into the shop but just hold your ground and keep quoting the law.

This has been my first issue with the console. Annoying though cause I love the controller in general.
    Yeah controller is great but the issues surrounding it are annoying. A fair few people have issues with something that is only a few mths old. I got a new one 2 days ago from gamestop. Took about 3 wks all in all to get a new one from 1st contact to getting it in the post. Hopefully Sony try and fix the issues in question ASAP.

For people that want their controller sorted as soon as possible, as things stand the fastest way is to go through Sony. From when you make the first phone call you can possibly have it back in a little over a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Markitron wrote: »
    For people that want their controller sorted as soon as possible, as things stand the fastest way is to go through Sony. From when you make the first phone call you can possibly have it back in a little over a week.

I spent 10 mins in Harvey Normal telling them about the sale of goods act. Got my controller replaced. It wasn't a massive arguement, I just told them it is their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

nedd wrote: »
    I spent 10 mins in Harvey Normal telling them about the sale of goods act. Got my controller replaced. It wasn't a massive arguement, I just told them it is their responsibility.

The annoying thing though, is that the next person in with the same fault will still have to go through the rigmarole of explaining the same thing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

My PS5 arrived from Smyth’s yesterday. Spent yesterday doing the updates and game installs etc

Sat down properly to play tonight, spent maybe an hour on Astro and then played a bit of COD and the R2 button has just started to act up in the last few minutes

Wouldn’t have been much more than 2 hours playing time all in. I don’t have a spare controller either so not an ideal start

Flyer29 wrote: »
    My PS5 arrived from Smyth’s yesterday. Spent yesterday doing the updates and game installs etc

Sat down properly to play tonight, spent maybe an hour on Astro and then played a bit of COD and the R2 button has just started to act up in the last few minutes

Wouldn’t have been much more than 2 hours playing time all in. I don’t have a spare controller either so not an ideal start
    turn off the haptic feedback on the controller if you haven't already. I find playing shooters wrecks it. Might stop it from fully going and hopefully you can exchange it in meantime but contact smyths ASAP in regards to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

RGARDINR wrote: »
    turn off the haptic feedback on the controller if you haven't already. I find playing shooters wrecks it. Might stop it from fully going and hopefully you can exchange it in meantime but contact smyths ASAP in regards to it.

It may not be the cause, but those plastic worm gears they’ve used looked completely inadequate in the tear down. There’s seems to be far too much stress on the component for it not to be made of metal.

It may not be the cause, but those plastic worm gears they’ve used looked completely inadequate in the tear down. There’s seems to be far too much stress on the component for it not to be made of metal.
    Yeah they need to fix it for sure I wonder how many people have had issues with their controller so far. Even with my new one I'm worried R2 might still break on it.

Just received a replacement controller from Sony. Looks brand new (well so was mine) but anyway L2 Haptics are working as they should.

Just received a replacement controller from Sony. Looks brand new (well so was mine) but anyway L2 Haptics are working as they should.

I turned the haptics off especially as I play shooters so I think goes a lot faster then.

Mine was new as well, it seems that as soon as they receive the controller at their site in Dublin, they immediately dispatch a new one from France.

Better than getting someone else's controller but that will probably change as their refurbished stock goes up.

@ RGARDINR, I like the feature but I think I will adjust the intensity settings to medium, having it on full may be asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

My L2 I's after getting super sensitive just today . I got mine in d.i.d did anyone have issues with them ?

Better than getting someone else's controller but that will probably change as their refurbished stock goes up.

@ RGARDINR, I like the feature but I think I will adjust the intensity settings to medium, having it on full may be asking for trouble.

Yeah I think your best off I think it's great but after my R2 button went all loose I won't be using it again and have it turned off fully on the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

X button just started sticking, bought through amazon, assume contact Sony is best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

X button just started sticking, bought through amazon, assume contact Sony is best bet?

Amazon are usually excellent so I'd try them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Or you could blast it with a contact cleaner: https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/

Don’t use regular WD40.

I’ve used it as my X button was sticking also but after using the above contact cleaner on 2 occasions I haven’t had to use it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Or you could blast it with a contact cleaner: https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/

Don’t use regular WD40.

I’ve used it as my X button was sticking also but after using the above contact cleaner on 2 occasions I haven’t had to use it since.

Dunno man, the fact the controller is only 4 odd months old and has had little over 100 hours play, it simply shouldn't be bricking at this stage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Dunno man, the fact the controller is only 4 odd months old and has had little over 100 hours play, it simply shouldn't be bricking at this stage imo.

You’re right it shouldn’t be but it’s a solution if the same thing happens the replacement controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Been hit with a lot of right stick drift now, what channels have everyone else went through? I presume Sony, did it for a PS4 controller under warranty a year ago and was pretty painless then

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Has anyone tried to contact the support number the past few days? It keeps saying that the number is unobtainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭touchwood

Has anyone tried to contact the support number the past few days? It keeps saying that the number is unobtainable.

Just tried it now and I got the same message

Advertisement