Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v France 2021 6n

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Burns is rubbish. Surely Ross Byrne a better option.

You're not watching the match then. He hasn't been rubbish at all. Ross Byrne has been tried before and it hasn't worked. That's not to say he is or isn't a better option, but right now Burns is playing and doing OK. I've seen nothing tonsuggest Byrne would do better...although he would be a better goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Pity JGP came in needlessly for the try....

KaneToad wrote: »
    Not the solution. He shouldn't be in the squad.

Would you mind elaborating. more than he's just not good enough please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Burns is rubbish. Surely Ross Byrne a better option.

This backline would be moving far worse with Byrne in there.

Cian Healy a spent docket already.

Do you mean a spent force or a beaten docket? I like my props ljke healy and my metaphors untortured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Billy burns has been terrible....anyone can miss a kick...but the nature of the first miss was shocking..

Offers nothing in attack

He's totally out of his depth. Ridiculous from Farrell to pick him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

awec wrote: »
    No.

People are looking for issues with JGP and Burns because of the fuss that's been made about us playing with neither Sexton nor Murray.

Sexton misses kicks all the time, and t's harsh to blame JGP for the try. They tore through us and the defence was scrambling.

Both the half backs have been grand.

True. People tend to have rose tinted glasses about out halves kicking in the past. Remember ROG's miss from his first kick 22m straight opposite the posts in Twickenham 2004. Or Johnny Sexton v Scotland for the Triple Crown in 2010.

Very few emerge like Leigh Halpenny as a fully fledged kicker from day 1 of his international career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Have a look at the French try. Players running at gaps, not at players. Trucking it up doesn't mean trying to run over people.

Watch Aldritt for France with ball in hand. Every good backrow has 1 player who carries hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We need a quick try in the 2nd half, one more French try and its game over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He's totally out of his depth. Ridiculous from Farrell to pick him.

Bar the missed pen what has he done wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People saying Burns has sucked are talking absolute scutter.

His garryowens have been bang on the money, every single one. He missed a kick at goal, which is not rare for Sexton either.

We're not losing because of Burns or JGP, we're losing cause we haven't a clue what to do with the ball. France are far better with the ball than we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Billy burns has been terrible....anyone can miss a kick...but the nature of the first miss was shocking..

Offers nothing in attack

Can you see the contradiction here? It reminds me of the ‘I’m not racist/homophobic/sexist BUT’ argument :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

kilns wrote: »
    People calling for Farrell to go are stupid you can see real positives there but our attack is awful and that needs to be addressed before we can start taking advantage of our possession dominance

And whos job is it to fix the attack. Tgis isn't new. We've stunk in attack in far too many games now under him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

touts wrote: »
    Big calls to be made by Farrell at half time. France there for the taking but Burns and JGP clearly not up to it. Does Farrell have the courage to call that he made the wrong selection and change it at half time.

Ross Byrne is not going to open up France, shovelling on passes from ten metres back.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Na Burns has sucked. His kicks for touch from penalties have been poor in terms of ground gained and some pretty pointless kicks over the top too.
    JGP has been fine

Other way round IMO, not that I think Gibson Park has sucked, but then I don't think anyone has sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No.

People are looking for issues with JGP and Burns because of the fuss that's been made about us playing with neither Sexton nor Murray.

Sexton misses kicks all the time, and t's harsh to blame JGP for the try. They tore through us and the defence was scrambling.

We have loads of good 9s and 10s, none as good as Murray and Sexton in their prime. The expectation seems to be they should be but IMO of all those players Casey at 9 and Healy and HByrne at 10 have it to go to that level

We are going to have a crap 6n so give Casey and a few others meaningful minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

He hasn't been fine at all. He's rubbish. He was so weak for the French first try they stripped the ball off him. He should not be playing. The coach is useless.

I mean.....get off the fence man, at least commit to an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

We've played ok at points but the way they support compared to us is night and day and we're once again being let down by simple, basic skills like making an accurate pass while running at pace. Very hard to see us winning from here imo.

Pretty much this. I think it’s been a decent display but effectively the odd poor pass or too long kick has killed momentum.

People saying Burns has sucked are talking absolute scutter.

His garryowens have been bang on the money, every single one. He missed a kick at goal, which is not rare for Sexton either.

We're not losing because of Burns or JGP, we're losing cause we haven't a clue what to do with the ball. France are far better with the ball than we are.

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Would you mind elaborating. more than he's just not good enough please

Sure. We have much better options at 9:

Cooney
    Marmion
    Blade

Casey is not (yet) international standard 9. Those guys are and offer us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Offers nothing in attack

Burns isn't the only reason out attack has faltered. We haven't set the world alight with Sexton there either. People need to take off the blinkers, we have two very good centres but they aren't world beaters. Henshaw looks to be a bit more dynamic since shedding the weight but he's not going to step two or three fellas and score a breakaway. Likewise, Ringrose is a very good footballer but he doesn't have the sheer acceleration needed to turn those half breaks into scores. Additionally, Catt looks to have brought nothing worthwhile. Burns is not the only reason our backline can't score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Do you mean a spent force or a beaten docket? I like my props ljke healy and my metaphors untortured.

He’s been blue raw useless in the second quarter of the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ross Byrne has failed to impress on numerous occasions. Burns had a good Autumn. He **** the bed last week but he still has credit in the bank from November and rightly so. He deserves his shot. Personally I'd prefer to see Carty there but I don't have an issue with Burns being given a chance.

There has to be a better option than Burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Na Burns has sucked. His kicks for touch from penalties have been poor in terms of ground gained

Wrong.

If I've one criticism of sexton is that he rarely gains much ground when kicking for touch out of hand.

Burns gets plenty....Lowe even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭dh1985

No.

Haven't seen anyone mention the jgp tackle on the French second row that saved a certain try. The two lads have done alright. Ireland on top for large passages but France have the killer blow on offense that ireland dont possess. Definitely not out 9f this yet. French set piece is a shambles. Dont see a grand slam in those guys

• Advertisement

In Freddie burns’s defence Sexton would have missed one of those place kicks as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

We're in a rebuilding phase.

But the big thing for me isn't so much the players, but is AF the man to lead us forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭theVersatile

In Freddie burns’s defence Sexton would have missed one of those place kicks as well.

Freddie Burns, Jesus Mary and Joseph.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There has to be a better option than Burns.

Yea there is, Sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I feel henshaw and ringrose of offered nothing in the the middle of the park ball in hand.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    Sure. We have much better options at 9:

Cooney
    Marmion
    Blade

Casey is not (yet) international standard 9. Those guys are and offer us more.

Ah no I said more than just he's not good enough. You said he's not the answer those guys are not options because they are not in the team. He's got bags of talent. He may not be the best option right now but youve given no actual reason why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I see the match threads are becoming as unreadable as the main Ireland thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Come on Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think any player has been bad. We've a lot of lads actually excelling. Set piece has been excellent and our pressure game on point.

But as soon as the ball goes past 10 we look clueless. We're wasting the abilities of some very gifted outside backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

He’s been blue raw useless in the second quarter of the first half

Blue raw useless hahaha

Our scrum and lineout are clearly on top.

We need to play 10 man rugby to have a chance here.

France will have us for breakfast in fast open play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Here we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Lucky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Got lucky there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lowe has a strange kicking style.

Fichou playing well.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jesus Christ

Got out of jail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭A-Train

Too easy for France, blessed we got away with that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

DuPont f**ked up there

talk about fortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

France are too good for us I'm afraid.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

Poor from Herring

Herring providing the turnstile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dupont passes into his own players head.

Definitely should be dropped for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If JGP did that he'd be lynched here :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

Herring looks so slow in open play compared to the rest of the players on the pitch.

Advertisement