Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2 million investment for Lucan village

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FinnC wrote: »
    The route through the housing estates looks odd to me. Are they just going to paint signs on the road and call it a cycle route? You’ll still be sharing the road with whatever traffic will be using it.
    In general cycling infrastructure is designed by people who don't cycle and have little knowledge on the subject. That's why most of what has been developed to date is of no use.
    Even the images in the SDCC plans show a lack of parking enforcement. This is unlikely to change which makes those sections of the route even more hazardous.
    The baseline check the designers should be doing is to see if it is safe for their kids. If not, then it isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

unkel wrote: »
    Perhaps the new cycle bridge upstream can be at a slightly lower height? That way the view from the existing bridge is not ruined.

I think it was more the view of the bridge from down beside the river, rather than the view from the bridge.

R

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote: »
    Where do you see all that detail, I just get a one page PDF file when I click on the link.

https://canalloop.virtualeventspace.io/files/VCR_Contents3.pdf this one has 11 pages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In general cycling infrastructure is designed by people who don't cycle and have little knowledge on the subject. That's why most of what has been developed to date is of no use.
    Even the images in the SDCC plans show a lack of parking enforcement. This is unlikely to change which makes those sections of the route even more hazardous.
    The baseline check the designers should be doing is to see if it is safe for their kids. If not, then it isn't good enough.
    Those speed ramps would put me off.

And what will the steep bit from Lucan Heights , St Joseph's to Sarsfield Park look like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If the usability of the route is on a par with that virtual event space, it'll be a a massive waste of money. The rat run through the estates will not be a hit with cyclists or residents.

When you cross north of the N4, if there could be a route across the land being prepared for the cemetery extension into vessey park onto the adamstown road, it'd still leave a bit of on road to Courtney's but it'd make for a nicer route overall, maybe they could eek out some space with a boardwalk over the river on some of that stretch, it could help. This would deliver the cyclists through the village to create some trade for the local businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As someone who now cycles quite a bit, I'd wonder who it is being developed for.
    I sat listening to a Kildare Co Co meeting this morning and during a discussion of a potential cycle route which may have suited commuters the topic of tourists came up. To me, tourism becomes a justification for so many cycling projects and they lose focus from what I think is the original intent, which is to encourage some drivers to make an alternative commuting choice. Maybe the Lucan Canal Loop is purely for tourism but given that the vast majority of people travelling along the Grand Canal to Adamstown are commuters so the question be who is it for?
    Personally, I like the idea but I don't see myself using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not so much who its being developed for but who it's being developed by...

The people who brought you this...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xGGyUE47pJcz4xa66

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

As someone who now cycles quite a bit, I'd wonder who it is being developed for.
    I sat listening to a Kildare Co Co meeting this morning and during a discussion of a potential cycle route which may have suited commuters the topic of tourists came up. To me, tourism becomes a justification for so many cycling projects and they lose focus from what I think is the original intent, which is to encourage some drivers to make an alternative commuting choice. Maybe the Lucan Canal Loop is purely for tourism but given that the vast majority of people travelling along the Grand Canal to Adamstown are commuters so the question be who is it for?
    Personally, I like the idea but I don't see myself using it.

I think it's more for the local area. Links alot of lucan up and gives the locals a good cycling/running loop.

The fact it can link up to grange castle business park and in around that area gives a great loop.

Need to link lucan and celbridge on the canal next for the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Have they considered using the route up Lock Road to lower entrance to Vesey park, through the park and new cycle patch through to existing footbridge, and away through Griffeen Valley park. Village to canal without having to go through any housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

People in Lucan Heights, Beech Park and Cherbury are going nuts over this. They spent ages trying to make the area as safe as possible but putting a designated cycleway through the estates means a lot of the kissing gates to deter motorbikes and scramblers may be removed.
    Difficult enough to come up with a better alternative option though because the other option would have been to come down past the cemetery and then into the village but the last stretch of that gradient is lethal.
    I'm all for progress but as someone who lives in the area, I'm not sure how well it'll work or, more importantly, how utilized it'll be.
    Lucan isn't exactly a hotbed of tourism.
    I'd be more in favour of closing off the triangle in the village for the weekends and designated times during the day to make it more accessible to locals rather than having it snarled up with traffic jams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heroditas wrote: »
    People in Lucan Heights, Beech Park and Cherbury are going nuts over this. They spent ages trying to make the area as safe as possible but putting a designated cycleway through the estates means a lot of the kissing gates to deter motorbikes and scramblers may be removed.
    Difficult enough to come up with a better alternative option though because the other option would have been to come down past the cemetery and then into the village but the last stretch of that gradient is lethal.
    I'm all for progress but as someone who lives in the area, I'm not sure how well it'll work or, more importantly, how utilized it'll be.
    Lucan isn't exactly a hotbed of tourism.
    I'd be more in favour of closing off the triangle in the village for the weekends and designated times during the day to make it more accessible to locals rather than having it snarled up with traffic jams

It be more so for the locals. Lucan is full of cyclists and this provide safe access to the village which we don't have. Be a great running route also.

Village should be closed off at certain times for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

stoneill wrote: »
    Have they considered using the route up Lock Road to lower entrance to Vesey park, through the park and new cycle patch through to existing footbridge, and away through Griffeen Valley park. Village to canal without having to go through any housing estates.

This is a great idea, if the CPO some of the land that the new cemetery will use, it would link up well.

Advertisement