Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Sale - Snagging after Move In??

Options
  • 13-02-2021 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Folks, I am currently in a stage where the contracts are signed and the apartment is completed, but just awaiting snagging. The builder's solicitor suggests we close the sale, and can get the snagging done later on after moving in (because of the delays related to construction lockdown).

We have got positive reviews from the other folks who are in that apartment about the construction etc., but just wondering how safe it is to get the snagging done after moving in?

Any pros/cons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If the builders are still on site then you’ll probably be fine. If they’re gone, then best of luck with that... Unless there’s anything significant then it probably wouldn’t stop me from going through with it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,551 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pros, you move in quicker.
    Cons, you may have nagging bits needing completion which could take months as builder will be in no hurry to complete as they have their payment.

Have you had a walkthrough the apartment to see if anything major is outstanding? Check heating, water for leaks, airtight etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clayfarm1234

Pros, you move in quicker.
    Cons, you may have nagging bits needing completion which could take months as builder will be in no hurry to complete as they have their payment.

Have you had a walkthrough the apartment to see if anything major is outstanding? Check heating, water for leaks, airtight etc?

We have seen the apartment few times - but havent checked things like water/heating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Suggest holding back on a few grand until snagging is complete.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Once they paid, they ain’t coming back to fix anything.
    Snag first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As you’ve said this is coming from the builders solicitor? They’ve one job and it’s to receive the payment from your solicitor.

Request no transfer of funds until snagging is complete. The second they’ve their money it will be like pulling teeth to get anything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

A friend of mine closed their sale before completing their snag list. They had both small and big issues that needed fixing for months after moving in. And this was with the builders still on site and pre corona.

I personally wouldn't do it, although I would say that it more likely to lead to a frustrating situation than a costly one as they will still likley fix any big issues, but the smaller issues you might be left with.

Advertisement