Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a new pc, please help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

Alright gents, looks like I'm ready.

Aaaand it's dead.

dead as a dodo, zero signs of life when I press power button on case.

Oh sweet jebus, we ahve life.
    bios updated,
    oh screen comes to life...
    "There is no GOP (Graphics Outpus Protocol) support detected in this card. 'Bios CSM/UEFI Mode' settings in bios will be changed to 'CSM'

Press F1 to run setup
    Press F2 to run cointinue."

• Advertisement

Got to move the memory.

Posted from Ryzen :)
    Unfortunately connectivity is an issue, currently using ethernet/wireless to connect to router.
    I have a TPLink wireless card but it doesn't seem to fit on this MB.
    Any opinions on what to get next?

There she is.
    The stock cooler tends to whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jaysus did you sleep at all? :pac:
    I have a TPLink wireless card but it doesn't seem to fit on this MB.
    Any opinions on what to get next?

Is it perhaps so ancient that it's PCI and not PCI-Express?
    As for a new card, get whatever has Wi-Fi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0/5.1: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=nwpcie&xf=14072_WLAN+802ax11

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Jaysus did you sleep at all? :pac:

Sure did, slept easier when it was running :)

Is it perhaps so ancient that it's PCI and not PCI-Express?
    As for a new card, get whatever has Wi-Fi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0/5.1: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=nwpcie&xf=14072_WLAN+802ax11

Alrighty.

Someone mentioned the PSU should be my next improvement, what do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I gotta say the naked CPU with the 24-PIN power connected gives me an uneasy feeling :D

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I gotta say the naked CPU with the 24-PIN power connected gives me an uneasy feeling :D

I accidentally removed the CPU with fresh coat of paste using the cooler (I must have not locked it down right). Thankfully no damage.

There's a dickie power on switch on this ol' case, has given me a few panicky moments.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

J_V_C wrote: »
    I accidentally removed the CPU with fresh coat of paste using the cooler (I must have not locked it down right). Thankfully no damage.

There's a dickie power on switch on this ol' case, has given me a few panicky moments.

Been there and done that, then after a moment of terror I uttered a large number of obscene terms as it was my brand new Athlon 64 back in 2003 it happened to.

The AMD sockets provide horizontal grip against the pins, but it's still possible to pull the CPU straight up vertically and out of the socket. You may want to get into the habit of twisting the heatsink to break the seal when removing it, rather than risk a repeat.

Spear wrote: »
    Been there and done that, then after a moment of terror I uttered a large number of obscene terms as it was my brand new Athlon 64 back in 2003 it happened to.

The AMD sockets provide horizontal grip against the pins, but it's still possible to pull the CPU straight up vertically and out of the socket. You may want to get into the habit of twisting the heatsink to break the seal when removing it, rather than risk a repeat.

Yep.
    So far the machine is running fine: dodgy power switch on the case, wireless mouse laggy. I think I've got a handle on the dust.

Update.
    Well it purred like a pussy for about two weeks.
    Then I tried to overclock.
    Now it's on its way back to Deutchland.

I think the MB, CPU and RAM worked a dream, great choice from poster up-thread - thanks again.

Stepping back down from a Ryzen 3600xt to an Intel Centrino Duo is like being lobotomized.

Advertisement