Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smokey & the Bandit appreciation thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭roadmaster

fryup wrote: »
    did they?

Yeah i forget what she said but it was along the lines please be aware of this movie....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

When I was in the area, I made sure to drive through Texarkana. It’s a split city, on a state line. Unfortunately, it looks nothing like the movie, which isn’t surprising as it was filmed in Georgia.

A couple years ago, they made a Bandit Edition trans am, based on a Camaro. 840hp, and signed by Reynolds. Only made 77, sadly. They go for about $200k.

New-Bandit-Trans-AM.jpg

The interesting thing, though, if you look up the original Trans Am, the power output was anemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's up on Netflix for all to enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

A couple years ago, they made a Bandit Edition trans am, based on a Camaro. 840hp, and signed by Reynolds. Only made 77, sadly. They go for about $200k.

But the Trans Am was made by Pontiac, Camaros are made by Chevy :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Saw it for first time ever.

Not particularly funny, like an extended Dukes of Hazzard. Had to have subtitles on, I can see why rednecks liked it. Terrible nonsense plot too.

Some b1tch, boooy!! How you only seeing this first time? You did not come outta this thread's loins boy...

Coincidentally caught a great 15-20 minute documentary on the making of Smokey on YouTube over the weekend. Very very enjoyable for those who appreciate the film.

Never seen it? Some b1tch, boooy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

“Well the more wheels I got the better I like it,bugity bugity bugity”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

roadmaster wrote: »
    At the risk of being told I am an out off touch redneck can someone tell me what was so offensive about the movie that RTE ran a warning before they aired it?
    fryup wrote: »
    did they?
    roadmaster wrote: »
    Yeah i forget what she said but it was along the lines please be aware of this movie....

well what were they doing showing it unedited on a saturday afternoon?? bit daft

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sky King wrote: »
    But the Trans Am was made by Pontiac, Camaros are made by Chevy :confused:

Both owned by GM, and they tended to share the same underpinnings.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F_platform

The difference was really more in the trim. A bit like the Mercury Cougar being the same underlying vehicle as the Ford Mustang (or later Torino), the Cadillac XLR being a refined Chevy Corvette, or Infiniti G35 being a snazzier Nissan 350z.

The last official Trans Ams were built around 2003, so there is a cottage industry in converting the current generation Camaro into Trans Ams as if Pontiac were still in business.

https://transamworldwide.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Smoggy And The Dipwit is a classic for sure. Not entirely sure of it's impact 20 seconds after the movie ends though. Doesn't last long, it doesn't leave a mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Here Burt recalls a hairy moment while filming....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Buford T. Justice:
    There is no way, NO way that you came from my loins. The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch your momma in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Junior: Daddy my hat blew off
    Buford: I hope your god damn head was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

That there's a texas bubblegum machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Just stoping off at the choke and puke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Great film, and great theme song by The Snowman Jerry Reed :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The circus must be in town:

The truck driver is Joe Klecko, former player with the New York Jets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Feisar wrote: »
    Dunno why but I want to go watch Roadhouse. Tits, roundhouse kicks and Sam Elliott.

another great redneck flick, but not family friendly like Smokey

wannabe tough guy "what if someone calls my momma a whore"

Dalton "is she?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Nothing has aged well. Political correctness has sucked the fun out of everything. You cant have sexual tension, demonise an social group or populations and you have to token member from every representative group!!!
    F-*lorry honk* off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement