Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 million investment for Lucan village

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

ArthurG wrote: »

Lucan village is very picturesque. But from a tourists point of view there's not a whole lot there.

Be interesting to see what they come up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ShyMets wrote: »
    Lucan village is very picturesque. But from a tourists point of view there's not a whole lot there.

Be interesting to see what they come up with

A proper greenway linking up the waterways would get alot of cyclists and runners. People would stop in the village for coffee etc. Village inaccessible by bike with kids at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I've lived in the village for almost 15 years now and the biggest thing i can't understand is the lack of decent restaurants. When you consider the increasing population in the area (all those new higher end estates up near Adamstown), you'd think there would be demand. Compared to Leixlip or Maynooth its really underserved. You get the odd gem like Coffee Works (opening their 3rd place now, best of luck to them), but that's the exception. I'd really hope this leads to better facilities, and yes better cycling and walking infrastructure.

I wonder if this was connected in any way to the traffic measurement that was going on in the village a few months back - there were those cables laid across all the roads which i presume measure numbers of cars in and out.

I've lived in the village for almost 15 years now and the biggest thing i can't understand is the lack of decent restaurants. When you consider the increasing population in the area (all those new higher end estates up near Adamstown), you'd think there would be demand. Compared to Leixlip or Maynooth its really underserved. You get the odd gem like Coffee Works (opening their 3rd place now, best of luck to them), but that's the exception. I'd really hope this leads to better facilities, and yes better cycling and walking infrastructure.

I wonder if this was connected in any way to the traffic measurement that was going on in the village a few months back - there were those cables laid across all the roads which i presume measure numbers of cars in and out.

I say the main reason for not many good restaurants, is because the village is a traffic nightmare. During the festival the village is great, we can walk along the village in peace and quiet.

2m won't change much though, as not that much in money terms.

First thing i would do is close off the village main street during certain hours, maybe the weekend and have a summer market there etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

First thing i would do is close off the village main street during certain hours, maybe the weekend and have a summer market there etc

I've always thought that would be a great idea. You could easily enough close the section from Numero 6/Coffee Works to the Ulster Bank, still leaving access to Laraghcon.

In terms of restaurants, it's a strange one. The Numero 6 site has changed hands several times, so seems nobody is making it work. I really rate both Kasturi and Delhi Darbar for Indian, but there is no Asian or Italian restaurant in the village.

I think part of the reason is that most of the development in Lucan is a long way from the village itself. If you look at Lucan on a map, the village itself is in a corner of the area, not the middle. I guess the Italian Embassy and Lucan Demesne meant that there was no development on that side of the village. I'm only 5 minutes walk from the village, but friends of mine who also live in Lucan are nearly an hour's walk away, so would rarely come down for food. If you're getting a bus/taxi, might as well go as far as the city.

• Advertisement

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I've always thought that would be a great idea. You could easily enough close the section from Numero 6/Coffee Works to the Ulster Bank, still leaving access to Laraghcon.

In terms of restaurants, it's a strange one. The Numero 6 site has changed hands several times, so seems nobody is making it work. I really rate both Kasturi and Delhi Darbar for Indian, but there is no Asian or Italian restaurant in the village.

I think part of the reason is that most of the development in Lucan is a long way from the village itself. If you look at Lucan on a map, the village itself is in a corner of the area, not the middle. I guess the Italian Embassy and Lucan Demesne meant that there was no development on that side of the village. I'm only 5 minutes walk from the village, but friends of mine who also live in Lucan are nearly an hour's walk away, so would rarely come down for food. If you're getting a bus/taxi, might as well go as far as the city.

Its just easier to get take away from those two places!!

We go to Maynooth for food. Just higher quality of food there.

We go to Maynooth for food. Just higher quality of food there.

Not at the moment of course..... ;)

Not at the moment of course..... ;)

How i miss a meal in Avenue and then some whiskey in the bar afterwards :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bogmanfan wrote: »

The N4 is impermeable to pedestrians alright but not even the furthest flung corners of Earlsfort or Foxborough are an hours walk from the village, people are jusy lazy.

Part of the problem with restraunts in the village is the lack of supermarkets or really any other high footfall retail in the village.

The other big problem is the lack of a bus service connecting the village with its hinterland. The 239 kind of does that job but its not frequent enough and doesn't even run on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The N4 is impermeable to pedestrians alright but not even the furthest flung corners of Earlsfort or Foxborough are an hours walk from the village, people are jusy lazy.

Part of the problem with restraunts in the village is the lack of supermarkets or really any other high footfall retail in the village.

The other big problem is the lack of a bus service connecting the village with its hinterland. The 239 kind of does that job but its not frequent enough and doesn't even run on Sundays.

239 runs on a Sunday, but yes, not frequent or reliable enough. It may not be an hour but it certainly is a good 40-45 minutes to the village from parts of Foxborough, Earlsfort, Castle Gate. You don't have to be lazy to not be willing to walk 40 minutes there and back for a meal out. The poster is right, Lucan being so spread out from the village is a major reason the village is not successfully developed.

• Advertisement

239 runs on a Sunday, but yes, not frequent or reliable enough. It may not be an hour but it certainly is a good 40-45 minutes to the village from parts of Foxborough, Earlsfort, Castle Gate. You don't have to be lazy to not be willing to walk 40 minutes there and back for a meal out. The poster is right, Lucan being so spread out from the village is a major reason the village is not successfully developed.

The extremes are about 45 minutes walk but there's an awful lot in between there and the village, more than enough within a 20 minute walk for the village to be more of a focal point than it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

not even the furthest flung corners of Earlsfort or Foxborough are an hours walk from the village, people are jusy lazy.

I dunno about you but I can't see my wife walking 45 minutes into the village on her heels for a Saturday night out to go for a meal and then walk 45 minutes back :p

As the other poster said, might as well go into town...

The extremes are about 45 minutes walk but there's an awful lot in between there and the village, more than enough within a 20 minute walk for the village to be much more of a focal point than it is.

For us its probably a 30 min walk down a bad footpath on the way into the village. If i really wanted I get a taxi but the village offers nothing really.

Village is just in a bad location unless you live close to it.

unkel wrote: »
    I dunno about you but I can't see my wife walking 45 minutes into the village on her heels for a Saturday night out to go for a meal and then walk 45 minutes back :p

As the other poster said, might as well go into town...

The point is unless you're at the extreme fringes, it's not a 45 minute walk and definitely not the nearly 1 hour walk originally quoted.

If you're going to to bring high heels into it, a 10 minute walk is not even feasible.

I stand by my original point, the two biggest factors working against the village are the lack of any high footfall retail and the lack of bus connectivity between the village and its hinterland, it's easier to go town because the bus goes to town.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There's a lot in that.
    I note the before and after images with the route going through residential estates where cars ae parked haphazardly.
    How will people view the removing of the view of Lucan Bridge from a new cycling bridge?

There's a lot in that.
    I note the before and after images with the route going through residential estates where cars ae parked haphazardly.
    How will people view the removing of the view of Lucan Bridge from a new cycling bridge?

Where do you see all that detail, I just get a one page PDF file when I click on the link.

unkel wrote: »
    Where do you see all that detail, I just get a one page PDF file when I click on the link.

It doesn't work very well on a phone - use a computer. Click on the google maps style arrow on the floor to move to main area, and then use your mouse to pan around and click on 10 / 11 different sections.

There's a lot in that.

The bridge will be contentious I'd say, but overall it looks pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Looks good, great to see an improvement to the link with the village. I can't see anyone however taking the right turn after the motorway bridge and going through a maze of housing estates when they can just carry on straight on a more direct route. It seems to be adding unnecessary complexity.

hmmm wrote: »
    I can't see anyone however taking the right turn after the motorway bridge and going through a maze of housing estates when they can just carry on straight on a more direct route. It seems to be adding unnecessary complexity.
    It does but I guess families and unconfident people will follow the designated route. They won't have to deal with the traffic in the village then.

What is the gradient like heading southbound through Sarsfield Pk, Lucan Heights & Beech Pk? I assume that it would be easier for an unfit person to cycle than somewhere closer to the Adamstown Rd hill (although I think the green areas along that route contain most of the hilly bits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

The part in Sarsfield Park goes along parallel to the road so the gradient is managed; the entrance to Lucan Heights is tougher.

The bigger problem will be the residents of Cherbury Park Road, Beech Park and Sarsfield Park. The'll kill it stone dead long before it gets to Lucan Bridge, and I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same in their situation despite being an avid cyclist.

It's also a "road to nowhere"; there are no plans for anything on the Fingal side.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think the bridge concept looks dreadful, and is on the worst side, the views from the weir will be ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think the alteration of the bridge at the weir looks awful.

Why do they need the new bridge in Griffen Valley Park? It's just meters from the existing bridge.

Looks an interesting running route for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

The bridge will be contentious I'd say, but overall it looks pretty impressive.

Interesting. Look what they did with the bridge in chapelizod. I think that one looks amazing now, and it's great to just stand there and look up the river. It's a real improvement to that village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

I was on a call with SDCC last night about the new greenway route. There was a lot of questions about the bridge. The current preferred option is to have a separate pedestrian/cycle bridge 5 metres upstream from the existing bridge which is a protected structure. I'm not sure how that's going to fit in, but I suspect there will be a lot of opposition.

Anyway, check out the details at

https://canalloop.virtualeventspace.io/

R

Perhaps the new cycle bridge upstream can be at a slightly lower height? That way the view from the existing bridge is not ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

The route through the housing estates looks odd to me. Are they just going to paint signs on the road and call it a cycle route? You’ll still be sharing the road with whatever traffic will be using it.

Advertisement