Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying or selling/disposing a receiver via a dealer or other..

Options
  • 14-02-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

So from time to time I see receivers being offered for sale.
    Most but not all have the accompanying bolt to match but aside form that they are pretty much naked..

Is there any issues related to the purchase of just a receiver as opposed to buying a complete firearm.

So why do I ask>>

If I wanted to upgrade a rifle, retaining the ancillaries and then later affix all the same ancillaries to the a new receiver, could this be done with the correct licencing?

Will a dealer be able to accept a bare receiver from a know identifiable licence holder..? for destruction..

I don't see why it is not possible but it will be interesting to see if other have opinions that are similar..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Zxthinger wrote: »
    So from time to time I see receivers being offered for sale.
    Most but not all have the accompanying bolt to match but aside form that they are pretty much naked..

Is there any issues related to the purchase of just a receiver as opposed to buying a complete firearm.

So why do I ask>>

If I wanted to upgrade a rifle, retaining the ancillaries and then later affix all the same ancillaries to the a new receiver, could this be done with the correct licencing?

Will a dealer be able to accept a bare receiver from a know identifiable licence holder..? for destruction..

I don't see why it is not possible but it will be interesting to see if other have opinions that are similar..

You can sell, trade, part exchange a reciever just as you would a firearm. When you think about it, it's the firearm part that is licensed because it has the serial number on.
    I bought a 10/22 custom action only, with a custom serial number, clivej001, did a sub and sold the old action. Part exchanged a handgun in toward it.
    Yes you can give the action in to be distroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Short answer, Yes.

The receiver it legally a firearm. So buying it is not different to licensing and purchasing any other firearm.
    If you they trade in the old receiver, it again, no different to selling or trading a complete firearm.

Advertisement