Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatari Royal appears to ignore Female Official at FIFA World Club Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/status/1360522177460723712

How in the blue hell can FIFA justify staging the world cup there, there would be outcry if this happened because of a persons colour or sexuality.
    Should be boycotted

$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

All about the $$$$$, will still go ahead. Ireland will be forced to boycott as they probably will not qualify:) Nobody should support these regimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

who snubbed who exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kowloonkev wrote: »
    who snubbed who exactly?

I dare say it was made clear to the official to not so much as make eye contact with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/status/1360522177460723712

How in the blue hell can FIFA justify staging the world cup there, there would be outcry if this happened because of a persons colour or sexuality.
    Should be boycotted

There's a tweet further down which explains that in their culture it is disrespectful for a man to touch a woman from outside his own family.

But the person who tweeted got the attention they wanted. That's the main thing, I suppose.

We have seen how the RC church along with FFFG and Labour have treated women here down the years and yet loads of Irish people are still members of those organisations and/or vote for them. Easier to get all jumped up about things far away though than to challenge problems closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Physical contact between the opposite sexes is forbidden in islam, unless related to the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What happened to the girl in the dark hair, where is the clip of her walking past?
    Are we getting the truth here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

What an ignorant thread title.

A nothing story but Qatar & the UAE are serious exploiters and human rights are nothing there dependiing on where you're from and what you're doing there.
    Shower of primitive yet wealthy ignoramuses.

NIMAN wrote: »
    What happened to the girl in the dark hair, where is the clip of her walking past?
    Are we getting the truth here?
    I just noticed that, strange one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Augeo wrote: »
    A nothing story but the UAE are serious exploiters and human rights are nothing there dependiing on where you're from and what you're doing there.

Qatar isn't the UAE

I never put my hand out to greet a Muslim gentleman here. Certainly made easier now with Covid :pac:
    I am surprised that he didn't acknowledge her by putting his hand to his heart coz that's often the way the men will greet women here.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Qatar isn't the UAE

I never put my hand out to greet a Muslim gentleman here. Certainly made easier now with Covid :pac:
    I am surprised that he didn't acknowledge her by putting his hand to his heart coz that's often the way the men will greet women here.
    that would have been the smart thing to do given the Islam laws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Best thing anyone can do is just not watch it. I've zero interest in it, even if IReland qualify. It's a farce that it ever went there.

An australian world cup would have been absolutely brilliant.

Qatar isn't the UAE

Indeed apologies, I'll rephrase.... UAE & Qatar are serious exploiters and human rights are nothing there dependiing on where you're from and what you're doing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Weepsie wrote: »
    Best thing anyone can do is just not watch it. I've zero interest in it, even if IReland qualify. It's a farce that it ever went there.

it would be good to go to. but it would not be good for the majority of tv viewers of football and i think that would go against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There's a tweet further down which explains that in their culture it is disrespectful for a man to touch a woman from outside his own family.

That's a very strict, borderline, fundamentalist view of Islam that the Qatari's are using by not shaking her hand. They use the 'culture' thing when it suits them. And the same people ignore the Koran and its rules when it suits them too.

I lived in Muslim majority countries in Africa for a few years and there's no issue with women and men shaking hands, or mixing with each other.

Here's the Emir of Qatar shaking hands with a woman when it suits him:

BN-EO678_gerqat_P_20140917110040.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

KevRossi wrote: »
    That's a very strict, borderline, fundamentalist view of Islam that the Qatari's are using by not shaking her hand. They use the 'culture' thing when it suits them. And the same people ignore the Koran and its rules when it suits them too.

I lived in Muslim majority countries in Africa for a few years and there's no issue with women and men shaking hands, or mixing with each other.

Some muslims strictly adhere to teaching of the koran and some don't. Just like how some cathlics are strict and others aren't. But just because done muslims are happy to shake hands with women doesn't mean all muslims should be forced to.

Augme wrote: »
    Some muslims strictly adhere to teaching of the koran and some don't. Just like how some cathlics are strict and others aren't. But just because done muslims are happy to shake hands with women doesn't mean all muslims should be forced to.

Yeah my colleague is Muslim and sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. I let him take the lead. He is quite devout so I reckon it depends on where they are in the Quran and it certainly doesn't happen at Ramadan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Weepsie wrote: »

What exactly would have been brilliant about it ?
    For TV viewing it would have been a pain because of the time difference.
    For anyone hoping to go to it it would have been a long and expensive trip.

It would have been fine for the FIFA expanding it's reach box ticking exercise but nothing else.

Of all the 2022 bids the USA would have been the one that would have made the most sense, but sure we know why it didn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

votecounts wrote: »
    All about the $$$$$, will still go ahead. Ireland will be forced to boycott as they probably will not qualify:) Nobody should support these regimes.

Is there any country capable of holding the tournament and also interested to which doesn't cross some line?

Perhaps you would be restricted to a limited selection of an old guard of Western European countries. Even then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Qatar isn't the UAE

Yep, a nod of the head, a gesture, something.
    But he didn't even look towards her.
    If a player blanked a ref like that, they'd be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

kowloonkev wrote: »
    it would be good to go to.

42 degress or so. Illegal to be gay (IIRC) and i'm pretty sure you can't drink in the streets.

Sounds like an absolutely nightmare to go to. For anybody that is Gay, likes having a few beers in the street at these evens and that heat would ruin people.

42 degress or so. Illegal to be gay (IIRC) and i'm pretty sure you can't drink in the streets.

Sounds like an absolutely nightmare to go to. For anybody that is Gay, likes having a few beers in the street at these evens and that heat would ruin people.

I'm in the UAE and ****ing love it. No way I'm coming back to Ireland any time soon. I know a few gay people here and they just keep it under the radar.

Their laws on homosexuality are wrong. I agree. But you can't call it a nightmare when you have never been here.

paulbok wrote: »
    Yep, a nod of the head, a gesture, something.
    But he didn't even look towards her.
    If a player blanked a ref like that, they'd be banned.

Yeah, very rude.

But that could be anyone from any religion just being a dick. People go straight to the Muslim bashing when it is a sexism thing a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Their laws on homosexuality are wrong. I agree. But you can't call it a nightmare when you have never been here.

I was referring to attending the event not living there full time. I also gave reasons as to why I think it would be a nightmare for certain people i.e heat/gay/ drinking at the event etc. In my mind there's no way that this event is going to be the same as previous ones in terms of the banter in the streets etc. What happens if two drunk lads kiss?Jail time?

''I know a few gay people here and they just keep it under the radar.'' Like even that alone would put me off going. I'm not gay, but stuff like that really irks me.

It's also a bit like saying I can't call living in Antarctica a nightmare because I've never been. I don't need to go to know i'd freeze my bollix off and hate it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why should anyone have to keep their sexuality under the radar? As if that's ok.

I was referring to attending the event not living there full time. I also gave reasons as to why I think it would be a nightmare for certain people i.e heat/gay/ drinking at the event etc. In my mind there's no way that this event is going to be the same as previous ones in terms of the banter in the streets etc. What happens if two drunk lads kiss?Jail time?

''I know a few gay people here and they just keep it under the radar.'' Like even that alone would put me off going. I'm not gay, but stuff like that really irks me.

It's also a bit like saying I can't call living in Antarctica a nightmare because I've never been. I don't need to go to know i'd freeze my bollix off and hate it :pac:

Ah ok, missed your context. Yeah, not exactly prime party material after a good win or a sorrowful defeat! But on the flip side, the control over alcohol makes it a pretty safe event to attend.

Also in December it gets ****ing cold!! Games at 10pm for example it will be played in16 to 20 degrees. Perfect football weather. Won't be more than 24 to 26 degrees during the day for the tournament. Sure I'm still wearing under armour in the evenings! :pac:
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Why should anyone have to keep their sexuality under the radar? As if that's ok.

Yeah it's not ok.

OP post is nonsense. Edited nonsense. For shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

In Qatar its probably a matter of life and death, so probably best to humour them for the duration.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    In Qatar its probably a matter of life and death, so probably best to humour them for the duration.

The point is an international tournament like the world cup should not be given to a country where one needs to keep their sexuality secret for fear of being murdered by the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sure didn't gay people have to do it in Ireland until recent times?
    Was it not illegal in Ireland until 1993?

Its not as if we are so far ahead of them in the great scheme of things.

You can't measure all cultures on the same timescale. I'm sure they will get there, but it'll take a while longer than the West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The point is an international tournament like the world cup should not be given to a country where one needs to keep their sexuality secret for fear of being murdered by the government.

Absolutely. But that horse has bolted.

That's a full generation ago at this stage.

The sentence wasn't death.

Although I know the law was in place until the early 90's was it actually enforced. I'm pretty sure there were openly gay people in ireland in the 80's.

We weren't given the rights to host the biggest sporting event on the planet.

People go to big sports tournaments like World Cups, Euros, Olympics etc as much for a holiday and to see someplace new as they do for the sporting event itself.

I was at the 2002 WC, it was a great holiday to Japan interspersed with a few soccer games.

I was at Euro 2012 for a day trip, but there were thousands, from many countries, there for a holiday.

WC 2022 offers nothing for the fan who wants the mix of holiday and sport.
    There is feck all to see in the county itself, there will be no congregating like you get in the streets and squares of Europe.
    It's in winter, right close to Christmas, an expensive time for people as it is.

The Qatari's will pack the stadiums with migrants on slave wages and conditions to make an atmosphere (they don't have the population base to do it themselves), but that will be it.

If Ireland qualifies I'd be in no hurry to head to it.

People go to big sports tournaments like World Cups, Euros, Olympics etc as much for a holiday and to see someplace new as they do for the sporting event itself.

I was at the 2002 WC, it was a great holiday to Japan interspersed with a few soccer games.

I was at Euro 2012 for a day trip, but there were thousands, from many countries, there for a holiday.

WC 2022 offers nothing for the fan who wants the mix of holiday and sport.
    There is feck all to see in the county itself, there will be no congregating like you get in the streets and squares of Europe.
    It's in winter, right close to Christmas, an expensive time for people as it is.

The Qatari's will pack the stadiums with migrants on slave wages and conditions to make an atmosphere (they don't have the population base to do it themselves), but that will be it.

If Ireland qualifies I'd be in no hurry to head to it.

I think you'll be surprised. Winter break for schools in the gulf is the same time (3 to 4 weeks holidays here), and it's no coincidence that the UAE and Saudi opened up to Qatar 2 weeks ago. Its such a short flight from Dubai and Abu Dhabi that many countries will stay here and fly to Qatar on match day. Many fans will do the same from here. If Ireland are there then I'm gonna do a day trip.

• Advertisement

I think you'll be surprised. Winter break for schools in the gulf is the same time (3 to 4 weeks holidays here), and it's no coincidence that the UAE and Saudi opened up to Qatar 2 weeks ago. Its such a short flight from Dubai and Abu Dhabi that many countries will stay here and fly to Qatar on match day. Many fans will do the same from here. If Ireland are there then I'm gonna do a day trip.

That's a good point, I've never been so I never really considered that.
    Make UAE the holiday and just go to Qatar for the games.

That's a good point, I've never been so I never really considered that.
    Make UAE the holiday and just go to Qatar for the games.

Yep. It'd easy to do some country hopping regardless.

Advertisement