Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ45 faceplate that can join two Rj45 cables

Options
  • 14-02-2021 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

My house already has proper male plug terminated RJ45 cables hanging out of patress boxes.. Is there any face plate that I plug the wall embedeed cable into and then I just use a regular laptop patch cable.

I dont want to cut off and do a DIY join, I want to use the existing end that is there but leave it hidden in the faceplate.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

yes - thats it... Thank you.. Hard to tell, but I guess it fits in a standard single patress box..

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Yep, a 1 gang plate will cover a single patress box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Those right angled keystones look great.

You can also get in wall access points with ethernet ports from Unifi, Edimax and lots of less well known manufacturers.
    These will take an RJ45 plug in the back if you don't want to terminate the cable to a block and could be useful too.
    It'll be a lot more expensive than just terminating it the normal way.

You would need to use a POE ethernet switch at the other end to provide power to them,
    but it would be a very neat solution.
    I've used the Ubiquiti Unifi ones and they're very good.
    Avoid the 1st generation ones at this stage however -
    they only do 100Mb ethernet and are out of longterm support.

Got my faceplates and keystone couplers from that website suggested. Quick delivery. However a terminated cable does not fit inside a standard patress box. The keystone coupler puts the wall cable in a vertical position so its strain relief is jammed up against the inside surface of the patress box..

I was using plasterboard patresses - they might be a bit smaller, but not that much.. Was there a different type of patress box or rj45 terminator to use..

This is real bad, the whole purpose of buying the terminated cable, patress boxes, cutting the wall, fishtailing etc was to make this easy.. Ended up cutting the side out of the patress so that rj45 terminator would fit.

And now one of my strained cables is damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

There are different depths of patress boxes, I've seen at least 25mm - 47mm. Also different ones may have cutouts at the top or back (or both, sometimes you push out a piece thats pre cut and only just held in with a few small strips of plastic).

https://www.screwfix.ie/c/electrical-lighting/back-boxes/cat7230011

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/appleby-1-gang-47mm-dry-lining-box/83270

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

This version looks like they take up a bit less space inside, though if you want to make the connection without a proper punchdown keystone you're going to be tight on space.
    Buy one at a time until you find something that works simply for your boxes and then buy the rest.

https://www.nexxia.co.uk/product/quick-connect-single-cat6-rj45-network-wall-plate-nx-wp-065rq

It seems very odd for whoever wired it to have left terminated cables hanging out of the boxes. The cable in your wall should be solid core and premade cable is usually stranded.

If it is stranded it won't crimp well if you cut it anyway and the way you're going about it is probably your best bet so worth making it fit.

Thanks - yes good to test on 1 first before ordering a whole box of stuff

I am upgrading some stuff in an old house.. Some of the cables pass tone test and "laptop" check fine, back to hallway cupboard. They are routed under flooring, which I dont want move so was hoping to use whatever was there. Some others I add and I use some of the flat and micro cables to route behind skirting and door frames. The micro and flat are well terminated already, so was hoping to get faceplates that worked.

Advertisement