Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window openings

• 14-02-2021 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

My double glazed windows were fitted well over 20 years ago..They are a metal frame which are probably about 1.5 " thick (deep)
    The walls are two 4" walls with I think 3" gap between . The insulation usis the white polystyrene type...
    I'm just wondering would the gap ie the 3" have been filled in before the windows were fitted of what was the practice back then.
    I notice with recent wind there are a lot of draught s around the windows and the window boards a are freezing cold...
    I interested to know what's in there...
    Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Removing the window board will give you a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭me4many

muffler wrote: »
    Removing the window board will give you a good idea
    It certainly would but a rather extreme measure.

me4many wrote: »
    It is but you will see everything then. Alternatively remove a small bit of the plaster at the side which will show if the cavity has been closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No offence. But unless you have x-ray vision how do you intend to find the answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

At best there might be a timber batten to close the cavity or expanded foam. Air tightness not a priority back then. Would sealing up around the window frame inside and outside help and around internal cill ? Plaster can shrink away from window frame too over time which can leave a slight gap.
    Otherwise you are into more invasive opening up or thermal imaging / leakage testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭me4many

listermint wrote: »
    No offence. But unless you have x-ray vision how do you intend to find the answer...
    No offence taken at all..
    The question was really more about what was the practice at the time viz 20 plus years ago.. People on here might have been window installers or maybe worked on sites etc.
    Tks.

No offence taken at all..
    The question was really more about what was the practice at the time viz 20 plus years ago.. People on here might have been window installers or maybe worked on sites etc.
    Tks.
    There is no way of knowing. On my travels over the years I have seen the cavity closed with blocks, bricks, strips of Aeroboard etc and wait for it ... newspapers :eek:

One of the more common methods I seen was an L shapped block being used which was a fairly standard method but as I said you could expect to find anything in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Tbh, whatever is in there has no impact on what you are feeling wrt air leakage at the window frame to wall junction.

You have two options working from the inside if not replacing your windows;

1. Remove the reveal plaster and window board. Using proprietary air tight mastics, tapes and/or membrane, seal the frame to the masonry and make good the reveals and window board to hide all the air tight materials. Decorate and job done.

2. Clean out the gap between frame and wall/window board and fill with a good quality flexible decorators caulk. The issue with this is that it's not permanent and will probably need to be revisited every other year because of differential movement of the different materials. Also don't forget about underneath the window boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

MicktheMan wrote: »
    2. Clean out the gap between frame and wall/window board and fill with a good quality flexible decorators caulk. The issue with this is that it's not permanent and will probably need to be revisited every other year because of differential movement of the different materials. Also don't forget about underneath the window boards.

I was looking at doing something similar myself shortly... would caulk or silicone be the way to go? or much of a muchness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Silicone wont take paint, caulk will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Gingerino

Yeah, it is better to remove the window board and check out

Advertisement