Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from Spain

Options
  • 13-02-2021 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi folks

I have a campervam identified in Spain. I am ready to buy, I have a company that will take it on the ferry and I can pick up in Rosslare.

I read somewhere about having to be a Spanish resident before you can buy it.

I have a friend that could buy it for me, and get it as far as the ferry, but then not sure how the paperwork will work from there?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Bump

Anyone?
    bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi folks

I have a campervam identified in Spain. I am ready to buy, I have a company that will take it on the ferry and I can pick up in Rosslare.

I read somewhere about having to be a Spanish resident before you can buy it.

I have a friend that could buy it for me, and get it as far as the ferry, but then not sure how the paperwork will work from there?

Anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Bump

Anyone?

No experience sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭niloc1951

CLICK HERE for the local Spanish rules, other than that it's the same as importing from anywhere else in the EU.
    You take it to a designated NCT centre and they will examine it and forward their paperwork to Revenue who will issue a bill for VRT which will be 13.5% of what they think its open market selling price would be here, what you actually paid for it is irrelevant.
    After you pay over the cheque an Irish Vehicle Registration Certificate and Registration Number will be issued.

A word of caution.
    There are lots of scams out there so I wouldn't part with any money until I could physically see the 'van and its current registration paperwork. The only alternative is if you have a person looking after your interests at the point of purchase who has a proven record of competence and trustworthiness.
    A) you don't want to be stuck with a 'van with expensive problems to be fixed
    B) you don't to be sold a stolen 'van
    C) you don't want your cash to be taken and no 'van delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Hi all

Thanks for replies, I got sorted in the end. I have family in Spain and they were able to get all the info they needed in the end.

Thanks

Advertisement