Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Italy 6n 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Magnificent touchdown.

Completely illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah Jesus lads I know we all love Italy but you have to appreciate that's an outstanding finish from May.

he jumped over the tackle!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

No wonder Italy cannot compete with other 5 teams

They get rode by officials in every game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

This is brilliantly inept officiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

May has a history of doing that. That's absolutely jumping a tackle, that's not a dive for the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Wow, strange decision to allow that fosbury flop attempt. How far from the line can you 'dive' hoping you can slide in? Crazy

Ah Jesus lads I know we all love Italy but you have to appreciate that's an outstanding finish from May.

Against the rules of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

A jump would mean landing on your feet - a dive is hands / head first to the ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Really annoying thing about team sports. The 'big teams' nearly always get the benefit of the doubt. That last penalty against Italy was disgraceful.

Not calling May's knock on before the first try equally so.

Result..2 tries.

Beginning to think Joy Neville is a token gesture to gender and other issues, not meritocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

So England knocked on before every try, Italy 10 metres out and robbed by a hand in the ruck and given as a knock on.
    Disgraceful ineptitude from the TMO and the on field officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can’t remember any scenario in sport where consistently over one half of the encounter, one team got so shafted and ridden so routinely and proactively by pure out and out incompetence on behalf on not just the referee, but the whole team of officials.... at this level, it’s worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Off the top of my head I can count two or three occasions where that kind of hurdle is penalised. Kalamafoni and Elsom spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That wasn't jumping out of a tackle, it was a hail mary bundle job from the Italian winger and May just ran over him basically.

Quinlan suspected it in real time, then he didn't dispute it again from replay.

I repeat, magnificent touchdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

May jumped over the tackle. Penalty in my opinion. Our it another way. Doesn't matter how he landed. Bad call.

Arduach wrote: »
    Really annoying thing about team sports. The 'big teams' nearly always get the benefit of the doubt. That last penalty against Italy was disgraceful.

Result..2 tries.

Beginning to think Joy Neville is a token gesture to gender and other issues, not meritocracy.

I think the only solution would be to have multiple tmos analysing everything going on which would be a crap stop start game. No idea how you make refs balance their decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Referee errors in open play are one thing, but it's absurd that the May try was awarded after a review.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads, "jumping into the tackle" was always an issue as it was seen as dangerous play as you were lifting your knees and feet to where someone was putting their head.

Jonny may did not do anything dangerous and "jumping into the tackle" is mentioned nowhere in the law book.

It was a great finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That wasn't jumping out of a tackle, it was a hail mary bundle job from the Italian winger and May just ran over him basically.

Quinlan suspected it in real time, then he didn't dispute it again from replay.

I repeat, magnificent touchdown.

It wasn't blatantly jumping into a tackle.

I'm absolutely baffled by that. Youngs knocks on at the base of the ruck. Watch May again, he starts below the Italian wingers arms and leaps over them. Abysmal officiating. I'm afraid the ref is out of his depth. The touch judge and the TMO need the p45 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Result..2 tries.

While I agree there are things the TMO should have called, I don't think you can blame it all on joy. It has to be said the ref and his linesmen have missed plenty of obvious stuff too.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lads, "jumping into the tackle" was always an issue as it was seen as dangerous play as you were lifting your knees and feet to where someone was putting their head.

Jonny may did not do anything dangerous and "jumping into the tackle" is mentioned nowhere in the law book.

It was a great finish

He's so high in the air if the Italian tackles him it would be an English penalty. It was absolutely against the rules

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

AdamD wrote: »
    He's so high in the air if the Italian tackles him it would be an English penalty. It was absolutely against the rules

Which law??

Name it or shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Strumms wrote: »
    I can’t remember any scenario in sport where consistently over one half of the encounter, one team got so shafted and ridden so routinely and proactively by pure out and out incompetence on behalf on not just the referee, but the whole team of officials.... at this level, it’s worrying.

This is a sport that schedules it’s premier competition in such a way that consistently and obviously disadvantages lower ranked teams. This is a sport that knocked an extensive proposal to give more teams a shot at moving up the tiers on the head because it would potentially disadvantage those hanging on at the top tier.

It’s just the way it goes in rugby sometimes - the bigger traditional powers get the benefit of the doubt all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely nobody talking about this fellas.

It didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

Name it or shut up

Charming fellow aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

There is literally no reference in the rules regarding players diving for the line. And I don't think anyone could possibly argue that what May did was "dangerous play".

It's a perfectly legal finish.

Lost Ormond want to opine?

TV3 or Virgin Media, or whatever they call themselves, won't even show the knock on for the first English try.

Look it's not all the refs fault, Italy have made a lot of errors, but he has had a profound effect on the scoreline.

Which law??

Name it or shut up

Dangerous play

There is literally no reference in the rules regarding players diving for the line. And I don't think anyone could possibly argue that what May did was "dangerous play".

So how does the Italian tackle him without getting done for tackling a player in the air?

Result..2 tries.

If you can’t make the right calls, looking on a monitor with the ability to demand copious angles, options, of slow motion replays to enable you to make the correct decision....you have no business being there quite simply... she is atrocious. Italians will just get on a plane tonight..” look, what can we do we were buttfûcked, multiple times “... no sanctions for the official, same again, next year, through the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

testtech05 wrote: »
    While I agree there are things the TMO should have called, I don't think you can blame it all on joy. It has to be said the ref and his linesmen have missed plenty of obvious stuff too.

Real time V slow motion replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

I can't believe the obvious knock ons have been missed by the officiating team.
    Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

adam240610 wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgrace of a game, bad for the sport

Leave out the hysterics
    Deub wrote: »
    Half time. England 8 - Italy 8 - Ref 12
    Dont embarrass yourself

Result..2 tries.

Whats that based on and Joy Neville in TMO seems to get involved far more than many other TMOs do.
    Referee errors in open play are one thing, but it's absurd that the May try was awarded after a review.
    It isnt. What law is broken?

It was a great finish
    Spot on

Its perfectly legal. Great score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So you can hurdle a tackle as long as it's not dangerous?
    Right.

TV3 or Virgin Media, or whatever they call themselves, won't even show the knock on for the first English try.

Look it's not all the refs fault, Italy have made a lot of errors, but he has had a profound effect on the scoreline.

Noticed that, then turned them off, no one of the panel / production team though it relevant, Jesus, TV3/ Virgin though. Who is surprised.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

So you can hurdle a tackle as long as it's not dangerous?
    Right.

I don't get it either.
    Just because he happened to not knee the tackler in the face doesn't change the fact that he jumped over the tackler, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So you can hurdle a tackle as long as it's not dangerous?Right.
    He didnt do that. He was tip toing the line and went into air to remain in the field of play and as he was going for a score. thats legal.

Looked like Lawes went straight past the ball onto the ground.

Brilliant scramble defence from England on the break there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

AdamD wrote: »
    So how does the Italian tackle him without getting done for tackling a player in the air?

How does one do that for a regular dive? Do you want to ban diving for the line completely?

• Advertisement

Leave out the hysterics

Dont embarrass yourself

Whats that based on and Joy Neville in TMO seems to get involved far more than many other TMOs do.

It isnt. What law is broken?

Spot on

Its perfectly legal. Great score

Go back to Hoganstand, you'd spot you a mile away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

Think to Farrell’s credit he was trying to stop the English reaction

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

He didnt do that. He was tip toing the line and went into air to remain in the field of play and as he was going for a score. thats legal.

Seems a very flimsy interpretation...if there wasn't a tackle coming in he wouldn't have been jumping to stay in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah I think that's right...he was trying to get the England players off, yet Adamson gives him a ticking off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

First half dozen rucks in this half England sealed off almost all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Interesting to see England get so annoyed about a bit of ribbing after a penalty given against Itoje..... They aren't exactly shy in doing it themselves

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Monty Ioane is a quality winger, in fairness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Which law??

Name it or shut up

9.27: Contrary to sportsmanship. Preventing an attempt to tackle would constitute this.

9.11: Dangerous play could also cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

razorblunt wrote: »
    First half dozen rucks in this half England sealed off almost all of them.

They do it every single time

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How does Farrell get away with the way he talks to the referees?

Advertisement