Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Average V Median wage Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Read this for more on Russia's taxation miracle. We'd all be much better off if we took this approach.

https://www.heritage.org/europe/commentary/russias-flat-tax-miracle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its everything, increasing the size of the pie doesnt necessarily mean everyone's bit gets bigger, if you dont try share out those individual bits more, everyones securities become undermined, including the wealthy, the uk and the us are perfect examples of this

https://wid.world/country/russian-federation/

Look at income inequality since 2001 - stopped going up. Everyone gets more take home pay too. What you are saying is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Read this for more on Russia's taxation miracle. We'd all be much better off if we took this approach.

https://www.heritage.org/europe/commentary/russias-flat-tax-miracle

so russias society and economy is far more stable and people are happier because of this?

https://wid.world/country/russian-federation/

Look at income inequality since 2001 - stopped going up. Everyone gets more take home pay too. What you are saying is wrong.

what bits am in saying are wrong?

Don’t several EU countries have flat taxes and they are not basket cases?

The middle in Ireland gets taxed a lot because they are a captive audience, rich presumably can move about.

As for Renua didn’t they have funny points of view on abortion and EU? Not that policies parties claim at elections matter, it’s easy to promise the moon.

Well being a member of the EU is not a positive thing at all. A discussion for another day perhaps.

• Advertisement

Well being a member of the EU is not a positive thing at all. A discussion for another day perhaps.

how so?

what bits am in saying are wrong?

Why do you need to give your money to the government for them to share it out and waste it in the process. Allowing everyone to keep more of their wages... What's not to like? And you tax the very rich even more.

how so?

I'd prefer not to derail the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,053 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Don’t several EU countries have flat taxes and they are not basket cases?

The middle in Ireland gets taxed a lot because they are a captive audience, rich presumably can move about.
    The rich could also move about to avoid a flat tax. Just sayin'.

Why do you need to give your money to the government for them to share it out and waste it in the process. Allowing everyone to keep more of their wages... What's not to like? ...........

It wouldn't suit the folk with the hand out who pay fnck all tax anyway you see.

• Advertisement

Why do you need to give your money to the government for them to share it out and waste it in the process. Allowing everyone to keep more of their wages... What's not to like? And you tax the very rich even more.

do you really think other methods such as the so called 'free market' has the abilities and capabilities, or even interest in sharing wealth? theres no question theres wastage and inefficiencies via our current approach's but.....

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The rich could also move about to avoid a flat tax. Just sayin'.

They'd move here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This I think needs to be stated a lot more, there has been a huge race to the bottom in a lot of jobs especially as we have a lot of very educated friends coming in from across the EU.

project manager used to be a pretty much solid 60-75k job, now starting in the 40-45 bracket.
    Java developers used to start on 50, now its 30k
    Product manager for a multinational - used to be 90-100 handy enough, now you'd earn 50-70

We have a growing gap now between people who entered the workforce 10-15 years ago and those entering it today. If you've done a decade in your sector what you're on now, the guy behind you in 10 year time won't be on anywhere near that.

Is there any actual data to support this? The average wage has been rising year on year I'm pretty sure so that doesn't really lend itself to these 40-60% wage drops.

Augeo wrote: »
    It wouldn't suit the folk with the hand out who pay fnck all tax anyway you see.

That's where the negative income tax comes in. They'd be better off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As for Renua didn’t they have funny points of view on abortion and EU?

well they were anti abortion, not sure thats a funny point of view, but it probably didnt do them any favours.

its important to keep our prejudices in check!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,053 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They'd move here!
    No. One of the touted attractions of a flat tax system is that the rich pay more (because the slew of deductions and tax breaks and etc that they currently availa of is eliminated) — this is how the reduced tax burden for the middle is largely funded. But if that is an attraction of a flat tax system, then it's also an incentive for the mobile rich to move to a jurisdiction that doesn't have a flat tax system.

Cyrus wrote: »
    well they were anti abortion, not sure thats a funny point of view.......

Indeed, I've yet to meet someone who reckons they should have been aborted.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

I doubt that. At worst, most people might think that half of FT workers earn more than that amount, and half earn less. That's what most people think "average" usually means. In fact, that's the figure you think Varadkar should have given, isn't it?

Yes, my mistake, I meant most people (I reckon) listening to Leo's statement think 49k is the median - and there seems to be no available evidence to support that.

Incidentally, surely in order to establish the average, enough data must be available to also establish the median!

It seems to me that the public is being sold the message that 49k is the median which gives the impression that the country is doing really well.
    And those who don't think impressions matter should remember the days when Bertie was prating on about how brilliantly Ireland was doing when in fact Ireland was drowning but didn't realise it.

The question "what is the ft worker median wage". This question is central to this thread and nobody can answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No. One of the touted attractions of a flat tax system is that the rich pay more (because the slew of deductions and tax breaks and etc that they currently availa of is eliminated) — this is how the reduced tax burden for the middle is largely funded. But if that is an attraction of a flat tax system, then it's also an incentive for the mobile rich to move to a jurisdiction that doesn't have a flat tax system.

it depends on what you refer to when you mean the rich, the salaried rich would be interested a scheme like this, the asset owning rich wouldnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,348 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Indeed, I've yet to meet someone who reckons they should have been aborted.

I have met folks including myself that believe the prospective mother should have had the right to choose, myself included though.

Anyway let's not derail what is a good thread, there's plenty of pro/anti choice threads I'm sure.

I was actually a registered member of renua due to their flat tax and crime policies but when it was clear they wanted a party line as opposed to a "conscience vote" like FF, I left. It's a pity. We need a strong center right party in Ireland to sort out a lot of the overspending in DSP and HSE and other government departments.

its important to keep our prejudices in check!

Just calling it as is it.
    I don't pander to the lazy left :)

...and so am i.....

lazy left, please explain?

Depends if US style taxation of citizens regardless of their location in world is brought in. Taxation is one subject that really gets people interested in politics :)

US citizens abroad pay taxes and have the right to a postal ballot. Taxation with representation. That works for them but I prefer our setup.

Cyrus wrote: »
    it depends on what you refer to when you mean the rich, the salaried rich would be interested a scheme like this, the asset owning rich wouldnt.

The salaried middle class like myself would also be interested. You don't have to be "rich" (you'll never really be rich if you are salaried anyway) to benefit, since the highest tax rate kicks in at a measly 35k.

...and so am i.....

Gents! There's no need for that. The "lazy left" is akin to a Trump-ism and I get malayed for using those.

its clearly not, and this is clearly evident with our highly dysfunctional property markets, and low wage inflation

...and so am i.....

If the tax system was rejigged so those earning their few quid kept more of it those that have the hand out would want an ole bonus or an extra few quid also.

its clearly not, and this is clearly evident with our highly dysfunctional property markets, and low wage inflation

Ah right so the ERSI are wrong and you're right. Ok.

• Advertisement

Ah right so the ERSI are wrong and you're right. Ok.

i ll stick with respected economic commentators opinions, and the facts that are used, and the facts that i have found myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement