Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental agency says they can't see who has paid and who hasn't

Options
  • 13-02-2021 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

When one of my flatmates moved out there was a delay that caused confusion with the paying of our rent.

There is an amount in arrears and none of us knows who owes the money.

I've asked the agency to tell the person who owes the money to pay the rental agency says that they don't have that information. I don't think that is true?

Everyone says they don't owe it.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

cloudatlas wrote: »
    When one of my flatmates moved out there was a delay that caused confusion with the paying of our rent.

I've asked the agency to tell the person who owes the money to pay the rental agency says that they don't have that information. I don't think that is true?

What can I do?

There's a few things we need to understand, does every tenant have their own agreement with the agency or is there a head tenant?
    This situation seems odd. Every house share I've lived in the rent has to be transferred in one block to the agent and it was up to one tenant to collect from the others.

If everyone has their own agreement then I'd be letting the agency pursue it (maybe it's them that's made the mistake, some of these outfits are very unprofessional).

Seems like a mess though if everyone is paying their chunk separate and they won't provide any info to help resolve it. Of course the agent knows who's paid into their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There's a few things we need to understand, does every tenant have their own agreement with the agency or is there a head tenant?
    This situation seems odd. Every house share I've lived in the rent has to be transferred in one block to the agent and it was up to one tenant to collect from the others.

If everyone has their own agreement then I'd be letting the agency pursue it (maybe it's them that's made the mistake, some of these outfits are very unprofessional).

Seems like a mess though if everyone is paying their chunk separate and they won't provide any info to help resolve it. Of course the agent knows who's paid into their account.

It's a joint tenancy. One person was paying on behalf of everyone but they were the one that left and the new person who arrived into the flat was very vocal about paying separately so we started to do that.

It is a mess and that's why I need help from the agency. They provided us with the 'rent book', but obviously we cannot see the account information. Since then another person has left. It's not a good situation and the rental agency are refusing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course the agent knows who's paid into their account.

How does the agent know? All they can see is whatever reference information the tenants put on their payment, which may be limited.

This is why some agents won't accept separate payments, and insist on one payment to cover everyone.

The only way to resolve it is for the housemates to show each other their bank statements with transfer transactions on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

cloudatlas wrote: »

What can I do?

If they are claiming there is money due to them it is up to them to produce documentation to prove that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭Deeec

elperello wrote: »
    If they are claiming there is money due to them it is up to them to produce documentation to prove that.

I'm sure they can show an account of the amounts received. However if is not their responsibility to keep record of which people paid their share. That was the responsibility of the housemate collecting the rent from each tenant. He/She surely just handed a total amount over to the agency.

• Advertisement

Deeec wrote: »
    I'm sure they can show an account of the amounts received. However if is not their responsibility to keep record of which people paid their share. That was the responsibility of the housemate collecting the rent from each tenant. He/She surely just handed a total amount over to the agency.

She was supposed to move out at the end of the month but it was delayed until mid way through the month so she had stopped paying it at the end of that month, we had stopped paying her, there was confusion and a new person moved in.

Yes probably showing each other our bank accounts is the way forward but I think that may cause conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭Deeec

If you are still on good terms with the girl you could ask her if she knows where the difference lies . Do you all trust that she was handing over everything collected to the agency. Is the discrepancy recent or dating back a few months? If this doesn't solve it get everyone to do up a list of payments they made as per their bank ac. Hope you get it sorted soon.

If you are still on good terms with the girl you could ask her if she knows where the difference lies . Do you all trust that she was handing over everything collected to the agency. Is the discrepancy recent or dating back a few months? If this doesn't solve it get everyone to do up a list of payments they made as per their bank ac. Hope you get it sorted soon.

It's not her fault. She paid her part for the half month herself (I believe her). Then there is a question over the other two people. When did the new person start to pay and did the other tenant pay. I just don't know. It's not recent, it's historical.

Yeah I might just have to that cause I didn't know what the agency can see in their bank account. Tis' a mess alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They should be able to show that money is owed.

When they do that the tenants can address the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How does the agent know? All they can see is whatever reference information the tenants put on their payment, which may be limited.

This is why some agents won't accept separate payments, and insist on one payment to cover everyone.

The only way to resolve it is for the housemates to show each other their bank statements with transfer transactions on then.

Presumably the payments were she as a transfer, SEPA payments carry the name of the payee, or at least all mine do both in and out.

Of course if the renters paid by lodging across the desk in a bank then there would be no reference. But who does that these days?

The only reason the agent isn't helping resolve this is either laziness and/or some misinterpretation of that old reliable get out of doing work clause GDPR.

But if you can't resolve it, then collectively everyone on the lease is responsible to make it good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement