Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery electric vehicle feasible for motorway driving?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Brilliant. Well Wear, and welcome to EV motoring...

Are you signed up with eCars for if you ever need a charge in the wild?

Did you get a home charger installed? and are you on a Day/Night meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

The underspec comments come from the first edition Kona 191 which in Ireland was way underspecced compared with the UK model. For example it does not have the front collision warnings or the adaptive cruise control, nor even the maps. And you couldn't even get these in Ireland. However, as you point out by comparison with other models has lots of things as standard. In 2020 HY sold the premium version too. Well wear and enjoy. Soonish you'll be getting new battery so use it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JimmyKane

Brilliant. Well Wear, and welcome to EV motoring...

Are you signed up with eCars for if you ever need a charge in the wild?

Did you get a home charger installed? and are you on a Day/Night meter?

Thanks. Yep signed up to eCars and tested it out once just to make sure it was working for me. Also signed up to EasyGo and got their fob too just in case.

I got a zappi installed connected to the meter box by Nigel Daly's crowd. Just waiting on the log book for the car now so I can send off for the grant payment.

I'm still stuck on the 24hr rate with Energia which is frustrating. They say the ESB needs to come out to switch me over to the day/night tariff, but the ESB aren't calling out to homes until Level 5 restrictions are lifted. Thing is, I don't think the ESB need to come out to me. I don't need my meter changed. I have a Time of Day Electronic meter that can be used for both 24hr and day/night tariffs, so I don't know what exactly the ESB would be doing in my meter box??? (The second type of meter here is the one I have https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/how-to-read-your-meter/electronic-domestic-meters )
    I've tried explaining this to Energia but it's like talking to a brick wall. Maybe they're right though, I'm not sure. It's not too bad, I know I said initially I was on 19c per unit but I didn't realise that's the price before the 41% discount. Still though, I rather get on to their EV plan asap and save even more ðŸ˜

innrain wrote: »
    The underspec comments come from the first edition Kona 191 which in Ireland was way underspecced compared with the UK model. For example it does not have the front collision warnings or the adaptive cruise control, nor even the maps. And you couldn't even get these in Ireland. However, as you point out by comparison with other models has lots of things as standard. In 2020 HY sold the premium version too. Well wear and enjoy. Soonish you'll be getting new battery so use it :)

Yeah the battery recall was ironically a big incentive for me! If they do recall the Irish Kona's, hopefully it won't get to me for a year or so...give me a chance to get the mileage up to about 60k before I get my brand new battery pack!

Yes, that's what I have, a day/night meter.
    you press the button to show the date, then total usage, then day usage, then night usage....

Can you email them a photo of it to show that it's already a day/night meter?

Even on the 24hr rate, you must be seeing a big difference in costs of motoring compared to the diesel..?

How did you get the EasyGo fob? pay for it? I'm signed up but that was when they stopped giving out fobs for free...

Another useful app in my opinion is Plugshare.. shows all public chargers, and you can filter to any type you want to... also shows pictures of the chargers which can be useful when finding them in the wild, as well as recent check-in's by users (so you can see how reliable they are).

A Better Route Planner (ABRP) is another handy one for when you're planning road trips (when we're allowed to again).

Yes, that's what I have, a day/night meter.
    you press the button to show the date, then total usage, then day usage, then night usage....

Can you email them a photo of it to show that it's already a day/night meter?

Even on the 24hr rate, you must be seeing a big difference in costs of motoring compared to the diesel..?

How did you get the EasyGo fob? pay for it? I'm signed up but that was when they stopped giving out fobs for free...

Another useful app in my opinion is Plugshare.. shows all public chargers, and you can filter to any type you want to... also shows pictures of the chargers which can be useful when finding them in the wild, as well as recent check-in's by users (so you can see how reliable they are).

A Better Route Planner (ABRP) is another handy one for when you're planning road trips (when we're allowed to again).

When you initially switched from 24hr to day/night, did the ESB need to call out? I've been on to them twice, hoping to get further with the second staff member. I'll definitely get back on to them and maybe email a picture like you said but I want to find out for sure that I'm right before I start hounding them!

Yep even on the 24hr rate there's a big saving already. Im averaging about 20.5kwh/100km so currently it is costing me about €5 for my return journey to work compared to about €14 in diesel. Once I get on to the day/night tariff @ 4.79c per night unit I'll be looking at about €2.10 for my 220km commute! Daily toll costs have halved also!

Thanks, I'll check out those apps. I paid the €6 for the EasyGo fob.

JimmyKane wrote: »
    When you initially switched from 24hr to day/night, did the ESB need to call out?

Yes, but that was because my original meter was a 24hr spinning wheel type, so needed to be changed.

Tis was back in February 2020 just before everything went mental with Covid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When you initially switched from 24hr to day/night, did the ESB need to call out? I've been on to them twice, hoping to get further with the second staff member. I'll definitely get back on to them and maybe email a picture like you said but I want to find out for sure that I'm right before I start hounding them!

Yep even on the 24hr rate there's a big saving already. Im averaging about 20.5kwh/100km so currently it is costing me about €5 for my return journey to work compared to about €14 in diesel. Once I get on to the day/night tariff @ 4.79c per night unit I'll be looking at about €2.10 for my 220km commute! Daily toll costs have halved also!

Thanks, I'll check out those apps. I paid the €6 for the EasyGo fob.

They had to call out to me in November even though I had a digital meter that does overall, day and night readings. My meter was outside though so they called even with lockdown.

Edit: that rate is wrong I think unless it's ex vat? But I thought the Energia 41% night rate was 6c?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They had to call out to me in November even though I had a digital meter that does overall, day and night readings. My meter was outside though so they called even with lockdown.

Edit: that rate is wrong I think unless it's ex vat? But I thought the Energia 41% night rate was 6c?

Energia have an EV plan that is 4.79c for night units and approx 16c for day units

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah the battery recall was ironically a big incentive for me! If they do recall the Irish Kona's, hopefully it won't get to me for a year or so...give me a chance to get the mileage up to about 60k before I get my brand new battery pack!

Don't assume battery replacement, their wording has changed recently to "may", there is chatter they will take packs out and replace connectors and stick old battery pack back in, all conjecture at the moment though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm still stuck on the 24hr rate with Energia which is frustrating. They say the ESB needs to come out to switch me over to the day/night tariff, but the ESB aren't calling out to homes until Level 5 restrictions are lifted. Thing is, I don't think the ESB need to come out to me. I don't need my meter changed. I have a Time of Day Electronic meter that can be used for both 24hr and day/night tariffs, so I don't know what exactly the ESB would be doing in my meter box??? ˜

They wont be swapping your meter.
    They might need to read the day/night readings though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just jumping on this thread. I may need to start doing a 260 km round trip from September a couple of times a week. Up the N11 from wexford so lots of motorway. Initial idea was to spend 10-15 k on a diesel but would also consider ev if pcp interest rate is good. There is charging at destination but can often be busy so would prefer something that can do it comfortably in winter.

Would probably be looking at eniro, id3, id4. Would Ioniq do it as well? Comfort is paramount as my back wouldn’t be wonderful. Have two young children also but we mainly bring them around in suv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

This gives real world ranges in different scenarios

https://ev-database.org/car/1127/Volkswagen-ID3-Pure-Performance

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »

Surely the ID.3 DC charges faster than 50kW as is stated in that spec sheet???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

80sDiesel wrote: »

So for comfort Id really want the big battery in the id3. Hmm. Would have to do some sums. Really want to switch to electric but has to make some sense financially too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Surely the ID.3 DC charges faster than 50kW as is stated in that spec sheet???????

That's the absolute base version which probably doesn't have the optional DC upgrade.

fits wrote: »
    So for comfort Id really want the big battery in the id3. Hmm. Would have to do some sums. Really want to switch to electric but has to make some sense financially too.

id.3 can be got with 77 Kwh battery but looses 1 seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

id.3 can be got with 77 Kwh battery but looses 1 seat.

They're doing a five seat model as well.

Edit: the model is Tour 5.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They're doing a five seat model as well.

Edit: the model is Tour 5.

Are they beefing up the chassis to hold the big battery and the 5th passenger?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Are they beefing up the chassis to hold the big battery and the 5th passenger?

No, they are removing some of the heavier equipment instead. No HUD, no pano roof etc ...

liamog wrote: »
    No, they are removing some of the heavier equipment instead. No HUD, no pano roof etc ...

Yeah, I just had a quick google, and see it's only between 6kg-20kg lighter than the 4 seat version!!!

Talking about fine margins..... 20kg seems very little to have to make a 5 seat car a 4 seat car....

I think the regs require 75kg per passenger, so a 4 seat car needs to be able to carry 300kg and a 5 seater 375kg.

No Pan roof is not a bad thing, not a fan of them really.

5 Seater is good news, 80 odd Kwh is the one to get then probably be a fair bit slower though with no power upgrade.

They need a hot hatch version. I know I'm being fussy when 9-11 Second 0-100 Diesels were and still are all too common.

I'm surprised Kia haven't updated the Kona battery yet, perhaps they won't now to attract People to the 5 and 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Tour is 43k though? The id4 starts at that. The larger enyaq battery is 44k. Worth the wait?? Due out this year.

https://www.skoda.ie/models/enyaq-iv/enyaq-iv

Advertisement